Camera Suggestion Pls (DLSR)

I am planning on replacing my Canon Rebel that is getting long in the tooth. I am wanting to upgrade from a beginner level to more of an enthusiast level. I liked the DLSR and would not mind staying with that type of camera and I am willing to switch brands. It seems like Canon is getting out of the DOSR business and I am wondering what my full size sensor options are. I want something with the heft to hold larger lenses and I am not sure that mirrorless has that heft.

Any ideas?

Depending on what you want to spend, the Canon 6D is a good full frame.  The 5DMark4 is kind of a chunk (5.2 pounds with a medium telephoto), but has lots more autofocus points, a moire filter, and a CF card slot in addition to the SD slot.

I've been happy buying my equipment at the Canon.com refurbished site.  All cameras and lenses have a 1 year factory warranty.  You won't find many bargains at third party sites on new bodies or lenses since Canon controls the selling price.

Which lenses do you have for your Rebel?  If you have specialty lenses like the super wide angle 10-22mm that are EF-S only, they won't work on a full frame body. Even though it isn't a full frame, I like the 80D because it effectively lengthens the medium telephoto lens and also accepts  EF-S lenses.

Happy shopping!

31 minutes ago, Heymoe said:

Depending on what you want to spend, the Canon 6D is a good full frame.  The 5DMark4 is kind of a chunk (5.2 pounds with a medium telephoto), but has lots more autofocus points, a moire filter, and a CF card slot in addition to the SD slot.

I've been happy buying my equipment at the Canon.com refurbished site.  All cameras and lenses have a 1 year factory warranty.  You won't find many bargains at third party sites on new bodies or lenses since Canon controls the selling price.

Which lenses do you have for your Rebel?  If you have specialty lenses like the super wide angle 10-22mm that are EF-S only, they won't work on a full frame body. Even though it isn't a full frame, I like the 80D because it effectively lengthens the medium telephoto lens and also accepts  EF-S lenses.

Happy shopping!

I understand I need new lenses for the 6D. One of the reasons for upgrading is that I want better lenses and there are a better assortment of high quality lenses with the full frame sensor cameras (though clearly not the main reason to go for a full frame sensor).

I’ve been shooting Canon since the 60s, currently have a couple of DSLRs, but recently (I guess about 18 months or so ago) got a mirrorless R. Very happy with it. Not sure about them getting out of DSLRs though, certainly have a few contacts with them and not something I have heard anytime soon, though mirrorless is probably the future.

• Like 1

I am also a long time Canon aficionado, since the early 70's. Have used full frame 5D MkII & 5D MkIII now for about 13 yrs. Couple of months ago, I finally went mirrorless with the R6. With the adapter, all my existing lenses work well, with no issues.

The mirrorless R6 has no issues with my EF 70-200 f2.8 IS USM, so I don't believe you need to be concerned over mating it with bigger lenses.

I also don't believe Canon is getting out of DSLR in the near term, but mirrorless (R5/R6) is definitely the way to go. The technology improvements over the 5D are simply amazing.

On 3/27/2022 at 11:25 PM, Heidi13 said:

I finally went mirrorless

I bought a mirrorless too and love it. The newer DSLRs are mostly too bulky and/or heavy, even though a Canon would have been nice. I love my Fujifilm and it takes wonderful images.

When I was shopping around, I ran into a person with a Leica, what I always wanted (they make two inexpensive models - for Leica inexpensive - but it's limiting) anyway, the Leica owner recommended Fujifilm, started researching and then when I finally held it and checked it out, I knew it was the right one. The SONY mirrorless was nice, but also a bit heavy/larger than I wanted. 

The classic body size of camera is ideal for me, less so the mega body cameras we see much more of today, which I know are great, if they fit in your hands and can manage all the weight 😉

If you're thinking of buying used, this is a fine organization that resells used kit, MPB and I happen to know they get involved in community public art projects in and around the area where they do business, supporting photography festivals and events organized by nonprofit groups.

