Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

The positivity rate is unknown for another reason. With the widespread availability of home test kits, most people who test positive are finding out at home with no requirement that they report in their results. If you test positive and self-medicate ( or just wait it out) at home, you pass through the whole process without a soul knowing unless you choose to tell someone. Because of this, the positivity rate in any measurable population has to be way higher than any statistic based on out-of-the-home PCR testing. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Joy_K said:

I could not join him. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I hope you will consider continuing to keep us updated as you sail to HA and back.

I hope DH does not feel too poorly and rejoins you soon. It’s a good thing you were able to advocate on the outside for him though. Perhaps a meeting with the director of guest services or the hotel general manager is in order to highlight the lack of priority of room service to those in quarantine.  This simply is unacceptable.  

I am wondering if not joining DH in quarantine was your choice or did Princess forbid it?  In the recent posts and also from a conversation I had with medical on board the Ruby this year negative passengers could choose to quarantine with positive travel companions. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am wondering if not joining DH in quarantine was your choice or did Princess forbid it?  In the recent posts and also from a conversation I had with medical on board the Ruby this year negative passengers could choose to quarantine with positive travel companions. 

I was not given the choice to join him.  When the phone call came that he was positive and I was negative they started with choice then I heard someone in background saying no, no, no can't offer that now.

Perhaps this is a recent change.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Somewhere in one of the posts the number was 120.

Not counting those who found out they were positive when they got home.

I wonder if the CDC would qualify this as RED level?

But the OP said that there were 100 people taken off the ship when they docked, before the rest of the passengers got off?  That number included traveling companions of the person infected.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could not believe how long the line was at Pier 27 today in San Francisco.  I'm not a passenger, just wanted to take photos of the ship from Coit Tower and down at the dock.  Never seen such a long line before; pre-pandemic, I was in the terminal building within a few minutes.  Just looking at all the people in line, many not masked.  Knowing the ship had positive cases, this could explain why such a long wait.

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

But the OP said that there were 100 people taken off the ship when they docked, before the rest of the passengers got off?  That number included traveling companions of the person infected.  

The person said that his wife counted over 100 and we don’t know if that was the total group. B2B people were allowed to stay on the ship. There were people who are just finding out when they get home they have it. There were probably people who self tested on board and didn’t report it. Someone said there were 120, but it’s obvious that there were more. Less than 1600 passengers and more than 120 people have Covid.  Imagine what could happen with 3000 passengers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akit said:

I could not believe how long the line was at Pier 27 today in San Francisco.  I'm not a passenger, just wanted to take photos of the ship from Coit Tower and down at the dock.  Never seen such a long line before; pre-pandemic, I was in the terminal building within a few minutes.  Just looking at all the people in line, many not masked.  Knowing the ship had positive cases, this could explain why such a long wait.

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

At what time did you take the photographs?

38 minutes ago, brisalta said:

At what time did you take the photographs?

12:30-ish near Coit Tower, and 1:30-ish at the pier.  From walking by the lines, there was at least two of them funneling into the terminal building, and it was moving slowly.  Did see passengers slowly get aboard, few on their balconies at 1:30.

Update: Ship left SF at 6:18PM via VesselFinder.  

Edited by Akit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Joy_K said:

I was not given the choice to join him.  When the phone call came that he was positive and I was negative they started with choice then I heard someone in background saying no, no, no can't offer that now.

Oh Dear! Just as well. You would certainly have been infected if you had joined your DH in isolation.

This way, Princess doesn't add you to the numbers they report to the CDC.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:54 PM, Bgwest said:

I’ve just stumbled my way through all 8 pages and find that I’m curious about something. 

Apart from the single cruiser who describes this as being the worst experience ever (or similar words), I’ve not seen other posts describing being really sick. 

Yes, posts describing positive test results and some sore throats but happily, nothing serious sounding. 

If cold and mild flu symptoms are all that are being reported (apart from the aforementioned poster), what’s all the fuss about?

Please don’t misunderstand, I pray for a speedy recovery for those who are ill. I’m just confused about the “serious outbreak”. 

There isn’t now, nor has there ever been a prohibition against  mask wearing by any cruise line. If it provides peace of mind, wear one. Or two. Or three. Or alternatively, as has already been suggested, if nothing else works, vote with your wallet and avoid cruising. 

Even if you feel fine, a positive COVID test can keep you from being able to return home. This is a huge problem for a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Somewhere in one of the posts the number was 120.

Not counting those who found out they were positive when they got home.

I wonder if the CDC would qualify this as RED level?

I don't think so.  I haven't seen or heard of a ship classified as RED by the CDC ever.  And the Ruby kicked out all its passengers (including the positive ones), loaded up new passengers (including, hopefully, no new positive ones 😛), and headed out yesterday evening.  All of this with the CDC's blessing.

9 hours ago, Joy_K said:

Perhaps this is a recent change.

Thank you for answering my question.  It does sound like a new change. It seems the response system became a bit taxed.  I am sure in a caregiver situation (child or elder) an exception would be made. This is the reason the medical officer gave me when I asked if one could choose. 

Take care and smooth sailing. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, AZjohn said:

Just got a text back from him.

He said an announcement was made last night that some passengers and crew had Covid symptoms, and everyone must wear masks outside their cabin. He also heard from a crew member that many entertainers caught Covid during their stop in Costa Rica (who knows how true this might be). 

He said he had worn his mask the whole trip. He said many passengers also did while many did not.

Nobody is going to know all the facts or numbers with this one

COVID Symptoms?  So it wasn't reported that people tested positive?  COVID symptoms could be the same as a dozen other things.  Just curious, did they actually say people tested positive so the mask mandate was being initiated?  

35 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Joy_Kor anyone else currently onboard. Did the Captain keep the masking order in place?  

As far as I know, it’s recommended but not required. But many people (possibility most) are wearing masks. We are wearing masks. 

There was really only one line to go into the terminal yesterday. There was a much shorter line for people who needed to be tested. I don’t know if that then got them a faster entrance into the terminal (it would have been worth it).  I waited at least 90 minutes outside, and it was amazing to me that, the line where I started in it grew to become as long as the line I waited in, so I could extrapolate that to mean the outside line grew to be three hours long. About 3:30pm, the captain announced that there were still people waiting to board. We did not sail until about 6pm. I felt so badly for those people older than me who had to stand all that time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you for answering my question.  It does sound like a new change. It seems the response system became a bit taxed.  I am sure in a caregiver situation (child or elder) an exception would be made. This is the reason the medical officer gave me when I asked if one could choose. 

Take care and smooth sailing. 

I believe that change was in the voluntary participation requirements when the CDC offered that program to the cruiselines.  No cohorting of positive and negative passengers.  I know they can’t take that stance for caretakers, though.  

2 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

Looks like what we experienced January 16 at Pier 27

We were on the cruise right before that one and the one right after that one.  We really lucked out as we understood both had really long lines to board… ours?  Not so much,