HAL gifts cards at a discount

Euby

The rewards link with AARP was down for a few hours today, but came back up and I was able to purchase my final $1200 work for $1080, a week ago I did a my limit in the month of April and bought  $2500.00 for $2250.00. I love that I can keep these on my iPhone under My Wallet till I know we have gone on the cruise and can then delete since I will not need them again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Thank you so much for this information.  Final payment is coming up on one of my summer cruises so it will save me $360 in total! If you were going to be on my ship I would buy you a drink! Thanks again for passing along the information!

You're welcome!  Maybe one of us could stow away on the others next cruise?  LOL

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I ordered $2k directly from Holland America.  I requested the actual cards.  Does anybody know how long it will take to receive them in the mail?

I just purchased the 2k for email gift card and got it immediately. It says 7 to 10 days for mail.

Has anyone purchased these gift cards through the AARP website? I see they only allow 5 cards per month. Does anyone know if the promotion continues on a regular basis or is there a promotion date expiry?

Edited by pmjnh

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

Has anyone purchased these gift cards through the AARP website? I see they only allow 5 cards per month. Does anyone know if the promotion continues on a regular basis or is there a promotion date expiry?

Yes, we purchased a HAL gift card in April through AARP and more this month. The promotion with AARP started in March. “Limited time offer while supplies last.”

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We decided to buy $14,000 in $2,000 increments this morning. I received $1,400 in gift credit and applied all to our cruise for Dec/Jan. You get 10% off. No limit.

I used the Holland America site to buy ours. If you are having trouble finding where to buy them on the HAL site, Google "buy gift cards Holland America"

• Like 1

I bought 10,000 in gift cards on Monday. No problem. Today attempted to buy 10,000 more. It has been a nightmare. I have been on the phone with them and my credit card company  since 9AM.  The first 2 transactions went thru, no problem. Then Capital One put a hold on it for a fraud alert. Called Capital One and after being lectured on the dangers of credit cards and scams they approved the transaction. I then went ahead and purchased 2 more for a total of 10,000. THen I received an email cancelling the whole thing.

I called HAL back and it has been " escalated" and I will receive an answer in 24 hours. In the meantime, 5 more 2000. transactions have appeared on my credit card. So right now my card is frozen. No one can answer me what happened . Capital One company blaming HAL. HAL stating to report it to Capital One.

22 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I bought 10,000 in gift cards on Monday. No problem. Today attempted to buy 10,000 more. It has been a nightmare. I have been on the phone with them and my credit card company  since 9AM.  The first 2 transactions went thru, no problem. Then Capital One put a hold on it for a fraud alert. Called Capital One and after being lectured on the dangers of credit cards and scams they approved the transaction. I then went ahead and purchased 2 more for a total of 10,000. THen I received an email cancelling the whole thing.

I called HAL back and it has been " escalated" and I will receive an answer in 24 hours. In the meantime, 5 more 2000. transactions have appeared on my credit card. So right now my card is frozen. No one can answer me what happened . Capital One company blaming HAL. HAL stating to report it to Capital One.

My first transaction was declined by my cc company. Security called and asked if I was making the purchase.  Once I said yes and there would be multiples if $2000 they said put it thru again and we will monitor it for you.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My first transaction was declined by my cc company. Security called and asked if I was making the purchase.  Once I said yes and there would be multiples if $2000 they said put it thru again and we will monitor it for you.

That also happened to me on the first transaction on Monday. Then all went well. Today, they emailed me and I called them. They assured me all was ok. But then the cards started coming. It was 10 extra cards now it is 14. I have called and begged them to stop sending them. The most recent update is it is a "glitch" in their system. In the meantime my card remains frozen and there 14 $2000 gift cards sitting in pending!

• Haha 2

Just now, cunnorl said:

That also happened to me on the first transaction on Monday. Then all went well. Today, they emailed me and I called them. They assured me all was ok. But then the cards started coming. It was 10 extra cards now it is 14. I have called and begged them to stop sending them. The most recent update is it is a "glitch" in their system. In the meantime my card remains frozen and there 14 $2000 gift cards sitting in pending!

I am having problems also, there are 6 pending charges on my card since April 20-24th.  Still trying to get them reversed, so I can repurchase these cards.

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Is it 5 cards/month per household or per person?

TIA

As far as I know AARP is 5 cards per account, but I don't know if they consider a couple as 1 account or 2.

So, for clarification, if you buy from HAL, you must use the bonus card by June 2023, if I am reading this correctly? If you dont use it by then you lose it?

please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks

9 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

So, for clarification, if you buy from HAL, you must use the bonus card by June 2023, if I am reading this correctly? If you dont use it by then you lose it?

please correct me if I am wrong.

The expiration date on the bonus cards is June 30. 2023. Anything you purchase with them is non-refundable as of June 30, 2023 as well.

The regular ones have no expiration date.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, craftygrandma said:

Yes, they do expire June 2023.  But I was able to use them to purchase OBC and beverage cards for a Jan 2024 cruise.

Ohh..thats great to know, thank you. 

Can anyone help me figure out what is the best way to redeem the AARP gift cards for onboard purchases? (not cruise fare/payments)

Should I hang onto it until I'm onboard, and then take the gift card to guest services? Would they be able to credit it to my account?

Or, is it better to try to buy onboard credit now, through holland's website? does it matter either way?

Thanks in advance for any intel folks might be willing to share from having done it themselves.

• 5 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, foggyphils said:

For the AARP offer, is the digital code immediately sent or do you have to wait? If so, how long?

I expected  it to come a lot sooner than it did. After 2 hours I called AARP and they expedited the process...took about 24 hours.

• Thanks 1