Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard at https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#status-dashboard now shows the status of the Ruby Princess as orange.

It will be interesting to see how SF reacts to this.  I guess we will soon find out.  Best wishes to all those onboard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard at https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#status-dashboard now shows the status of the Ruby Princess as orange.

The more worrisome stat is that a LOT of the ships that are actually carrying passengers are either yellow or orange.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

It will be interesting to see how SF reacts to this.  I guess we will soon find out.  Best wishes to all those onboard.

Ruby Princess is currently sailing by Santa Barbara so San Francisco Port Authority has some time to decide on the best course of action along with various public health agencies.

21 minutes ago, caribill said:

= possibly more Covid.

Everyone must decide their risk tolerance, those that move forward to cruise have already excepted this possibility. It's not news to anyone. If anyone is shocked by that, they haven't been paying attention.  

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, brisalta said:

And if my understanding is correct, that's not a lot of cases to trip into that status.  Gives a different picture than this long and growing thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Would I expect compensation from Princess?  No, I would not. 

But people do want compensation even when they know they are taking a risk.  The very people who said they just want to cruise under any circumstances are the same wanting to be given FCC or free cruise. 

At some point the cruise line has to determine how much this whole thing is costing them compared to the increased revenue with more passengers.  Are they really making money if they are constantly paying for peoples quarantine?  Giving OBC?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If they reinstate the masks (that the overwhelming majority of cruisers don't like) there will be loads of cancellations and empty ships. 

Uh huh.

There were previously mask requirements, and ships were not empty!

Lots of people here are really, really anxious to cruise, even if there are restrictions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We’ve been on 9 Celebrity cruises, 8 of which (spanning 65 days) didn’t have a mask mandate and we also went on over 20+ cruise line-sponsored excursions, and we never got infected with C19. But then we’re antisocial and pretty much avoid other passengers whenever possible.

We are so excited about going on our first Princess cruise next month, which will be an 18 day Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess leaving out of San Francisco.

We use the stairwell whenever feasible, but will mask up if we choose to use the elevator and will exit if it subsequently becomes overcrowded. We wear a mask when we’re on an excursion and when we’re in situations onboard where we can’t social distance. When we’re in the theater we will sit in out of the way locations and we never hang out at the pool or in the lounges. However, when we go to game shows if we can’t social distance, we’ll put our mask on. However, during downtimes we will usually hang out on our balcony playing games and posting to CC.

So, what unique situations are we going to run into on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise that we didn’t run into on our previous Celebrity cruises which will cause us to worry about catching C19?

As a side note, we’re in our late 60s and simply love to cruise and will do whatever is deemed necessary to stay safe while on a cruise.  We will wash our hands when we get back to the cabin, use the hand sanitizer dispensers whenever we’re entering and leaving the MDR or theater, and boarding the ship after an excursion. We also avoid using the public bathrooms. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 6

I know this is very hot topic and people are flipping out over it rightfully so,  but let’s not forget to keep respectful to each other, keep on topic and remember the covid guidelines that Laura put out. 

• Like 11

Wow... Went golfing and just sitting down to check on @Optotronics and status of ship and thread is 8 pages long and only on page 4...

I would also like thank @Optotronics for keeping us updated and sharing what it's like having current strain of Covid while on a cruise ship. As mentioned by several others, do not stress about getting back and all the other stuff. You are sick and contagious and that will not help you at this point.

So my friend and I have been texting back and forth and it appears he has no clue how serious this outbreak is (nor most everyone onboard). What he did share with me is he went to Trivia with DW (both been wearing mask the whole time) and he said there was a Zumba class in same room before Trivia started and no one was wearing mask (this was after the announcement from Captain last night everyone must wear mask).

We discussed other things but, he did share that though they have worn masks the whole time while onboard, they did drop them while having meals. They are not feeling any symptoms but, it was one of those oh-oh moments while we were talking how this could be passed between people wearing masks.

I'll catch up with all the other posts now and truly pray everyone will make it out of this situation and get healthy quickly.

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On my last Ruby Princess cruise (Jan 2022) out of SF we had an outbreak during the cruise.  On the last sea day before disembarkation, the port of SF required a random sample (20 or 25% if I recall correctly) of passengers to be tested before we arrived.  We received a call that we had been selected and we had to report for the test that evening.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Level six said:

But people do want compensation even when they know they are taking a risk.  The very people who said they just want to cruise under any circumstances are the same wanting to be given FCC or free cruise. 

At some point the cruise line has to determine how much this whole thing is costing them compared to the increased revenue with more passengers.  Are they really making money if they are constantly paying for peoples quarantine?  Giving OBC?  

The reason cruise lines say they will cover these costs is to encourage bookings.

They can minimize these costs by applying the best known practices to prevent the spread of the virus.

Yes, we can assume there will likely be at least one passenger embarking on any cruise that is contagious with the virus and does not know it.

So onboard, the cruise lines should do what is known to prevent such spread of an easily transmissible disease.

Science has been finding that even mild cases of Covid can lead to body damage that will not show up until later. This includes damage that has already led to increased deaths from heat attacks and strokes.

Whether on a cruise or on land, people should do their best to avoid catching or spreading the virus even if ignoring the risks is easier.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hopefully you’ll soon be notified if it’s Covid or something else…either way so sorry that both of you are experiencing severe symptoms & hopefully you’ll feel better soon.

