Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 14

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 5 and Sunday, April 10.

Not looking to award a The Pulitzer Prize for Photography. Just want you to take a photo of something and share it!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Driving home along the shore of port Phillip Bay, a flight of aircraft flew by. When i got to a parking area, they had headed of to the north end of the bay and started putting on a display.

RAAF Roulettes flying over the Albert Park Lake for the F1 Gran Prix. About 8km over the water from me.

Roulettes4.thumb.jpg.b1ea4c872bdb2af08087ae191a0c9e8a.jpg

Roulettes3.thumb.jpg.837a33536e56d9e3a8ba91b0145c0fc2.jpg

Roulettes2.thumb.jpg.d779c514fba6c2fee976c32cb8822439.jpg

Roulettes1.thumb.jpg.2558407e2231be6e7386a6eb0650d2fe.jpg

• Like 7

Making the most of a rare sunny day with an alfresco lunch enjoying views over Sydney harbour

RX033448.thumb.JPG.d1592cbfa8097c98864ac757f5a73624.JPG

This inquisitive brush turkey was very reluctant to leave that table, even after a new guest sat down it kept returning.

RX033438.thumb.JPG.fc37c9c39ee0bc029bebb052cea0c8f1.JPG

• Like 5

On 4/7/2022 at 4:28 AM, boeckli said:

Making the most of a rare sunny day with an alfresco lunch enjoying views over Sydney harbour

RX033448.thumb.JPG.d1592cbfa8097c98864ac757f5a73624.JPG

This inquisitive brush turkey was very reluctant to leave that table, even after a new guest sat down it kept returning.

RX033438.thumb.JPG.fc37c9c39ee0bc029bebb052cea0c8f1.JPG

What, leave cocktail hour with that view? 

It is one of the friendliest places in the world, after all... doesn't it apply to happy hour? (If he was in the wine, might be a bit less welcome without bringing anything to the table...cheeky)

On 4/6/2022 at 11:59 PM, Docker123 said:

Driving home along the shore of port Phillip Bay, a flight of aircraft flew by. When i got to a parking area, they had headed of to the north end of the bay and started putting on a display.

RAAF Roulettes flying over the Albert Park Lake for the F1 Gran Prix. About 8km over the water from me.

Roulettes4.thumb.jpg.b1ea4c872bdb2af08087ae191a0c9e8a.jpg

Roulettes3.thumb.jpg.837a33536e56d9e3a8ba91b0145c0fc2.jpg

Roulettes2.thumb.jpg.d779c514fba6c2fee976c32cb8822439.jpg

Roulettes1.thumb.jpg.2558407e2231be6e7386a6eb0650d2fe.jpg

I was watching today (yesterday) and it was quite cloudy! The drivers said in a press conference they were enjoying how amped up the entire city seemed for the event, more than ever before. 

Coming from a big city I know that what is public relations hype can translate to headaches for locals, but they genuinely seemed overwhelmed by the immensity of the welcome by everyone, including hotel staff and everyone they've been encountering. Of course it's incomparable Australia, but these are some rather jaded travelers and so to hear them say it, it must have something to it 😎🇦🇺

(And they made me sigh heavy when I realized how long it's been since I visited but...the memories are so strong and wonderful it truly does not feel that long ago 🙂 )

All that remains to be seen is how the race plays out on the new track layout. And any cool images? Got a drone Docker? lol (just kidding)

One element of the GP this year is the history. I will ignore the extreme divisiveness it holds here.

Melbourne was the first one cancelled in March 2020. I think on the Saturday. So, for those who care, a very long time.

More generally for Melbourne, we had a total of over 300 days in lockdown. One of which was 111 days. So, people are looking at ways of living life well.

For three or four years, we have had a Peony plant growing in a pot next to the gazebo in the back yard that produced a total of zero blooms over the course of its existence. We gave it proper water and nice potting mix, but it stubbornly refused to show us anything but green. We are nice people, so we decided to do a little research before ripping it out of the pot and sending it to the great composter in the sky. The research confirmed that our water and feed regimen of the little bush was all proper for our zone and that “Paeony” is an accepted spelling of its name. We also found that they are a full-sun plant and the partial-sun location it had been in inhibits blooming. Damn. Full sun was provided this year and it has produced a bloom. One. So far.

100% Improvement

1018559536_2022-14100Improvement.thumb.jpg.d7503d0144741994b9afd3fb106e67f5.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

A little late catching up on the photos - busy with Easter weekend so I never got around to posting the shots from April 9th at the wetlands.  Here goes:

Female least bittern hunting for fish:

original.jpg

Meanwhile, this little blue heron had caught one:

original.jpg

And this baby pied-billed grebe was hoping mom had some fish to deliver, ever hungry as growing chicks are:

original.jpg

This red shouldered hawk was taking a break in a tree across a pond from its nest, where two hungry hawk chicks constantly demand food.  The partner was up there feeding them a gallinule chick, so he could take a break:

original.jpg

The momma red-shouldered hawk, once the chicks were fed the gallinule, flew out to the same tree to take a break of her own, with the only bit of the bird left after the hungry chicks were fed - one leg of the gallinule with just a little bit of meat left:

original.jpg

A glossy ibis, looking lovely and iridescent in the sun:

original.jpg

Two great egret chicks, squabbling and wrestling as siblings do:

original.jpg

An Egyptian goose, out for a stroll on the levee, honking and chattering all the way:

original.jpg

A great blue heron, all spread out as it comes in to land:

original.jpg

A wood stork approaching with some fresh branches to patch up holes and worn spots in its nest as some people watch from the boardwalk behind - the chicks have hatched, but they stick around for 4 weeks, so the nest still has to be repaired and maintained:

original.jpg

• Like 6