Dress Code

17 hours ago, rucrazy said:

You guys look Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Her we are from our last holiday cruise aboard HAL

J&D.jpg

So do you, and I envy you for still standing. Our pic sideways is pretty much how we felt as the evening wore on.  🙂

Edited by Hobar
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2022 at 5:50 AM, lincslady said:

Just to add to the confusion - I have worn in the dining room for dinner  (not on a formal evening) black or white denim 'jeans' (with the back pockets covered by a top worn outside them).  Never a problem.  I think it is the blue denim colour that acts like a red rag to a bull for those who disapprove, plus the rivets and a belt.

I have worn blue jeans in the Restaurant on occasion, but I dare not admit that on this thread as I surely will be crucified.  Last time I did, though, was on the Panama Canal holiday cruise when many were quarantined and the Restaurant was barely 20% capacity.  But ssssh, don’t tell anyone. 

Lots of men look fine in a jacket without a tie; my DH just looked a mess, maybe something to do with the shape of the face, or the neck, so although he didn't much like wearing one he always did when a jacket was required.

In my case it was the shirt. A shirt designed to be 'open necked' has a different design to a 'closed neck'. A tie with an open necked shirt always looked odd on me and a closed neck shirt without a tie looked even stranger!  ... the whole collar was displaced? 

Our uniform 'tropical' white shirts always looked different from a 'standard' design.

I often thought of winding folk up by wearing a mess jacket with epaullets but I just look like an ice cream seller from a 1960's movie  😉

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm starting to dread my cruise after reading this threat.  I'm on a 34 night cruise and it will be difficult to find the balance for excursion clothing and ship clothing because my excursions are usually very active (lost of walking or hiking when available) and I may not feel like dressing up in the evening.  I also do want to have to bring two outfits for each day or a bunch of shoes.  I'll likely bring a black dress or two but I'm not dragging any long formal gowns,   I dress in suits every day for work and I'd like to be comfortable on my vacation and not forced to wear elegant clothing every evening. I think too many people care what other people wear. Is this elegant dining for eating venues only, if so, I'd rather eat in my cabin most evenings.

29 minutes ago, babydrum said:

I'm starting to dread my cruise after reading this threat.

Don't dread. And don't regard the dress code as a threat🤣

You don't need to drag gowns and a bunch of shoes. You do need two outfits for each day — one for day expedition activities and one for dinner — but you definitely don't need a different two outfits for every day!  We did an 18-day expedition cruise on Silversea (which is generally more strict about dress code than Seabourn) this past winter, with luggage limits for Antarctica (and we brought our own boots)… and it wasn't a problem. It took a little planning, but my wife and I managed perfectly well with clothing for the evenings. My wife had a few dresses/skirts/tops/sweaters and two pair of evening shoes, if I recall correctly. I had one sport jacket, a few sweaters, two or three pair of pants, and one pair of shoes for 18 dinners. I don't think anyone noticed or cared that I wore the same shoes every night. And as long as I complied with the dress code and my wife was okay with what I was wearing, that's all that mattered! We're booked for a 15-day Seabourn expedition cruise next fall, and I don't expect the dress code to pose any problem. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Don't dread. And don't regard the dress code as a threat🤣

You don't need to drag gowns and a bunch of shoes. You do need two outfits for each day — one for day expedition activities and one for dinner — but you definitely don't need a different two outfits for every day!  We did an 18-day expedition cruise on Silversea (which is generally more strict about dress code than Seabourn) this past winter, with luggage limits for Antarctica (and we brought our own boots)… and it wasn't a problem. It took a little planning, but my wife and I managed perfectly well with clothing for the evenings. My wife had a few dresses/skirts/tops/sweaters and two pair of evening shoes, if I recall correctly. I had one sport jacket, a few sweaters, two or three pair of pants, and one pair of shoes for 18 dinners. I don't think anyone noticed or cared that I wore the same shoes every night. And as long as I complied with the dress code and my wife was okay with what I was wearing, that's all that mattered! We're booked for a 15-day Seabourn expedition cruise next fall, and I don't expect the dress code to pose any problem. 

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant thread!  You are correct, I guess I just felt overwhelmed reading all of the suggestions.  I'll try to get creative.  I've never been on a cruise line that had more than a few formal nights and normal resort casual was acceptable the rest of the time even at dinner.

3 hours ago, babydrum said:

I've never been on a cruise line that had more than a few formal nights and normal resort casual was acceptable the rest of the time even at dinner.

Well, Seabourn is no different! On your 34-day cruise, you should have just 3 formal nights. And the formal dress code, such as it is, applies only to the main Restaurant. Resort casual is fine all the other nights, and at the other restaurants on the three formal nights. And you could wear the same outfit for each of the formal nights unless it would bother you personally; no one else will be taking notes! Don't stress about the dress code!

