Locking the window on Infinite Veranda E Class

samplecd02

I was wondering what people's experience has been with the captain locking the window on the Infinite Veranda. Does this happen often? I am on a 10 day British Isles Cruise and would like to keep the window open when I am in the room.

Edited by samplecd02

We were in an Infinite Veranda on a Caribbean cruise and the only time I was aware of the the window being closed was during the two very heavy thunderstorms we had. It was a very different experience to be able to sit on the veranda during a thunderstorm.

When I was on Edge in Feb 2020, the only time I was aware that it was/would be locked was when they were locked for cleaning - and it was announced in the daily info sheet (I'm blanking on the name of it). So other than for weather (which I would hope anyone would figure out on their own by looking outside), you will have notice.

FWIW, I *think* that the washing took place while we were in port, but I'm not 100% as I don't save the papers and go over them obsessively.

Do be aware that keeping the window down WILL cut off the air conditioning in the room.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We never had our IV window locked to our knowledge but we were on a Caribbean cruise and were lucky enough to not have any inclement weather.  I had heard some folks talking about how the window was locked for a short time on a port day when a lot of folks were off the ship for window cleaning.

They lock them when they use the window washing equipment as well as during bad weather. It was a bit frustrating for DH... I would head out on a port day to enjoy an excursion and he planned on sitting on the veranda reading... then the window ended up being locked on multiple port days.. But if you imagine a car wash level of pressure coming by... you can see why you would want the window closed. Note that unlike regular verandas..there are no drains on these verandas... so water coming into the cabin stays there. The problem DH observed was that they would stay locked for quite a long time...probably to allow it to dry...  This was during one of the inaugural sailings so perhaps they have shortened the time they are locked..not sure

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

When I was on Edge in Feb 2020, the only time I was aware that it was/would be locked was when they were locked for cleaning - and it was announced in the daily info sheet (I'm blanking on the name of it). So other than for weather (which I would hope anyone would figure out on their own by looking outside), you will have notice.

FWIW, I *think* that the washing took place while we were in port, but I'm not 100% as I don't save the papers and go over them obsessively.

Do be aware that keeping the window down WILL cut off the air conditioning in the room.

As a note... I believe that you can adjust the air on the control panel. As I recall it is set for 'green' or some environmental oriented setting...which can be turned off...keeping the AC on... again this was a few years ago.. so it might have changed

Just now, kearney said:

As a note... I believe that you can adjust the air on the control panel. As I recall it is set for 'green' or some environmental oriented setting...which can be turned off...keeping the AC on... again this was a few years ago.. so it might have changed

Even in 2020 trying the adjusting, it was off when the window was down. And it got humid in the Caribbean.

Made 3 E-Class cruises in Infinite SRs and as stated above, only after it was announced for cleaning. We had a bit of rain on one cruise and it wasn’t locked closed. 

I know this design is ‘an issue’, but we loved the entire SR being opened up and it turns the room into a much larger one. After being open, and it did warm up some, we just loved it and it cooled down quickly. We don’t use any veranda/balcony to sunbathe on and many of the standard ones have overhangs and sidewalls so I didn’t find the Infinite design that restrictive.Recommend the bed being next to the BR and not close to the veranda so you have more room. We love inviting friends over. 

For us, a great design. I love having different type SRs instead of so each being the standard design. 

Den

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, samplecd02 said:

What would you guys do? The hubs only needs the window open for vaping so I want to be sure I give him an area for that. Right now we are in a sky suite but the price is really bugging me.

There is no vaping inside any location on Celebrity ships, including the SR or even ‘out’ on a Veranda or Balcony. None. And you can and will get nailed for it. And it isn’t considered a minor issue. 

Vaping is the same as smoking and only done in the designated smoking/vaping areas……which Again does Not include the SR or balcony set up.

What to do? Take a different cruise line, if you can find one that allows that; do as all the other smokers and smoke where it is allowed, which is a few nice spots. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, samplecd02 said:

What would you guys do? The hubs only needs the window open for vaping so I want to be sure I give him an area for that. Right now we are in a sky suite but the price is really bugging me.

FYI, vaping falls into the same category as smoking. It is not allowed except in designated smoking areas.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

Vaping in the room is a violation….big fines are a possibility!!!!

12 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

What would you guys do? The hubs only needs the window open for vaping so I want to be sure I give him an area for that. Right now we are in a sky suite but the price is really 

Edited by awhfy
Deleted comment

4 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Are the doors to the sunset verandahs also locked?

We chose a sunset veranda on Edge in September 2021 because it is a traditional balcony stateroom, not an infinite veranda stateroom.  The doors are not locked remotely and are operational at any time, as they would be in any other tradtional balcony cabin.  Very spacious balcony btw - we loved it 😃

• Thanks 1