Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

Well this thread started to get a little sideways as any thread on CC does at 9 pages.

I’ll just report about the last texts I had with my friend onboard (I’m not and haven’t made any personal judgments regarding Princess protocols nor going with/without masks).

He said he thinks Princess has done everything they could do to stay safe. Sanitizers everywhere; crew always masked, everything kept cleaned and sanitize. In addition; he heard that if anyone contacted medical or try to purchase cold medicine at ship store was automatically tested for Covid.

And the last thing was they had friends onboard (not with them but just ran into them) that were tested and positive two days ago and sent to quarantine on aloha deck.

Good night all 🙂

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, Grover_ said:

If your husband is not quarantined with you, can he go in person to guest services to alert them that you are not receiving services in a timely manner?  

We used the crew chat and they are trying. They just delivered ice and pops, but no glasses at all in our room.

reading lamp doesn’t work. I think they gave us a room used for spare parts, but there’s a previous occupant name on the tv and room door, so maybe not.

whohoo glasses just arrived and it’s amazing how much an ice cold soda satisfies when you need one and waited since 12:30 when we ordered lunch.

im still wondering what they will do tomorrow.

our hotel we had booked said we are not welcome with Covid and I don’t know if it’s up to us to find a room or if they are taking all us out of town people to a special hotel. I sure dot. Want to be home less for 5 days.

• Like 2

Hopefully the congested room service isn’t a sign of a wider-spread contagion, but it might also be due to concerned passengers going into hunker-mode.  Whatever the cause, the lack of attention to quarantine cabins is distressing.  So sorry you are going through this, but grateful you are sharing your experiences which we’ll take into consideration before finalizing our 2023 cruise.  Hoping your pet-sitter can help ensure your critter is fed if your trip home is delayed.

15 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

if anyone contacted medical or try to purchase cold medicine at ship store was automatically tested for Covid.

This was our experience on the Sky in November. The clerk in the store called and reported a customer had just purchased Tums and said someone should follow up with the customer. I assume she contacted the medical department but obviously I don’t know this for sure. 

So 12:30- 8:00 pm to get your lunch soda delivered in discusting quarantine room.  Please make sure you document this. 
I have read about this situation in Ft Lauderdale, CA.  They have a couple of hotels they will take you to or if you can find better they will pay a portion of the cost, & an allowance for meals you will have to order in. 
atleast you are off the ship in the morning something to look forward to. 
Do not put up with them putting you in a van/ bus of crowded positive Covid passengers.  Let us know how you are doing.

46 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

Exactly what I would do!  Let us know if they even notice you’re OuT. 
I am not willing to put up with this. They must have more in quarantine then any are guessing n this cruise.

If they do, wouldn't they have to be red?  Since then it's a spreading situation?  Kind of rhetorical question since none of us knows today.... well on this thread anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

This was our experience on the Sky in November. The clerk in the store called and reported a customer had just purchased Tums and said someone should follow up with the customer. I assume she contacted the medical department but obviously I don’t know this for sure. 

Crew possibly are told to report contact.

19 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

We used the crew chat and they are trying. They just delivered ice and pops, but no glasses at all in our room.

reading lamp doesn’t work. I think they gave us a room used for spare parts, but there’s a previous occupant name on the tv and room door, so maybe not.

whohoo glasses just arrived and it’s amazing how much an ice cold soda satisfies when you need one and waited since 12:30 when we ordered lunch.

im still wondering what they will do tomorrow.

our hotel we had booked said we are not welcome with Covid and I don’t know if it’s up to us to find a room or if they are taking all us out of town people to a special hotel. I sure dot. Want to be home less for 5 days.

Why is it taking so long for them to let you know where you are going? You would need to cancel your hotel reservation for tomorrow, as well. 

We are heading out next week, and are going knowing that we may be away for an extended time, after our cruise, should we get Covid.
  I think everyone should also plan for those extra days as a back up. I do think Princess has been upfront about what happens if you get it. I’m sorry about your pet care, I’m sure something will work out for you. 

1 minute ago, Redwing55 said:

If they do, wouldn't they have to be red?  Since then it's a spreading situation?  Kind of rhetorical question since none of us knows today.... well on this thread anyway.

