What to do in Costa Maya for free (or cheap)....

amurray88

Hi All,

What's the best activities in Costa Maya that are cheap and cheerful? Have excursions booked for Cozumel and Roatan, just looking for something simple (that isn't just the normal port based shops).

Beaches within walking distance of the port? Shops that are local and a wee bit different?

Ta!

Beach isnt great but free. Free pool. Can walk around and see the dolphins in their pools and flamingos.  I paid for the port pass to walk across the hanging bridges. 15.99 onboard but only 10.00 ahead of time. I like birds and wanted to do the hanging bridges. The flamingos have a little area you walk by. Free. Lots of stuff.

Krazy lobster I hear is just $20 a little past the port. 

The birds have 11 thatched huts up above everything connected by hanging bridges. Some of the birds were all over me. You go into the huts at your own pace and are in with the birds. They were in my hair, all over me. They especially liked me. You get a tiny cup of seeds. For a small amount could buy more. Cheap massages.

Flamingos pool, dolphins I was above but walked by later. A few birds. Hanging bridges

20220210_105619.jpg

20220210_110215.jpg

20220210_102355.jpg

20220210_103854.jpg

20220210_104015.jpg

20220210_104320.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Hi All,

What's the best activities in Costa Maya that are cheap and cheerful? Have excursions booked for Cozumel and Roatan, just looking for something simple (that isn't just the normal port based shops).

Beaches within walking distance of the port? Shops that are local and a wee bit different?

Ta!

Have you tried the ports of call board?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/102-costa-maya/

These questions are asked regularly. 

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

There's really not a lot to do that isn't a shore excursion.  There's some shops and a swimming pool right at the dock.  It's a fairly nice pool.  But not much else.

I thought a lot to do for a port area. Many kids would love to walk by and see dolphins jumping, no cost to walk by and watch. Some places charge to see flamingos. Beach isnt wonderful but free plus the nice big pool that is free. 

Sometimes I think people get jaded they have seen so much. 

• Like 1

We took our kids to Tropicante Beach Break a couple of years back. If you send them a message on FB or through their email, they'll reserve chairs for you. I know the owners sold it last year, but the old manager is the one who seems to have taken over. Finding your way out of the port can be challenging, and nobody will tell you where the exit is, so follow the excursion crowds then walk out the gate. Taxi's aren't(or at least weren't) allowed to come into the port area, but plenty are line up just outside the gate. We enjoyed our day there. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Krazy lobster I hear is just $20 a little past the port. 

Do you mean lobster is $20?

No charge to get into Krazy Lobster (other than “kitchen tax” (?) that is mysteriously added onto check) and lots of other items on menu.

1 minute ago, MiniChunks said:

We took our kids to Tropicante Beach Break a couple of years back. If you send them a message on FB or through their email, they'll reserve chairs for you. I know the owners sold it last year, but the old manager is the one who seems to have taken over. Finding your way out of the port can be challenging, and nobody will tell you where the exit is, so follow the excursion crowds then walk out the gate. Taxi's aren't(or at least weren't) allowed to come into the port area, but plenty are line up just outside the gate. We enjoyed our day there. 

Taxis now are inside port area.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Do you mean lobster is $20?

No charge to get into Krazy Lobster (other than “kitchen tax” (?) that is mysteriously added onto check) and lots of other items on menu.

Krazy lobster is very well known by those who go to costa maya. Go out the port and hang a left. I'm in costa maya right now docked lol oddly enough. 

Here it is on cruise critic. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d6508615-Reviews-The_Krazy_Lobster-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

50 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Hi All,

Ta!

following

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Krazy lobster is very well known by those who go to costa maya. Go out the port and hang a left. I'm in costa maya right now docked lol oddly enough. 

Here it is on cruise critic. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d6508615-Reviews-The_Krazy_Lobster-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

How is the sargassum this week?

LOL quite familiar with Krazy Lobster and menu - 3 short visits in 4 weeks! Not my favorite beach bar but still looking for a new special place in Mahahual.

However, it is clean and honest and fits OP’s, “reasonably cheap” requirement. Optional extra activities can be arranged from the beach or you can just eat, drink and go in the water. Of course everyone’s idea of cheap and cheerful is different - depends on your budget, expectations and personal sense of value for money.

No particularly special shops in Mahahual but lots of souvenir stands and constant flow of vendors coming to table.

Also Port area is OK to spend a few hours - higher prices for food and drink off set taxi fare to some extent, more variety of shops. It is overpriced but it can provide a convenient, no-hassle few hours with pool, tequila, chocolate and aviary, massage and wi-fi.

Was in Costa Maya last week and went to Krazy Lobster and had good time, coconut shrimp was really good $14 and bucket of 5 small Corona $5, had 30 minute deep tissue massage $30 also good.

The bathrooms need a lot of work.

Walked down to Tropicante and will probably go back there as beach seemed a little wider than  the Lobster.  Had a beer and definitely not as busy as the Lobster.