sea conditions between melbourne and adelaide

snag

Hi, can anyone please tell me if the sea can be rough between Melbourne and Adelaide in December, I'm asking because I want to choose a suitable cabin if the seas get rough. Thanks Snag 

6 hours ago, snag said:

Hi, can anyone please tell me if the sea can be rough between Melbourne and Adelaide in December, I'm asking because I want to choose a suitable cabin if the seas get rough. Thanks Snag 

Things to consider is the waters of the Bass Strait are comparatively shallow, so if the winds blows, the seas are higher than in open ocean. You are also in the area we know as the roaring 40's, which is based on the open ocean around 40 degrees.

As others mentioned, it could be smooth sailing, but the potential is for much worse. Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• Like 1

I have sailed in the area, but in a January/February time frame.  I don't recall the seas going from Melbourne west (we were headed to Freemantle) to have been particularly rough.  But, going from Tasmania to Melbourne, it was a very bumpy ride, but, not the most active seas on which I have sailed.  

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As others mentioned, it could be smooth sailing, but the potential is for much worse. Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Spent three months in the Great Australian Bight on a drillship, not one of my favorite places due to the Roaring 40's as you mention.  Only place on the globe where the ocean circles the globe without land in the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/27/2022 at 3:52 AM, GUT2407 said:

Could be rough, could be smooth, really anyone’s guess. Bass straight in particular can be absolutely wild, or smooth as ice.

We are sailing on a B2B2B starting mid March and sailing 13 day to NZ, 10day Queensland, followed by 21day to HKG. I was raised on small boats fishing in the Hawaiian Islands, DW was a sailboat person, so we know that the ocean can be very unpredictable. We normally cruise on the Grand Class in the very last aft or close to it on the E deck. Our choices for the 2nd and 3rd leg is between a Lido deck mid forward mini or a mid aft Aloha Deck mini. Just not to familiar with forward rooms and being that the Tasmania Sea and the strait can be very rough, not sure of the rest of the route.

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We are sailing on a B2B2B starting mid March and sailing 13 day to NZ, 10day Queensland, followed by 21day to HKG. I was raised on small boats fishing in the Hawaiian Islands, DW was a sailboat person, so we know that the ocean can be very unpredictable. We normally cruise on the Grand Class in the very last aft or close to it on the E deck. Our choices for the 2nd and 3rd leg is between a Lido deck mid forward mini or a mid aft Aloha Deck mini. Just not to familiar with forward rooms and being that the Tasmania Sea and the strait can be very rough, not sure of the rest of the route.

I’d go mid your Qld cruise could get rough that time of year, it is the tail end of Cyclone season.