Royal Caribbean Dining room question

Hi...will be on our first cruise in 9 years next May to Alaska...since my last cruise in 2014, my diet has had to change due to type 2 diabetes and a recent gallbladder removal...hence my question is how are the low fat or diabetic options onboard ship?  I do control with medication (not insulin dependent) but some foods with fat in them will set off my system, so to speak.  Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Discuss your specific needs with the MDR staff on the first night - they will accommodate. 

Thanks for your answer but I'm more interested in what others have had to make it an enjoyable meal

With the wide variety of food choices each day my DS with Type 1 diabetes was able to find plenty to eat.  He does recognize carb counts which really helps.  The fat issue could be addressed with a discussion with the chef about lower fat alternatives.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alicam said:

Hi...will be on our first cruise in 9 years next May to Alaska...since my last cruise in 2014, my diet has had to change due to type 2 diabetes and a recent gallbladder removal...hence my question is how are the low fat or diabetic options onboard ship?  I do control with medication (not insulin dependent) but some foods with fat in them will set off my system, so to speak.  Thanks in advance

Talk to the head waiter on day one, he will come to your table every night to pick the menu for the following night. If nothing on the menu is suitable they will prepare a special menu for you. My wife has diabetes she controls with diet only, head waiter was so over the top in helping that after three nights she told him he was no longer needed and thanked him for his help. 

• Like 5

Thanks for your answer but I'm more interested in what others have had to make it an enjoyable meal

Only you know what you like/can eat.  Let them know that very soon on boarding, you’ll have no issues, they will def work with and accommodate you.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Talk to the head waiter on day one, he will come to your table every night to pick the menu for the following night. If nothing on the menu is suitable they will prepare a special menu for you. 

I have had similar experiences. I've taken 2 cruises since being diagnosed T2 - Norwegian and Carnival. The dining staff are very serious when they ask if there are any medical conditions or food allergies. I control through oral medication (no insulin) and diet so I'm VERY particular about foods and ingredients. (Carbs are my blood sugar nemesis)

Talk to the maitre d' at the MDR once you arrive on the ship. He/She will make note of your restrictions. You will most likely be allowed to look at each day's menu a day early to choose your dinner and can customize (within reason) to meet dietary concerns. I definitely recommend doing this each day for the next day so that the kitchen has time to customize your plate. 

I never had a problem finding food I could eat and I never went hungry. 

• Like 1

It's going to be more of an issue of you realizing what does and does not work with your conditions, and then ordering accordingly.

You can customize any meal.  If you want broccoli instead of a baked potato, just ask.  If you want your meat without the sauce on top, just ask.  If you want something off the vegetarian menu or children's menu, just ask.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

It's going to be more of an issue of you realizing what does and does not work with your conditions, and then ordering accordingly.

You can customize any meal.  If you want broccoli instead of a baked potato, just ask.  If you want your meat without the sauce on top, just ask.  If you want something off the vegetarian menu or children's menu, just ask.  

Preaching to the choir, OP seems to want people to select the dining menu for them.  Moving along…

42 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Preaching to the choir, OP seems to want people to select the dining menu for them.  Moving along…

I don't think that is what I said but if you think so, you can go take a long walk on a short pier...move along yourself

I try to follow a low glycemic diet.  I don't have any blood sugar issues, but I lost a bunch of weight 20+ years ago following the Sugar Busters lifestyle.  I've put some of that weight back on because I stopped being so diligent, but I still try to avoid those "empty carbs" at meals.  Ironically, I tend to lose weight when I cruise.  This is because I have the ability to choose exactly what I eat.  Like @brillohead suggested, I get broccoli instead of potatoes, no sauces, no bread, etc.  The buffet is great because I can fill up on proteins - eggs, meats, etc. 

I am not sure what restrictions you have due to the gall bladder removal, but that could be an issue.  My daughter had that done years ago and early on, she had to avoid anything fatty, most dairy and no nuts.  If that's your case, it's going to be challenging since that's a bunch of the low glycemic foods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that is what I said but if you think so, you can go take a long walk on a short pier...move along yourself

K, wish the same for you, perhaps we can walk the pier together.  And for the record I did not quote you, tad sensitive it seems

Edited by LGW59

I'm a Type 2 diabetic (diet and oral meds) for 10 years  now and I always lose weight on a cruise.   I have no trouble monitoring my blood glucose levels on board.  I eat what I want off the menu using the same types of choices I use at home.   If I eat dessert, generally I don't finish it and I don't troll the buffet during the day.   I can understand people who have had certain surgeries who need to be vigilant and the wait staff will do all they can to accommodate you.