Some folks don't mind buying used lens or camera if they are in good condition, it might help one get into a higher level kit rather than spend all the extra money. MPB also has a lending/rental program for kits and other equipment. 

At Photoville Festival in NYC on June 4 until June 26 2022, there will be a photography festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park and also there will be exhibits in all the other boroughs. Special events will take place in Brooklyn Bridge Park, including the annual Leica tent, where they usually present the Leica On Loan program. Yes, you can borrow a Leica for the day of the festival. And we'll be in such a spectacular, scenic area, but you can go anywhere you want on the day and take photos.

(The Leica owner I mentioned earlier? We were in Adorama in NYC as I was looking at cameras and he bought a new lens. He told me he bought his Leica because he participated in the Leica on Loan program at Photoville.)

Good luck camera shopping 🙂

6 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

I bought a mirrorless too and love it. The newer DSLRs are mostly too bulky and/or heavy, even though a Canon would have been nice. I love my Fujifilm and it takes wonderful images.

When I was shopping around, I ran into a person with a Leica, what I always wanted (they make two inexpensive models - for Leica inexpensive - but it's limiting) anyway, the Leica owner recommended Fujifilm, started researching and then when I finally held it and checked it out, I knew it was the right one. The SONY mirrorless was nice, but also a bit heavy/larger than I wanted. 

The classic body size of camera is ideal for me, less so the mega body cameras we see much more of today, which I know are great, if they fit in your hands and can manage all the weight 😉

If you're thinking of buying used, this is a fine organization that resells used kit, MPB and I happen to know they get involved in community public art projects in and around the area where they do business, supporting photography festivals and events organized by nonprofit groups.

Some folks don't mind buying used lens or camera if they are in good condition, it might help one get into a higher level kit rather than spend all the extra money. MPB also has a lending/rental program for kits and other equipment. 

At Photoville Festival in NYC on June 4 until June 26 2022, there will be a photography festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park and also there will be exhibits in all the other boroughs. Special events will take place in Brooklyn Bridge Park, including the annual Leica tent, where they usually present the Leica On Loan program. Yes, you can borrow a Leica for the day of the festival. And we'll be in such a spectacular, scenic area, but you can go anywhere you want on the day and take photos.

(The Leica owner I mentioned earlier? We were in Adorama in NYC as I was looking at cameras and he bought a new lens. He told me he bought his Leica because he participated in the Leica on Loan program at Photoville.)

Good luck camera shopping 🙂

Now I’ve just been looking at the Leica M11, I say mmmmmmm but my wallet say nah.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:05 AM, pierces said:

I went through a lot of soul and internet searching before going full-frame. I wrote an article about it a couple of years ago. 

My Long Road to Full-Frame – The Family Photographer (pierce324.com)

Dave

Yep it took me a fair while too, but then again it took me ages to go to a camera with “P” mode, to go autofocus, though I did go digital pretty early (mainly because I was doing work for someone who wanted digital). Though I still enjoy reverting to a camera with no metering etc (was once nearly as accurate as a meter guessing exposure).

But it really comes down to your photographic interests and what you want to do with the photos

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:58 PM, GUT2407 said:

Now I’ve just been looking at the Leica M11, I say mmmmmmm but my wallet say nah.

The wallet usually has the last word 😉

It's just that there's something seeing a Leica image that's unmistakeable, from the time I studied photography in school and saw my first teacher's slides taken on a Leica: I'd never seen anything like them. Now, when I see Leica photos, I know before I check whether the photographer uses a Leica.

The occasional brilliant shot on Canon 5D my trip me up, (and it takes amazing images!) but there's a something I cannot quite put into words that strikes my eye when I see a Leica image where you're almost like "take my money" except... it's a LOT of money. 

I thought about going for a used one, still a chunk of change. I still do like my Fujifilm. 

