Live Review Allure 4/10/22-4/16/22

7 hours ago, eabplus2 said:

The food looks devine. I'm thinking of purchasing the CHOPS dining as a surprise for my husband. He's a big steak lover. Worth it?

Based on MxCatLady’s thoughts, the filet at Giovanni’s was much better than the filet at Chops, so unless he LOVES mushroom soup, I would consider Giovanni’s if you want something special, and just the MDR if you want any type of steak. It was both of our least favorite places we ate, but I am sure other folks here love it.

Yesterday was a chill ship day for us. We did not get off in Costa Maya, and instead, had the solarium pool to ourselves for a little before a few others folks trickled in. MxCatLady had their first Miami vice, while I got a frozen virgin mojito. After much room and hot tub time (the cantilevered tub was much warmed than the solarium tub), we headed down to the Boardwalk to see Ross at Sabor again. He was so lovely; GF chips from their own special fryer, and letting me order a hodge podge of items, including GF yucca fries! I love yucca, and it is so hard to find. I was worried the mango habenero sauce would be too spicy, but it was perfect, and my virgin avocado frozen margarita was interesting and tasty. MxCatLady got more queso fundito and tried the pork burrito, which they said was tasty. Ross grabbed me two different slices of flourless chocolate cake, one regular and one with frosting, to take back to our room for a snack later.

Back to our cabin for a nap before dressing for formal night a Giovanni’s. I did my Buffalo mozzarella salad again (with extra basil), a side of Gorgonzola sauce with GF pasta, and the mushroom risotto, which was beyond phenomenal. MxCatLady went for the mussels, which our server told us someone had sent back earlier, and it was ok to do so. Of course, MxCatLady was planning to just suck it up and eat them, and the first ones were fine, but then they had one with a lot of sand, and wound up just asking for the cheese part of the cheese plank. They got the filet again, and the gnocchi again, and continued to be beyond delighted by both. 

Post dinner, we popped down to the ice show. Some technical difficulties at the beginning, but it restarted, and went well. It was a hard crowd; as a former competitive figure skater, and some of the moves that were landed were pretty impressive, yet few folks clapped. I know some folks don’t love the show; yes, it is cheesy and more showgirl style than Olympic style. It’s also done on a teeney tiny rink on a ship that is moving up and down while you are trying to jump and spin on it. It was a nice way to pass an hour, not something I would go to multiple times, but definitely fun and any night that no one gets hurt, I would say is a good night.

After this, we walked around Central Park a bit. It really is lovely at night. Too hot and humid during the day, but sunset and onwards? One of my favorite places on the ship. Then we went up to 15 and walked along the deck to get back to the aft elevators and to our room for audio book night.

• Like 3

Wow, looks like you had the pool all to yourselves!  That’s going to be my plan for Costa Maya day as well.  The avocado margarita sounds interesting, I’ll definitely be trying that and I love their spicy margarita so that’s on my list too.  Central Park is also my favorite part of the ship in the evening, was there any entertainment? Love sitting there and listening to the music. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1

Just caught up again! Thanks for the wonderful review, I am really enjoying it!

We have been going back and forth on whether or not to even try Chops this cruise with our daughter. Hubby and I just ate there a few weeks ago on Adventure, and we will get another chance on Serenade in July. So, after reading about your experience, I'm thinking we will double up other restaurants and skip Chops for her. It just seems to me that they could come up with something for vegetarians, even if it is a steak house, besides just the sides. 

I hope you have been enjoying your last day! We can't wait to board Allure in a few weeks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Just caught up again! Thanks for the wonderful review, I am really enjoying it!

We have been going back and forth on whether or not to even try Chops this cruise with our daughter. Hubby and I just ate there a few weeks ago on Adventure, and we will get another chance on Serenade in July. So, after reading about your experience, I'm thinking we will double up other restaurants and skip Chops for her. It just seems to me that they could come up with something for vegetarians, even if it is a steak house, besides just the sides. 

I hope you have been enjoying your last day! We can't wait to board Allure in a few weeks!

I totally agree. Even a stuffed portobello or something! It’s the only place (other than Samba Grill of course) that does not have at least ONE vegetarian entree. So odd, especially since most of the packages require at least one night there.

