Ten Gallon cowboy hats

Acrusa

1 hour ago, Acrusa said:

I've been told that on a recent Riviera cruise, a gentleman wore a hat in the dining rooms and refused to take it off.

Is this true ?

It’s happened in the past, so it’s probably true. On one our past cruises this guy must have had 6-7 of them! Seems he wore a different one most every night . Just transporting all the hat boxes must have been a chore!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Acrusa said:

I've been told that on a recent Riviera cruise, a gentleman wore a hat in the dining rooms and refused to take it off.

Is this true ?

If it was the guy with the wannabe cowboy hat, I was on that cruise. He even wore it to a LaReseve dinner. Fortunately, he was at the table at the other end of the room. 

In fact, I think he had two (different colors). But, no cowboy boots that I ever saw. I expect that Maitre d’s tried their best but didn’t want to start a major “to do.”

What a jerk!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, Acrusa said:

Is this true ?

A gentleman would never wear such thing in a dining room, so cannot be true. A man, perhaps! 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, who cares.  Glass houses and all that.  So we are all perfect fashion models with ideal body weight, makeup and dress?

I object that everyone isnt 25 years old and sporting Oscar night gowns.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Honestly, who cares.  Glass houses and all that.  So we are all perfect fashion models with ideal body weight, makeup and dress?

I object that everyone isnt 25 years old and sporting Oscar night gowns.

Gimme a break. Even just minimum decorum (like no hats on men) is not unreasonable. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

He didn't bother us.  Provided a source of jokes to enliven dinner.  It would have been a very different story in the show lounge, if his hat was blocking our view.  😲

Agreed.  A practical inconvenience matters.  A hat on a head, perhaps it is hiding a melanoma or horrible scar on a bald head, or one may have cultural differences about hats.  To raise a fuss seems selfish to me.

That said, happy to let Capt and Oceana staff set and police the rules at sea, not passengers.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Agreed.  A practical inconvenience matters.  A hat on a head, perhaps it is hiding a melanoma or horrible scar on a bald head, or one may have cultural differences about hats.  To raise a fuss seems selfish to me.

That said, happy to let Capt and Oceana staff set and police the rules at sea, not passengers.

You must be kidding. Plenty of folks would be reasonably “bent out of shape” about sitting down to a $350+ per person Dom Perignon La Reserve dinner only to be seated across the table from someone wearing a hat bigger that his chair seat. And there are far more reasonable/decorous choices than a “ten gallon hat” (which, BTW, has zero cultural significance) to cover an unsightly health related issue. 

• Like 2

it boils down to no  respect for ones fellow diners and lack basic good manners consideration.     Both is short  supply in the Me-I  generations.  It seems today, my observation, that its not what is good to do  but what "can I get away with"      

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

it boils down to no  respect for ones fellow diners and lack basic good manners consideration.     Both is short  supply in the Me-I  generations.  It seems today, my observation, that its not what is good to do  but what "can I get away with"      

Plus One!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

My DH is a true gentleman and has never worn head gear at any table save a possible picnic table in full sun.  However, for our upcoming cruise he may break protocol and wear some head covering on his chemo-bald head.  Trust me, it would not be a ten gallon hat.   For those who may consider him disrespectful and/or lacking good manners, please bite your tongue until it bleeds.  He is my champion!

Katie

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

My DH is a true gentleman and has never worn head gear at any table save a possible picnic table in full sun.  However, for our upcoming cruise he may break protocol and wear some head covering on his chemo-bald head.  Trust me, it would not be a ten gallon hat.   For those who may consider him disrespectful and/or lacking good manners, please bite your tongue until it bleeds.  He is my champion!

Katie

Yes in 2004 I had cancer and two half golf ball sized lumps on my head.  Fortunately there was a drug that eventually essentially cured me.  However I wore a baseball hat for about a year, including in church.  All church members were highly supportive.  Best not to judge.  Yes a large cowboy hat seems excessive...  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You must be kidding. Plenty of folks would be reasonably “bent out of shape” about sitting down to a $350+ per person Dom Perignon La Reserve dinner only to be seated across the table from someone wearing a hat bigger that his chair seat. And there are far more reasonable/decorous choices than a “ten gallon hat” (which, BTW, has zero cultural significance) to cover an unsightly health related issue. 

I am reminded of what I said to my whining 7 year old grandson while we hiked in the rain, "you can be wet and miserable or you can choose to just be wet".   

Is wearing a hat at dinner tacky? Yes, but if it bothers you to the point of spoiling your meal, that's on you.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I am reminded of what I said to my whining 7 year old grandson while we hiked in the rain, "you can be wet and miserable or you can choose to just be wet".   

Is wearing a hat at dinner tacky? Yes, but if it bothers you to the point of spoiling your meal, that's on you.

Might  I remind you  we are speaking of a person, who night after night wore excessively  large hats . without a care..  It was not mistake from the description  of his continued acts...   We are not talking about  trying to be discreet... but in your face obnoxious.       Obnoxious bothers me others when it is intentionally repeated over and over  , getting some pleasure from making a scene for some twisted pleasure derived. ...     

• Like 5

22 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Katie

Good thoughts for your DH.

This was NOT the situation with the wannabe cowboy.

21 hours ago, shepherd really said:

In this case, my meal wasn’t spoiled.

Maitre d’ sat him at the far left end table out of sight of LaReserve passerby’s. And we chose to sit at the right table. Needless to say, that other table had the most folks leave immediately after the meal.

Had it been our table, I’d have stepped away with the maitre’d and reminded him/her of the ship’s hat policy. Absent a reasonable explanation (without violating cowboy’s HIPPA rights) that would make accommodation the obvious “right thing to do,” I’d expect, at least, a reseating arrangement and, absent that, I’d want compensation for having to endure the lack of decorum. That might have required a brief conversation with the F&B manager (whose job, quite honestly, bottom lines at doing his/her best to avoid conflict by throwing SBC at it).  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, KatieBelle said:

Katie

Katie.....  I think you missed  on the situation.  It was not  the hat  so much as the obnoxious intent of the person wearing it.     Persons', trying to be discrete, are  understood as having  perhaps a  personal need.   

However, this bozo was doing his" hat act" to irritate and thumb his nose at everyone  saying in effect "screw you...I will  do anything I want, got it !"    Thats my point, the situation was intentional  to bolster a deficient ego perhaps.   Jerks are obvious.

• Like 1