And you're correct GUT, it definitely depends on what one plans to use the camera for, etc. I tended to always carry two cameras when traveling, and now with the much better cameras in smartphones, that's a bit easier, well, less bulky at least. 

Thanks for sharing your piece Pierces, I enjoyed it.  Sounds like you've got a nice collection of lenses in your kit! And I'm with you on the ambient light. I like the challenge and I really want to try and capture the truth of whatever my eye sees, with the camera, using the options available on the camera without all the extra equipment. It either works or it won't. (Btw, I didn't start w/a Brownie but love those stories. My first was an X15 Kodak, which was fun were it not for needing so many flash cubes and I was a little kid w/o ready access to cash! 😂)

• Like 1

When I bought my last camera I debated between full frame and crop sensor. Talked to multiple camera and lens reps as well as other professional photographers at a couple different events. In the end  it came down to the garage to that most of my photography is wildlife,  travel or events and for that the crop sensor turned out to be the better choice. That is why I went with the Canon 7D Mark II. I've got half a dozen lenses from fast prime to long heavy  600. I also have a mirrorless Fuji x10 that Adobe gave me a few years ago.   Good camera and much lighter than my 7D which I will take if space/weight is an issue. Largest lens I have for it is a 50-200 zoom which it a good vesitile lens for travel if you are only taking one lens. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I started with Nikon about 20 years ago, upgraded it to Canon a few year later, then upgraded the Canon to a much better one. After lugging around very heavy gear, I moved to mirrorless. Was thrown into m43 because that is what the camera place pushed. I liked the Olympus, but there were things I missed. I went to a Sony a6400 and absolutely hated it. To the point I sold it a year later with only 200 pictures taken on it. I told myself I was going to buy my next camera and keep it for at least 10 years. It came down to 2 options: Panasonic G2 and Sony a7iii. The decision was made when it came down to price and the capabilities in DXO. For $1,000 less, I went with the Panasonic G2. The weight difference was a big factor too.

If you don't already have a number of lenses that you love and plan to use forever, I'd say look to mirrorless, as Canon is leading the way but most everyone is following that path - you are not going to many if any new lenses for DLSRs except for one company .

Canon's R series is nifty, with a few choices, and has a lens line that is getting fleshed out rapidly. 

Nikon's Z series has a number of good cameras and amazing lenses, if they have what you are looking for. 

Sony...eh. If you like 'em, they have a lot of options. But if you prefer the DLSR layout Sony is going to be a harder transition than some. 

For DLSR, there's really just Pentax as a continuing theme. Weatherproof, well made cameras and some interesting lenses, but not the best AF or technology. If you are looking to get one more generation, then a used Canon 6 series or Nikon D780 to D850 would be good candidates as well.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are determined to stay with the DSLR platform, I would look for slightly used cameras. There are a number of reputable dealers that offer good warranties and excellent products here in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of perspective on photography. The real question is whether you are a picture taker or a photographer. I think there is a big difference between the two. Photographers have the keen eye to be able to compose a picture the way a picture taker cannot. In the exact same spot, taking a picture of the same thing, a photographer can make a huge difference by changing the camera angle and other things while a picture taker stands there, gets what they want in the picture, and presses a button. A photographer will edit the photos later to make an incredible photo. A picture taker will dump the files to the computer and be done with it. 

My recommendation is to find a good photography class/group that can teach you about taking photographs. After that, things get easier and you would be shocked at what can be done in post-processing now with non-FF cameras. Think about it, people are still trying to capture Ansel Adams photographs with the latest technology and they can't do it. 

On 5/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, Heartgrove said:

If you are determined to stay with the DSLR platform, I would look for slightly used cameras. There are a number of reputable dealers that offer good warranties and excellent products here in the US.

For makers who set minimum prices for their new cameras (Canon), used is a great way to go.  I buy factory refurbs direct from Canon.  They carry a 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Speaking to the quality of their process, a friend who takes a lot of photos on Bahamanian beaches sends his higher end lenses back to Canon for their refurb every few years.