We board Discovery in LA tomorrow for 2 weeks & hopefully won’t experience any outbreaks. We’ll have additional exposure to other passengers during embarkation because there is no terminal at the pier. Check-in & bag drop off at a vacant terminal to wait for shuttles to the ship.

The port of LA still requires masking indoors and inside the tents so you should be ok there. I would assume the busses will too but not certain. Enjoy that beautiful new Discovery! 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So, what unique situations are we going to run into on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise that we didn’t run into on our previous Celebrity cruises which will cause us to worry about catching C19?

We will run into the newest variant. That is always what will be different from all of our previous experiences.  I think the protocols (game) you outlined in a different post will be fine even in this environment.  The 95 style mask keeps the vast majority crew covid negative.  Many I know have been on board many months and are still covid free. Even now with passengers being maskless and getting sick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Level six said:

Before I took the July 25, 2021 inaugural sailing on the Majestic I read the entire new passenger contract. Uggggghh 

Long story short Princess is not responsible for anything covid related.  They explicitly state they aren’t responsible for so much as your “disappointment”.
I am not going to post a link to the contract.  If you are sailing with Princess and have not read ALL of it well………that’s on you. And I mean the Royal you not you @Level six lol. I’m just tagging on to  your thought. 

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

The port of LA still requires masking indoors and inside the tents so you should be ok there. I would assume the busses will too but not certain. Enjoy that beautiful new Discovery! 

Hi @HBCcruiser  DH and I are on the Discovery April 10. I’ll take a Lyft from check in to the ship. I’d rather walk than take a bus with unmasked folks. Aaaaand it might come down to it. Lol. Like @Ken the cruiserwe have a pretty good game we play to travel extensively and stay safe. Hope you are doing well!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi @HBCcruiser  DH and I are on the Discovery April 10. I’ll take a Lyft from check in to the ship. I’d rather walk than take a bus with unmasked folks. Aaaaand it might come down to it. Lol. Like @Ken the cruiserwe have a pretty good game we play to travel extensively and stay safe. Hope you are doing well!  

Glad to hear that! Yes all good here, thanks. I’m getting ready to get back on the Grand again for the 15-day Hawaii cruise with mom, bro and SIL. Can’t wait! Enjoy your cruise! Stay healthy and safe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

So my friend and I have been texting back and forth and it appears he has no clue how serious this outbreak is (nor most everyone onboard). What he did share with me is he went to Trivia with DW (both been wearing mask the whole time) and he said there was a Zumba class in same room before Trivia started and no one was wearing mask (this was after the announcement from Captain last night everyone must wear mask).

We discussed other things but, he did share that though they have worn masks the whole time while onboard, they did drop them while having meals. They are not feeling any symptoms but, it was one of those oh-oh moments while we were talking how this could be passed between people wearing masks.

Sad that the crew are not enforcing mask wearing.  Whoever was leading the Zumba class should have made sure everyone was wearing their mask.  No one wearing their mask is quite disturbing!  

When we were on the Regal in February when masks were still mandatory there were some people who disregarded the rules and no one said anything.  Luckily it was a small percentage but it was quite annoying how arrogant these people were.  I did notice in the MDR how about 99% of the people walk in masked (you had to do so) but the second they sat down the mask came off.  This is not sip and cover.  Dh and I wore our masks always except if we were literally eating.  If you are not wearing your mask then you are sitting in the MDR with lots of other people for almost two hours in a crowded room with no mask.

When we cruise we always would share a table with others.  Not this time.  Table for two.  They were a little further apart than they used to be preCovid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Optotronics said:

they will reimburse us for the day in quarantine cabin as a future credit (like we would come back with only 1 day credit given).

Is that cash-value FCC or goodwill FCC? If cash-value I'd cash it in. And I've got 3 future cruises booked

Masks do not need to be worn during the Zumba classes as it is considered vigorous exercise.  Have sailed Majestic, Ruby and Grand multiple times since October with no masks required in the classes.   Masks are required prior and after class.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’ve been on 9 Celebrity cruises, 8 of which (spanning 65 days) didn’t have a mask mandate and we also went on over 20+ cruise line-sponsored excursions, and we never got infected with C19. But then we’re antisocial and pretty much avoid other passengers whenever possible.

We are so excited about going on our first Princess cruise next month, which will be an 18 day Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess leaving out of San Francisco.

We use the stairwell whenever feasible, but will mask up if we choose to use the elevator and will exit if it subsequently becomes overcrowded. We wear a mask when we’re on an excursion and when we’re in situations onboard where we can’t social distance. When we’re in the theater we will sit in out of the way locations and we never hang out at the pool or in the lounges. However, when we go to game shows if we can’t social distance, we’ll put our mask on. However, during downtimes we will usually hang out on our balcony playing games and posting to CC.

As a side note, we’re in our late 60s and simply love to cruise and will do whatever is deemed necessary to stay safe while on a cruise.  We will wash our hands when we get back to the cabin, use the hand sanitizer dispensers whenever we’re entering and leaving the MDR or theater, and boarding the ship after an excursion. We also avoid using the public bathrooms. 😎

Ken,

thank you for sharing your protocols.   May I ask how you approach meals?    I see another poster does “bite/sip and cover” when dining indoors.    We’re considering that or room service on our fall cruises; curious as to your approach.  

thanks,

Mary