Live from Gem 3/30

shanefm3

Beautiful morning aboard the Gem , i had a nice breakfast at Sheehans . Again , dinner last night at MDR was good . I had a shrimp alfredo and spinach soup . The only negative is the service is just so-so with no salt and pepper on tables each night and very little interaction. The meals come out super quick which leaves you done in less than 30 mins . I’ll probably try La Cucina later as i get some meals with platinum status

Due in to PR in a few hours , I’ll most likely take a ramble around .

My advice so far is to book now, take advantage of the smaller crowds and go a relax . Adding some photos of menu from last night and breakfast today 

B051E568-E016-4EC0-8E50-D46EC8A15674.jpeg

72597A00-3AB2-44C9-978B-084535261A65.jpeg

4D485AB8-F7DE-4DDF-AA58-28E37E9C681E.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lgdesign said:

Thank you so much for mentioning the Tile trackers... I feel like a dummy for not thinking of it.  Especially since that time Delta left three out of four of our bags in Dallas while we were flying to Australia.   It took three days for them to finally catch up with us.  Fortunately, they arrived the night before our cruise left for New Zealand for 2-1/2 weeks.

To the OP, so sorry they lost your bag and hope by some chance they find it before you leave.

Yea the tile trackers were great!! I've been using them for 8 years...   https://amzn.to/3IVXhkI

On 3/31/2022 at 11:00 PM, juju2454 said:

Hope your luggage shows up soon, we had ours lost in Copenhagen(off the flight ) when we were on a TA in 2018,  wore the same clothes for 3 days,  then finally it came to  the hotel the day before we were to embark.   Thank goodness we went early to Copenhagen.   Our luggage arrived with handles torn off,  scrapes, and cracks in the sides.  I don't know what they did to it but what a disaster.  It was new too.  I am so glad we put a copy of our passport in the cases.   Fortunately we had our toiletries in carry on and meds. but it was a tough time when it rained on the way from Tivoli to our hotel and we got soaked to have the clothes take days to dry out.  
Good luck!!

Were you, by any chance, on the Breakaway from Copenhagen to NY? If so, we were also on that TA!

Not having luggage on a cruise is one of my greatest fears. Hence, I always roll my now luggage on. I never ever leave it with the pier porters to be loaded. I also always take it with me when disembarking.

I have a 12 day Dawn cruise in August and absolutely will lug my luggage on myself. I only own luggage on wheels.

• Like 1

Nothing better than coming back onboard and finding the spa empty . Thanks for the advice on the local stores . I was able to find some clothes to wear . No sign of suitcase and absolutely no contact from NCL regarding it. Every contact has been initiated by me . Very disappointed 

beach day tomorrow. Glad i don’t have to wear jeans 😂

2B319BFD-2A1F-469F-A12E-8AC5F15F1613.jpeg

B338E6BA-24DF-4F2D-BED4-717A3478535D.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shanefm3 said:

No sign of suitcase and absolutely no contact from NCL regarding it. Every contact has been initiated by me . Very disappointed 

beach day tomorrow. Glad i don’t have to wear jeans 😂

16 hours ago, shanefm3 said:

Wow, thats BS. So the can't even tell you if it made it onto the ship? I wonder if you'll find it at the pier when you return?

Another shout out for the Tile Tracker...   https://amzn.to/3DxMfRD

Edited by Laszlo

Took the beach rendezvous excursion and I think it’s well overpriced at $99. 30 minute bus to resort near Maho Beach ( practically on the runway) . Lunch was included but it was mediocre at best with a choice of fish, chicken thighs or ribs . Add an umbrella for $5 if you choose . Nice and quiet beach and a pleasant day . Just a tad overpriced imho . Can’t beat the view though 

00C28FC0-8298-4F3B-9C37-5279BE6BA169.jpeg

9D848090-2008-4CFF-B7A9-7DDFDA09F70F.jpeg

• Like 5

Antigua today, not taking an excursion as I’m trying to let the burn from yesterday subside a little . One quickly forgets the power of the sun down this direction . I’d a quick stroll around the pier , it was absolutely dead . These businesses must be reeling , there’s simply nobody in the stores . I don’t venture too far as I have been here a few times . Whilst the number of cruisers has decreased , the same can’t be said for the locals looking to “help” you . With smaller crowds , you find yourself approached more often . It’s not for me . Back on board now and will hit the spa for a little relaxation 

D076662F-F4DF-41B0-B461-9453AFC5EBE1.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Have they ever found your luggage?

No, they distributed flyers throughout cabins . I’m doubtful it will show up . I had a laptop in it on which i was going to do work . I unfortunately have an auto immune disease with muscle weakness which stopped me from hauling the case onboard myself . The most annoying part of this all is the complete lack of communication from NCL. They simply don’t care and are only on the hook for max of $100. The contract states the passenger is responsible for their suitcases . How that’s possible when you hand them over is beyond me . 

