CPAP Rental?

Janet524

Posted this on the "Disabled Cruising" forum, but have gotten no replies.  Hoping someone familiar with Viking's services may have an answer or suggestion.  Thanks.

Friends are taking a Viking cruise in the Med in May.  He uses a CPAP.  Wanted to know if CPAPs can be rented for cruising in Europe. He doesn't want the hassle of taking his with him if they are available for renting on the cruise.  Any information will be appreciated.

I would certainly think that a CPAP rental, in a foreign country with differing brands of equipment, on a cruise ship where the medical device rental company does not exist or have a pulmonary therapist on board, would not be likely.  If the device is rented in the beginning port, and returned in the ending port, you could be in different countries. 

I’ve been a CPAP user for 16 years. I couldn’t imagine renting one - there are so many issues - settings, sanitary concerns, operation differences, etc. Most modern machines are small enough to travel with easily. BTW, he can request distilled water on MVJ.

You friend should look into a ResMed Mini.  The whole system fits into a small bag that takes up about the same space as a full frame DSLR but weighs less. Easily fits into a carry on bag.  They use a waterless humidifier system.  

• Like 1

FYI, your friend can carry a CPAP on board his flight and it won’t count against his carry on limit because it’s a medical device.  I would never rent a machine; mine is specifically calibrated to my needs.  It’s a pain carrying another bag but worth it for me because it ensures that my spouse and I will both get good nights sleep so we can fully enjoy our vacation.

• Like 3

Likewise, I purchased the CPAP mini years ago and have never regretted it. It came with adapters for any type of electrical outlet, a battery backup and is not much bigger than a soda can.  the machine (plus power cord, battery, extra hosse, masks etc fit neatly into a shoe bag packing cube.  It is certified to use on aircraft.  Cost me around 600 bucks back then and they are even cheaper now. Worth every penny, and I never have to unplug and drag around my bedside unit. 

I took my full-size Resmed CPAP with me.  I used it during the night on the plane, where I was able to plug it in.  A flight attendant did ask me if it was CPAP or oxygen.  Once I told him it was a CPAP, he left me alone.  

Even the full-size CPAP isn't that big, so it's easy enough to carry.  As someone said above, it doesn't count toward your personal item or carryon, so you don't have to stuff it into either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I took my full-size Resmed CPAP with me.  I used it during the night on the plane, where I was able to plug it in.  A flight attendant did ask me if it was CPAP or oxygen.  Once I told him it was a CPAP, he left me alone.  

Even the full-size CPAP isn't that big, so it's easy enough to carry.  As someone said above, it doesn't count toward your personal item or carryon, so you don't have to stuff it into either.

An important caveat. Most airlines DO NOT permit you to plug into seat power. Most require battery operation with 150% capacity to cover the entire time you are in the air. Very important to check with your specific airline!

• Like 1

Hey, knoxclone, small world! She probably lives down the street! Great place to live. After reading this thread I'm going to look into one of the mini CPAPs. Easier to deal with on those long flights.