I am so excited for you to enjoy your cruise and hope you have an amazing time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Wow, looks like you had the pool all to yourselves!  That’s going to be my plan for Costa Maya day as well.  The avocado margarita sounds interesting, I’ll definitely be trying that and I love their spicy margarita so that’s on my list too.  Central Park is also my favorite part of the ship in the evening, was there any entertainment? Love sitting there and listening to the music. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Yes to really lovely music. We have enjoyed the Spanish Guitar and also a Brass line one night.

and I hope you have an amazing time too! Definitely enjoy the Solarium if you can during Costa Maya. It was beyond delightful to have so much space to ourselves, especially given how crowded it gets on sea days (we totally avoid it then).

6 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I totally agree. Even a stuffed portobello or something! It’s the only place (other than Samba Grill of course) that does not have at least ONE vegetarian entree. So odd, especially since most of the packages require at least one night there.

I am so excited for you to enjoy your cruise and hope you have an amazing time.

Is this new that Chops is required with the UDP? Just off Odyssey and this was not mentioned. We did not reserve Chops for any dinner.

7 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Is this new that Chops is required with the UDP? Just off Odyssey and this was not mentioned. We did not reserve Chops for any dinner.

She said most of the packages.   UDP allows for you to pick with limited restrictions.   

9 hours ago, elena S. said:

Hello!

What about the water temperature in the pool, please ? Is the water  too cold ? Salty?  Clean? Thank you!

I found it perfect. Wasn’t too hard to ease into, but cool enough really enjoy. I found the solarium hot tubs to be too cool (they were warm tubs), but the cantilevered tubs (at least during port days) were much warmer. All of them appeared very clean.

• Like 2

Ok, catching up now that we are safely at home.

The last sea day, we spent mostly chilling in our room. We went up to Izumi for lunch (my second time and MxCatLady’s first). Our server Anwar was amazing! He worked with the kitchen to make me a version of the tofu/veggie udon, but with rice noodles and tamarind, so a more general stir fry of sorts and it was very tasty (I also had an avocado roll and a cream cheese/cucumber rolls). MxCatLady started with the firecracker shrimp (“yum!”), the nigiri selection (which they say included   best yellow tail they’ve ever had), and the Ryu Futomaki roll (which was one of the prettiest rolls we have ever seen, and it was “very very good!”). They couldn’t finish it so took half to go, and I got the green tea mocha for dessert which tasted homemade and was some of the best mochi ice cream I have had. Overall, an excellent experience!

Upon returning to our cabin, we tried to (finally) play the To Hunt A Killer game we have been trying to make time to play forever…but found it required components from a website, and obviously that wasn’t happening with the internet issues, so we enjoyed some balcony time, fresh juice from Vitality Cafe, and more of our audio book. First dinner, it was time for my crustacean dress to make its regular appearance. I had ordered a strawberry bisque (off menu cold soup, SO yummy!), the grilled avocado from the vegan menu (looked interesting, but was so unripe I could not even cut it, so sadly sent it back), and we both got the saffron olive risotto (which was actually quite good, but the timing was hard since I had just had the AMAZING risotto from Giovanni’s the previous night). MxCatLady also got the Mississippi mud pie (tasted good but not spectacular; similar to a frozen Marie Calendar’s pie). We said our goodbyes to our staff and left tips, and gave fond farewells to folks at other tables we had chatted up.

Between dinners, we packed up and put our suitcases in hallway…so sad. Then we made our way to 150 CP for our last UDP dinner. MxCatLady ordered the amazing bread and the braised short rib again, the beet salad, and the halibut. Flavor wise, they said everything was phenomenal but the fish was overcooked a smidge. They finished with the fried cheesecake. I did a selection of apps and sides; both the sunchoke and the pumpkin soups (the latter being one of my favs), the beet salad, and a side of polenta with some veggies. I had asked for the black currant sorbet again, but they only had mango (not nearly as good), and I also got their selection of cheeses (much better than the cheese plate in the MDR). What a lovely meal to finish on! However, it was SO windy and pouring , so they let us sneak through the back way back onto the inside of the ship, which was much appreciated.

We listened to more of our book, and the empty hangers clanging in the closet before heading to sleep. The next morning, we were up around 7:45 to get everything down to On Air for our 8:30 wheelchair reservation. It was super quick to get off the ship, but we had to wait for a pusher in the terminal which took the longest. The custom scan was amazing and so fast, and we were done! My aunt, who I haven’t seen in years, picked us up. We stopped for coffee (they also had a GF match chia pudding and an amazing GF brownie I ate later on the plane), and then we drove around the Gayborhood (Wilton Manors) before heading to the airport. 