(I knew "threat" was a typo; I was just having some fun. 😀)

• 2 months later...

first time seaborn cruiser, i usually cruise on oceania and azamara..

i'm looking for a little clarity on men's dress in the evening on casual nights. i am used to dressing for dinner with slacks and a nice polo shirt or colorful golf shirt. i know that on formal nights i'll dine in a venue other than the main dining room, but will i feel out of place dressed this way. just trying to determine that i will feel comfortable on seaborn.

thanks

steve

1 hour ago, thatbloominplace said:

first time seaborn cruiser, i usually cruise on oceania and azamara..

i'm looking for a little clarity on men's dress in the evening on casual nights. i am used to dressing for dinner with slacks and a nice polo shirt or colorful golf shirt. i know that on formal nights i'll dine in a venue other than the main dining room, but will i feel out of place dressed this way. just trying to determine that i will feel comfortable on seaborn.

thanks

steve

Well it's elegant casual, not casual.  I often wear a "Panama" / Tommy Bahama type untucked button down shirt with slacks most casual nights on most luxury or premium cruise lines (except Cunard).  I'd say this is pretty typical attire especially in a warmer climate like the Caribbean or Med.  Some men wear open collar, office style button down shirts (long or short sleeve) and some do wear polo shirts.  I rotate my shirts, and since they are typically worn only for 4-6 hours max each night I wear them multiple times (gasp).  Occasionally I'll stuff one or two shirts into the $50 laundry bag if there is room.

The idea is elegant casual, not weekend casual.  Wear what you would wear to a local restaurant where the meal would cost $50+ per person, not what you would wear to Applebees or Outback.  The Seabourn  mens dress code for elegant casual also says "sweater".  

There's shades of gray too:  a fitted polo looks better on some men than others.  A baggy untucked polo is weekend wear.  And then some people just don't care 🙂

Edited by stan01

I think @stan01 pretty much nailed it. If you're cruising in the Caribbean, there will certainly be some men wearing a polo/gold shirt, but most will wear collared, button-down shirts (tucked or untucked "Tommy Bahama"-type). Seabourn's dress code language calls for "collared dress shirt or sweater" on Elegant Casual nights. I don't think polo/golf shirts are "dress shirts". Will you feel out of place wearing a polo shirt? You'll be in the minority, but not the only one; whether that makes you feel out of place or not is something only you can answer. 😀

When we started cruising on Seabourn (about 6 years ago) I would always take my Tux and DW would bring some really nice outfits for formal nights.  But on our 2 most recent SB cruises (within the past year) I no longer bother taking my tux, and simply bring along a blazer.  On formal nights, I will generally wear the jacket (sans tie) and seem to be dressed like the majority.   I think the days of truly dressing formal on formal nights, has fallen out of favor with the large majority of SB cruisers (and cruisers on most other lines).  We also found it interesting that the new Explora Journeys cruise line decided not to have any formal nights.  While their ship (EJ1) is quite elegant and it is a true luxury line, they do not see the need or demand for formal nights.

Hank

• Like 4

We'll be on a 28 day cruise with Seabourn this coming summer.  I doubt that my husband will take his tux.  He will take a navy blazer as well as a second sports coat and several pairs of pants to go with them.  He prefers to wear bow ties when he wears a tie.  On elegant casual nights, he wears either the blazer or his other sports coat--but that's just him.  He is not the type for a Tommy Bahama shirt.    Everyone is different and we come from different parts of the world and different social cultures (even within the same city or state).  I think it is up to each person to decide what constitute's elegant casual as they understand it.  There is actually quite a spectrum of dress that meets that term (using the SB guidelines) .  As for me, I bring a black dress, some black pants and tops which can be changed up with scarves, jewelry etc.  I bring a few dresses because I am a primarily a dress person.  Other women never wear dresses and that is ok.  I wouldn't let worry about the Seabourn dress code keep me from enjoying a cruise.  No one is going to comment on how you dress and you will always be able to find people who are either more dressed up than you are and less dressed up than you are.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, bosworth2 said:

Does Seabourn Quest still require men to wear jackets on formal nights?

Quest and the other non-expedition ships do still "require" a jacket in the Restaurant (main dining room) on formal nights.  Less formal dining locations such as Colonnade, Earth and Ocean, and Sushi In the Club do not "require" a jacket on formal nights.  What happens if you show up at Restaurant without a jacket depends entirely on who is working and what they decide to do.  They could let you in, they could offer you a jacket, or they could ask you to go elsewhere.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:56 PM, bosworth2 said:

Does Seabourn Quest still require men to wear jackets on formal nights?

On the Odyssey this past summer, the man at the table next to us in the Restaurant arrived sans jacket. The host seated him, then quickly brought over a suit jacket that was placed on the back of his chair. It was pretty amusing, in my opinion.

• Haha 1