Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

And if and when mask mandates should reappear, everyone must decide their comfort tolerance, those that move forward to cruise have already excepted this possibility. It's not news to anyone. If anyone is shocked by that, they haven't been paying attention.  

Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see mandatory masking reappear. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

My guess is the cruise lines will no longer allow B2B's.  Ignorance is bliss and not numbers they need to report, you know.  Or, pick up expenses of quarantine on land, etc.  JMO.  In reading most of the cruise line boards here on CC, many cases of COVID are found while doing the B2B testing.   How long can the cruise lines afford to provide quarantine hotel, expenses, etc?

Maybe.  I finished a b2b on Sunday.  I don’t know how many people tested positive on that run through.  I was negative.  I asked about the week before and they said no one tested positive.  While they may not have been telling the truth I tend to believe them.  The koningsdam was been green for cdc purposes for over 2 weeks.  I think not wear masks is more of a threat than a b2b.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Ken,

thank you for sharing your protocols.   May I ask how you approach meals?    I see another poster does “bite/sip and cover” when dining indoors.    We’re considering that or room service on our fall cruises; curious as to your approach.  

thanks,

Mary

On our first visit to the dining room we’ll be eating most of our meals at, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and that we are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

On our first visit to the dining room we’ll be eating most of our meals at, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

This makes sense.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see mandatory masking reappear. 

I can see mandatory masking in specfic situations such as this, where cases have been identified. I will be very surprised to see ships going back to full-blown mandatory masks for all sailings across the board in the US, unless something drastically changes in the number of cases being seen and the severity.  I fully expect mandatory vaccines and testing to be around for the forseeable future. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On our first visit to the dining room we’ll be eating most of our meals at, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

That is exactly what we did on the Grand. We spoke with the Hotel director Riccardo and head waiter Fabrizio and they got us socially distanced tables.  For breakfast and lunch we were at a table by a column - even then I got to the dining room (wearing my mask) about 20

to 30 minutes ahead each day after a woman complained she wanted the same table we had been assigned.  Be aware - we asked people to please not breathe down our necks but most people (80% unmasked on the Grand from 3/10-3/25) stood only inches behind everyone in line. 

I ate with my mask on for my meals (bite then chew with it on).  I only saw one person in two weeks doing the same thing and Grand was orange with lots of coughing on my trip. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

"Moved us the aloha deck using an interior ", sure sounds like they were stuck in an interior to me. 

They walked along halls on the interior of the ship to a balcony room on port side aloha deck. 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So, what unique situations are we going to run into on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise that we didn’t run into on our previous Celebrity cruises which will cause us to worry about catching C19?

It may simply be the different strains and different times you have been cruising. There have definitely been peaks and valleys on this virus - times when case numbers are higher and also lower. The new version of omicron is supposed to be more contagious. Too many variables. I cruised in December with out an incident. I am cruising next week and hope it goes the same way but will be prepared regardless. 

4 minutes ago, CACruiser1973 said:

That is exactly what we did on the Grand. We spoke with the Hotel director Riccardo and head waiter Fabrizio and they got us socially distanced tables.  For breakfast and lunch we were at a table by a column - even then I got to the dining room (wearing my mask) about 20 to 30 minutes ahead each day after a woman complained she wanted the same table we had been assigned.  Be aware - we asked people to please not breathe down our necks but most people (80% unmasked on the Grand from 3/10-3/25) stood only inches behind everyone in line. 

I ate with my mask on for my meals (bite then chew with it on).  I only saw one person in two weeks doing the same thing and Grand was orange with lots of coughing on my trip. 

That’s an important point. We have all been going through this pandemic together for the last 2 years. If you feel someone is encroaching in your safety space while standing in line, politely turnaround with your mask on and simply give the “the look”. That usually seems to work for us. 😁

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

It may simply be the different strains and different times you have been cruising. There have definitely been peaks and valleys on this virus - times when case numbers are higher and also lower. The new version of omicron is supposed to be more contagious. Too many variables. I cruised in December with out an incident. I am cruising next week and hope it goes the same way but will be prepared regardless. 

Our first B3B (21 days) was on the Celebrity Edge in August when Delta was peaking. Then we were on our Celebrity Apex B2B (16 days) in November when we were between C19 surges. But when Omicron reared up, we were on the Celebrity Constellation for a 21 day B2B from mid December to early January. Then we were back on a Celebrity Reflection B2B in February where the first leg (Feb 5-12) everyone had to wear a mask indoors, but masks became optional on the second leg when CDC downgraded their mask-wearing guidance. So, C19 was definitely in the now on most of our cruises.