I will add a few more pics, and then our top 5 lists. Thanks so much for following along. If you like my style of writing or of wearing, I will likely have a live review of me and MrCatLady doing Voyager in the Baltics in May, and them MxCatLady and I will be back afloat in August on the Quantum in Alaska. 💜💋

• Like 9

And our final lists, in case they help you:

MxCatLady:

5 best things overall 

Intentional down time together

Somewhere so fun and adventurous feeling while also being accessible.

Having the sloth hug them 

Ocean aria

Finally having a space that felt relatively safe to navigate as part of a couple with immuno compromise 

5 top foods

Giovanni’s filet

Gnocchi Gorgonzola in Giovanni’s 

150 CP bread

Mushroom soup at chops 

Fried cheesecake at 150 CP

5 top drinks

Frozen sweet and sour (MDR)

Pina colada

Garden martini at 150 Central Park 

Fresh juices at Vitality Cafe 

Triple mocha iced

5 “skip it” items 

Mussels At Giovanni’s 

Everything but the mushroom soup at Chops

Cheese plate at the MDR

Onboard shops 

Me: 

5 best things overall 

The animal excursion!

Sitting on the balcony watching/listening to the waves 

Being in a place with people that felt relatively safe (given that I have been almost completely isolated for two years)

Ocean Aria 

Amazing (and safe!) food (and not having to clean up)

Runner up: dressing up

5 top foods

Pumpkin bisque in 150 CP

GF pasta with Gorgonzola sauce in Giovanni’s

Mushroom risotto in Giovanni’s

Almond cake in MDR 

In the MDR for lunch, the sides that usually come with the cod (it was spinach and potatoes and this tomato/caper salad). Total surprise but so good 

5 top drinks

Virgin mojito

Virgin avocado margarita 

Fresh squeezed juices

Gemai cha in Izumi 

Virgin garden martini in 150 CP 

5 “skip it” items 

Chops

70s disco party

The surf internet package 

Pool deck on sea days 

On board shopping (used to be much better)

• Like 10

This was so wonderful and helpful to read!  Glad you enjoyed yourselves and are back safe and sound.  I HAVE to know about the crustacean dress - I am from MD and would love to get my hands on a dress with crabs on it!  Where did you get it??  

Thanks again for taking the time to bring us along - we board Allure on Friday!

Edited by kfnesq
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kfnesq said:

This was so wonderful and helpful to read!  Glad you enjoyed yourselves and are back safe and sound.  I HAVE to know about the crustacean dress - I am from MD and would love to get my hands on a dress with crabs on it!  Where did you get it??  

Thanks again for taking the time to bring us along - we board Allure on Friday!

It’s from Eshakti, from a few years ago. However, I still see the pattern show up occasionally!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, CatLadyFemme said:

Trying to upload screen shots of my photos to see if it works better. Do folks want pics of food? I have been taking them, and happy to post if this works, but if you don’t care, I won’t worry about it.

Formal night last night and some of today’s vibe before we change for dinner.

8D7869CB-1EE9-4BC3-8F0A-E229F3BF5C19.thumb.jpeg.1333cfae1cd2dedc5a2b966f0676f43f.jpeg95D489C0-B815-457B-BDB7-D124DC692B81.thumb.jpeg.70bfa6eb844d6171d63cb1d605bfacba.jpeg9225A499-705B-4312-BD31-AF4B18867D41.thumb.jpeg.ce51589eb87c23b2232185ab0328ddd5.jpeg
C1E1BFAA-29C5-43D0-A8BD-255585534AB9.thumb.jpeg.96e53519a73b4972c3dc803b6c038dad.jpeg

I love your skirt..so pretty!

• Like 1

Love your style and you both take great pix.

From your review it seems that 150 CP is part of UDP.  I thought food/wine pairing restaurants (like Chef's Table and Taste of Royal) are excluded.  Did they include the wine/drinks or is that because you had the beverage package?

We have 3 furry faces (2 ragamuffins and a very patient tortie) loved seeing pix of your little guys.

20211101_181344.jpg

• Like 1