The Daily for Tuesday 03/29/2022

richwmn

We visited Bath by train from Southampton on 9/24/2010.  We spent 3 days in Southampton and did day trips from there via train (Winchester, Salisbury/Stonehenge, and lastly Bath).

When we arrived in Bath (pronounced Baaath 😉), we caught a ho-ho bus to get around.

IMG_0157.thumb.jpg.e2239e30542e78d5788547ec5ce73c83.jpg

You've already seen pics of the Roman baths, so will show you the fountain in the Pump Room where you can "take the waters" -- we did 🤢!

142.thumb.jpg.a767ff883ed1386852106addf57f523a.jpg

This is a picture of the Royal Crescent (apartments/flats)

077.thumb.jpg.3bcf4dc94c68114ccd0ea2228783df0c.jpg

Interior of Bath Abbey (loved that lacy ceiling)

IMG_0205.thumb.jpg.d4e482d7c0fb98b6482a17305e1c56b7.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from sunny but windy Santa Barbara.  Going in on the tender late this morning was not too bad, but coming back about 1:30, we were rolling and bouncing.  About the time I was back on board, the weather gurus issued a gale warning from 3 pm to 11 pm.  I bet the Captain and especially the tender crews wish we were sailing earler than 5 pm.

I took the free shuttle into town and walked up State Street, and then, back to the ship.  The only time before last Saturday that I know I was here, we passed through town on AmTrak.

We try to support mom and pop businesses, but there aren't many in the small towns where we live. BeforemCovid, we did our best to support the local restaurants.  Smoke and mirrors belong in magic shows.  I took piano lessons for five years, but I still can't play Chopsticks.  DH is a Vietnam era vet, and was starioned at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ.

Bob Marley's quote is probably truer than we'd like, but it is also cynical.

We like lasagna, but will pass on it along with the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Bristol, but visited Bath when the Prinsendam docked in Portland in 2017.  

@smitty34877 Terry, I'm sorry Tana is still fighting pneumonia.  I hope the IV antibiotics work for her.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad the new aide is working out.  I'm sure it is a relief to have someone good.  It is sad that someone who is so well educated cannot work in her field in this country.  Your post sounds more upbeat than many lately.

@grapau27  Graham, that is good news that Pauline has tested negative and that she is feeling better.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad your DH had a good report from the retinologist.

@sailingdutchy  Tony, I'm sorry Martha has tested positive and is feeling bad.  I hope she recovers quickly.

@Vict0riann Ann, they were great get togethers, and it was so good meeting everyone in person.  BTW, the Captain's name is Robert Jan Kan.  If I hadn't seen it written out, I wouldn't have known how to spell it either.  He's Dutch, but lives in England.

@kplady  Laura, good luck with the knee replacement surgery Friday.  I hope it goes as well as the first one.  Good news that your DH is recovering nicely from his procedure.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Prayers for all in need.  DH had a haircut today on Anthem.  His stylist is from Ukraine.  He has been on the ship for 11 months and at this point cannot go home.

I visited Bath around 2008 on a QM2 voyage.  Interesting to see places I had read about in novels for years.  Katherine 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, kplady said:

I've already had one done three years ago, hoping this one will go as well.  We're cruising in August!!

You should be good to go by August.   For my first knee I had surgery in May and cruised in August.  Went hiking in Acadia National Park and walked for miles in Quebec.  That knee did just fine!   The second knee was a bit more trouble, but it is fine now.  You'll do well.  You remember the drill.  The best thing I did as soon as I could was start doing heel slides in the bed, bending the knee a bit.  I had quite a bit of flexion by the time the physical therapist came to see me.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

You should be good to go by August.   For my first knee I had surgery in May and cruised in August.  Went hiking in Acadia National Park and walked for miles in Quebec.  That knee did just fine!   The second knee was a bit more trouble, but it is fine now.  You'll do well.  You remember the drill.  The best thing I did as soon as I could was start doing heel slides in the bed, bending the knee a bit.  I had quite a bit of flexion by the time the physical therapist came to see me.  

I did well with the first - had it at the end of January and cruised on the Maasdam to Alaska (21 days!) in May, and had no problem.  I did the heel slides as soon as I woke up in Recovery, and kept moving as much as possible.

• Like 11

Thanks for all the Daily reports, we have been to Bath and Bristol, while living in the UK.. The photos brought back good memories.

We like to support mom and pop businesses, which I did  this morning.

@kplady best wishes for successful knee replacement surgery on Friday.

@smitty34877 hope that the new IV antibiotic will help Tana.

@durangoscotshope that you will soon be feeling better.

@aliaschief hope you will have a better sleep tonight.  How is Sue?

This morning an announcement that the next Americas Cup will be held in Barcelona in 2024, sadly not in Auckland.

It's  a lovely sunny temperature of 20 C 

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10