Seabourn 2022 - Dry Docks?

jdk-atlga

For curiosity sake, I saw an article that indicated that Carnival Corp will be undertaking extensive dry dock work in 2022: 

"Carnival Corporation is leading the way, as it expects to drydock 28 ships or approximately around one-third of its fleet during the first half of the year."

That said, I was wondering about Seabourn's dry dock schedules/plans. From search review of the itineraries, I see that (and presume that work or charter is being conducted):

1) Odyssey is off books: Now - 16 April

2) Ovation is off books: 23 April - 7 May

3) Encore: 11 Sep - 13 Nov (long time off)

4) Quest: Starts back on 22 July

5) Sojourn: Starts back on 6 June.

Any thoughts - are we getting shiny ships this year?

Best, jdk

• Like 1

@jdk-atlga Sorry, but I think your information is incorrect.

• Odyssey is currently cruising in the Caribbean
  • Ovation is in the mid-Atlantic doing its crossing for the spring Mediterranean season
  • Encore is cruising in the Canary Islands, and will also be cruising the Mediterranean/Aegean/Adriatic this spring and summer

So none of them is out of service.

Quest and Soujourn are scheduled to resume operations this summer, as you noted.

Cruise Critic's page of scheduled dry-docks shows nothing on the books for this year for Seabourn. 

Good morning:

Regarding the schedules and potential dry-docks, I was just looking through the Seabourn "Cruise Search" tool, by ship, in "Earliest Departure" sort. I was looking for scheduling gaps and I will admit that I may have missed the sequences from itinerary to itinerary, especially with B2B plans. Bottom line is that this was a curiosity exercise (prompted by Carnival Corp. plans to address 1/3 the entire fleet this year) and not based upon any known, inside or other published information. I am booked on Odyssey in May and Ovation in September: therefore, I am curious about SB's plans for the ships.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, cruiseej said:

@jdk-atlga Sorry, but I think your information is incorrect.

• Odyssey is currently cruising in the Caribbean
  • Ovation is in the mid-Atlantic doing its crossing for the spring Mediterranean season
  • Encore is cruising in the Canary Islands, and will also be cruising the Mediterranean/Aegean/Adriatic this spring and summer

So none of them is out of service.

Quest and Soujourn are scheduled to resume operations this summer, as you noted.

Cruise Critic's page of scheduled dry-docks shows nothing on the books for this year for Seabourn. 

Ovation is absolutely going into dry dock after the crossing and one more cruise so those dates are correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

Ovation is absolutely going into dry dock after the crossing and one more cruise so those dates are correct. 

Okay, if you have information about a dry dock during those two weeks, I stand corrected. 😉 I had looked at Cruise Critic's page tracking dry docks, which reports no scheduled dry docks for any Seabourn ships:

377130541_ScreenShot2022-03-30at7_49_04PM.thumb.png.78041a0f13a56944ec352e416119eb2d.png

I had therefore figured April 23-May 7 must be a charter. But two weeks is a typical time for routine dry docks, and most of them are done in the Mediterranean, so it makes sense that this is a dry dock. 

We are on Odyssey starting April 16th.  The current cruise ends this Saturday (April 2nd) in Aruba.  There is no activity for the two weeks between on Seabourn's site and I have found one source which indicates the ship will dry dock during this two weeks.  There is a European owned ship repair facility in Curacao  - not far from Aruba which is my guess as to the dry dock location.  Maybe just a coincidence?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

Don't you love the changing protocol? Now need a PCR test. Stay tuned for further ????

The only sure thing is that things will change! Requirements may be changed by the cruise line, by the country of embarkation, or by the country of disembarkation, so there are lots of moving pieces. This has been true since cruising resumed last summer, and will likely remain true for some time.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, Mahogany said:

I too am boarding in Aruba on April 16. Don't you love the changing protocol? Now need a PCR test. Stay tuned for further ????

Hi Mahogany, I am in Florida and on the April 16th Aruba to Miami cruise too. Where are you in FL? Luckily, we get free PCR tests in FL... That helps so much! 

23 hours ago, ImpulsiveTraveler said:

Hi Mahogany, I am in Florida and on the April 16th Aruba to Miami cruise too. Where are you in FL? Luckily, we get free PCR tests in FL... That helps so much! 

My name is Fiona and I live in New Smyrna Beach. I am going to Aruba 3 days before sailing, so I have to get my PCR test ($125) in Aruba. Fortunately my hotel is offering them, mostly for tourists entering the US. Hope to see you onboard

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

My name is Fiona and I live in New Smyrna Beach. I am going to Aruba 3 days before sailing, so I have to get my PCR test ($125) in Aruba. Fortunately my hotel is offering them, mostly for tourists entering the US. Hope to see you onboard

Woul you kindly update during or after your cruise to let us know if indeed Odyssey is currently in dry dock?

Have a wonderful cruise!

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Marinetraffic.com shows Odyssey current location as in the drydock at Curacao.  I think this is in part the required periodic inspection of the hull for corrosion, but also some amount of topside refurbishment.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Woul you kindly update during or after your cruise to let us know if indeed Odyssey is currently in dry dock?

Hi Isklaar,

A friend who will be onboard the next cruise just sent me an email. She is friends with the person who will be HD on the cruise and she mentioned Odyssey is coming out of dry dock.

• Thanks 1

I was on Odyssey for the last cruise prior to dry dock in Curacao. We got off the ship by 10am Saturday in aruba, and it was settled back in Curacao that night.

The crew told us the main purpose for the two week dry dock was to re-do the Colonnade to better support the non-buffet style dining they're now doing at night in there.

Really looking forward to seeing the updates!!

Edited by flyerstef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/8/2022 at 11:12 AM, flyerstef said:

I was on Odyssey for the last cruise prior to dry dock in Curacao. We got off the ship by 10am Saturday in aruba, and it was settled back in Curacao that night.

The crew told us the main purpose for the two week dry dock was to re-do the Colonnade to better support the non-buffet style dining they're now doing at night in there.

Really looking forward to seeing the updates!!

They also reclassified many of the categories of the cabins, as they now have a new deck plan online for Odyssey effective March 27, 2022. It doesn't look like any structural changes. Click here and scroll down to Odyssey to see both pre and post drydock deck plans: https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ship-deckplans.html.
They removed the V5 and V6 categories. 

Edited by ImpulsiveTraveler
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ImpulsiveTraveler said:

reclassified many of the categories of the cabins,

From my perspective that is more an money generating thing than anything else.. different category different pricing..  location location location

Edited by rucrazy