20 hours ago, shanefm3 said:

Took the beach rendezvous excursion ... overpriced at $99. 30 minute bus to resort near Maho Beach ( practically on the runway) . Lunch was included ... an umbrella for $5 if you choose . Nice and quiet beach and a pleasant day ... 

Very nice photos & thanks for bring us along.  Just a few short years ago, those (open air) shuttle or mini "bus" style group ride to Maho Beach and even places on the far side of the island, outside the terminal were offered by locals for $20 to $30 per rider, lunch or bottled water not included - doing a quick scenic tour town, stops up the hill and over to the back/north side of the island, giving us about 2 hours to relax on the beach before going back, with plenty of time to not miss the ship's all abroad time.  That was nice then.  Is that price before a $50 shorex credit from NCL (which nearly every booking are getting these days, with exceptions) ?? 

5 minutes ago, shanefm3 said:

No, they distributed flyers throughout cabins . I’m doubtful it will show up . 

I'm sorry to hear this.  I do admire your attitude, I would be hysterical.....even though I know it wouldn't do me any good.

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Very nice photos & thanks for bring us along.  Just a few short years ago, those (open air) shuttle or mini "bus" style group ride to Maho Beach and even places on the far side of the island, outside the terminal were offered by locals for $20 to $30 per rider, lunch or bottled water not included - doing a quick scenic tour town, stops up the hill and over to the back/north side of the island, giving us about 2 hours to relax on the beach before going back, with plenty of time to not miss the ship's all abroad time.  That was nice then.  Is that price before a $50 shorex credit from NCL (which nearly every booking are getting these days, with exceptions) ?? 

Yes, that’s the price before the $50 discount . I normally use the locals when touring but this was a last minute why not decision . I booked a $55 beach trip tomorrow at Tortola which will end up costing $5. Add in a tip to driver and restaurant meal , it still won’t be too painful 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shanefm3 said:

No, they distributed flyers throughout cabins . I’m doubtful it will show up . I had a laptop in it on which i was going to do work . I unfortunately have an auto immune disease with muscle weakness which stopped me from hauling the case onboard myself . The most annoying part of this all is the complete lack of communication from NCL. They simply don’t care and are only on the hook for max of $100. The contract states the passenger is responsible for their suitcases . How that’s possible when you hand them over is beyond me . 

I wonder if the Port of New York personnel misplaced and it is still sitting at the terminal?  That happens on occasion.

Just a quick observation at the buffet . It’s one of my main pet peeves onboard and always makes my blood boil . Why do people feel the need to just cut in and grab food out with their hands and eat it right at the station . I’ve seen it often on this cruise , enough to make me type a comment . If you do this , please stop 🛑 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, shanefm3 said:

Just a quick observation at the buffet . It’s one of my main pet peeves onboard and always makes my blood boil . Why do people feel the need to just cut in and grab food out with their hands and eat it right at the station . I’ve seen it often on this cruise , enough to make me type a comment . If you do this , please stop 🛑 

I've seen people pick food up, smell it and put it back 🤢

***** is wrong with that person?

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I've seen people pick food up, smell it and put it back 🤢

***** is wrong with that person?

Items I’ve seen picked up, single hot dog , chicken drum , tomato ( peeled one off and put it back ) , multiple desserts, cookies ( stood there eating it and went back for more ). The last one prompted me to ask him to stop . Not sure if it’s selfishness or ignorance 😳

• Like 3

Took the early morning excursion to the beach . $55 but have a $50 excursion credit so basically a free trip . Be aware though that upon arrival , if you want a chair set up , you’ll need to cough up $25 for the two hour privilege to do so . 

It all got a little crammed after a while and I’m glad it wasn’t more than two hours. The bus ride is pretty but next time , I’d splurge a little more for a nicer beach experience.

9D1353BD-3C1B-4981-821F-C387FC5F1FFB.jpeg

339CC29D-0FBD-47CA-86E7-4E899577DBEC.jpeg

F6D477DC-E14E-4C03-A303-64C91D7B2E86.jpeg

B7E8323A-4CD6-437E-A2DF-B40AD51F26D4.jpeg

801439C6-1204-47D8-AAFC-F154058FE181.jpeg

• Like 4

So it seems the value of your suitcase if lost is $100. I can only assume that from the guest contract and by this showing up on my account this morning . I have had no contact from any supervisor onboard . Each interaction since last week has been initiated by myself with guest services 

5F9C0963-034A-45B8-B94F-5622E77B2B84.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanefm3 said:

So it seems the value of your suitcase if lost is $100. I can only assume that from the guest contract and by this showing up on my account this morning . I have had no contact from any supervisor onboard . Each interaction since last week has been initiated by myself with guest services 

5F9C0963-034A-45B8-B94F-5622E77B2B84.jpeg

Thats pretty lame. Hopefully it is sitting at the pier when you get back

• Like 2