Let me say-  in the UK news today, positive Covid cases are up one million over the past week.

no restrictions there where Princess will be sailing out of starting Monday. Yes, the ship requires Covid test, but Uk no longer require testing nor quarantine. Covid positive cases are walking around freely to spread virus .

in this case, on the Ruby, lack of food and water, service while in a quarantine cabin can lead some to go in to a diabetic coma.

which would you choose?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Why is it taking so long for them to let you know where you are going? You would need to cancel your hotel reservation for tomorrow, as well. 

We are heading out next week, and are going knowing that we may be away for an extended time, after our cruise, should we get Covid.
  I think everyone should also plan for those extra days as a back up. I do think Princess has been upfront about what happens if you get it. I’m sorry about your pet care, I’m sure something will work out for you. 

in writing Princess lays out a reasonable plan.

however we are hearing from actual people who are being mistreated or it seems forgotten. 
No one wants to spread the virus, but there’s a breaking point.

I am leaving thread. 
no excuse for way this couple has had to deal with filthy toilet, waiting so long for food and drinks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

Not locked in, but I’m about to put on a mask and see how far I can get towards getting some soft drinks and ice for our sore throats. Been trying to order dinner for an hour but all the lines they gave us are busy all the time

Just open your room door and see if they come running

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

That's because it isn't nearly as serious as is being made out here. COVID is on every ship. It is in every grocery store. It is freaking everywhere. This "outbreak" is being blown way out of proportion. I'm sorry the OP got sick. It happens. It will continue to happen. Hopefully it won't happen to us but we still plan to cruise.

Odd that there were no outbreaks when Princess had enhanced protocols on their ships and then when they basically do away with them they are starting to have problems on their ships.  It is only going to get worse probably as BA.2 Omnicron Subvariant spreads throughout US.  Let’s not forget that the Ruby Princess’s history is that over 900 cases of Covid 19 and 28 deaths were linked to the ship in March 2020.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Dinner arrived, but they seen to never get it right or leave out a critical component, like bringing our dinner with 1 set of silverware, lucky we had an old fork from lunch.

I know they are scrambling and one doesn’t know what the other does or doesn’t.

crew chat told us that we have to call the hotel and make reservations. So we do and the person at the hotel said they had 2 large groups booked already and it has to be done through princess. So had to call back. It’s all taken care of now, after we put down $1000 deposit for our stay by credit card. They said they would provide vans and or ambulance to transfer us. I did get them to remove medical charges for either the tests they for calling the nurse for advice not sure.

all we need to do is figure out airlines flights and someone who can care for our pets for 5 days.

we have the water and ice and just finished dinner and put our bags out.

I was so looking forward to this cruise and having such fun and good times. Maybe I’ll wake up in the morning and find out we are just about emBark on this cruise and it was just a bad dream… I wish.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

Radiance is green, no ships are red. 

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

The CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard at https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#status-dashboard now shows the status of the Ruby Princess as orange.

I have been reporting that the Ruby has been in the Orange since the 24th according to the CDC.  And besides the Ruby being Orange, so is the Majestic, the Grand & the Caribbean Princess.  Princess must have been aware before that even.   Wondering if any of the other ships besides the Ruby have told their passengers.  So that way the choice is yours , be cautious or not.  Give us the #s from day one.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Club quarters.

is it a nice place to spend 5 days in quarantine?

I’m not familiar with this hotel so I can’t comment on it since I’ve not stayed there. It’s not far from Pier 27 so it will be a short ride to get there. On TripAdvisor it’s rated 4.5 stars and #23 out of 251 hotels which is a high rating for SF.

4 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Masks do not need to be worn during the Zumba classes as it is considered vigorous exercise.  Have sailed Majestic, Ruby and Grand multiple times since October with no masks required in the classes.   Masks are required prior and after class.

And guess what, those are all the ships that are in the Orange according to the CDC.   Or are those the ships that are not enforcing the rules very well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

I have been reporting that the Ruby has been in the Orange since the 24th according to the CDC.  And besides the Ruby being Orange, so is the Majestic, the Grand & the Caribbean Princess.  Princess must have been aware before that even. 

Looking ahead, if cruise ships keep having these Covid cases, ports of call may end up refusing to allow them to enter.

It is in the cruise industry's best interest to have and enforce protocols that will reduce the number of people on board contracting Covid while on a cruise.

• Like 9