8 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I wish that was true, but we did the walk from bow to 700 section and the number of red and orange status tags and yellow caution tape told us otherwise.

we ate 4 times in dining room all by 2nd formal night on the 20th. Would pick items for breakfast in horizon and move to a private area.

we only spent 1/2 day on deck. Since we were located on lido, we mostly picked up at the grill and drinks. It was our 30th and spent most of it together on our balcony.

I think eating in the dining room (inside) is the part I am worried the most about.

Thanks for your reports. We are all hoping you feel better tomorrow and get better quickly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Our first B3B (21 days) was on the Celebrity Edge in August when Delta was peaking. Then we were on our Celebrity Apex B2B (16 days) in November when we were between C19 surges. But when Omicron reared up, we were on the Celebrity Constellation for a 21 day B2B from mid December to early January. Then we were back on a Celebrity Reflection B2B in February where the first leg (Feb 5-12) everyone had to wear a mask indoors, but masks became optional on the second leg when CDC downgraded their mask-wearing guidance. So, C19 was definitely in the now on most of our cruises.

So many unknowns with this. Why do some healthy 20 year olds get bad cases when some elderly with known health issues escape severe cases when one would think the opposite? Just too many unknowns.

• Like 4

Can’t order food or drink from the app in quarantine area. Ordered 2 cokes with our lunch than never arrived and called to reorder. It’s now several hours after lunch without getting the soft drinks.

now all the call numbers they gave us just ring busy.

yea, I’m a whiner when I’m sick and thirsty for something cold in my sore throat

11 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I wish that was true, but we did the walk from bow to 700 section and the number of red and orange status tags and yellow caution tape told us otherwise.

we ate 4 times in dining room all by 2nd formal night on the 20th. Would pick items for breakfast in horizon and move to a private area.

we only spent 1/2 day on deck. Since we were located on lido, we mostly picked up at the grill and drinks. It was our 30th and spent most of it together on our balcony.

If I might ask, what are red and orange status tags and where did you see them? Also, what was the purpose of the yellow caution tape and was present in an inside or outside location?

The only time we’ve see red tags on cabin doors was during a norovirus outbreak on an Oceania cruise about 5 years ago and they signified the passengers in the cabin were in quarantine.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

So many unknowns with this. Why do some healthy 20 year olds get bad cases when some elderly with known health issues escape severe cases when one would think the opposite? Just too many unknowns.

Agree, and that’s why we will be getting our second booster next week as soon as the FDA and CDC approve it for those 65 and older.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Can’t order food or drink from the app in quarantine area. Ordered 2 cokes with our lunch than never arrived and called to reorder. It’s now several hours after lunch without getting the soft drinks.

yea, I’m a whiner when I’m sick and thirsty for something cold in my sore throat

You are not being a whiner.  It’s not to much to expect drinks or food.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Agree, and that’s why we will be getting our second booster next week as soon as the FDA and CDC approve it for those 65 and older.

I wish I could get a 4th one (second booster) before I leave. My booster is now 5 months old. It will be 6 months old when I return.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

i would be Iivid!!!

are you locked in that quarantine cabin?

They are putting your health at risk!! 

1 minute ago, 007colocruz said:

i would be Iivid!!!

are you locked in that quarantine cabin?

They are putting your health at risk!! 

Not locked in, but I’m about to put on a mask and see how far I can get towards getting some soft drinks and ice for our sore throats. Been trying to order dinner for an hour but all the lines they gave us are busy all the time

Just now, Optotronics said:

Not locked in, but I’m about to put on a mask and see how far I can get towards getting some soft drinks and ice for our sore throats. Been trying to order dinner for an hour but all the lines they gave us are busy all the time

Exactly what I would do!  Let us know if they even notice you’re OuT. 
I am not willing to put up with this. They must have more in quarantine then any are guessing n this cruise.

9 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I would have left after finding the poop!!  Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

If your husband is not quarantined with you, can he go in person to guest services to alert them that you are not receiving services in a timely manner?  

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

This isn’t right at all.  They should be giving food & especially non alcoholic drinks for quarantined folks.    It’s like they just are forgetting those that are in quarantine. 😒

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Wonder what would happen if you phoned the bridge-I did that by accident one cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3