Dress Code

A lounge suit is a business suit in the UK and many other places. It’s worn as everyday garb  but not on occasions when formal dress is requested.

And about Texas finery including cowboy boots etc, well, why not?! If you feel good you will certainly add to the ambiance. Many invitations traditionally state formal dress or national dress. If those boots work for you and/or in Texas go for it!

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markham said:

And about Texas finery including cowboy boots etc, well, why not?! If you feel good you will certainly add to the ambiance. Many invitations traditionally state formal dress or national dress. If those boots work for you and/or in Texas go for it!

Could not agree more... Telling a person from Texas not to wear cowboy boots would be like telling a Scot they can't adorn a kilt.

• Like 1

Major disagreement here. First of all, jeans - don't care where you buy them or how much they cost or whether or not they are starched, they are not the "national dress" in the U.S. and ARE NOT appropriate as formal attire on Seabourn in the Restaurant. How about $300 ripped jeans or maybe we should just wear our best bib overalls and cowboy hats and not even bother to take the hat off at the table (eye roll). If someone doesn't have a pair of pants that fits well, spend a couple of bucks for a decent pair. You're cruising on Seabourn for gosh sakes - you can afford it!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Major disagreement here. First of all, jeans - don't care where you buy them or how much they cost or whether or not they are starched, they are not the "national dress" in the U.S. and ARE NOT appropriate as formal attire on Seabourn in the Restaurant. How about $300 ripped jeans or maybe we should just wear our best bib overalls and cowboy hats and not even bother to take the hat off at the table (eye roll). If someone doesn't have a pair of pants that fits well, spend a couple of bucks for a decent pair. You're cruising on Seabourn for gosh sakes - you can afford it!

Most of this thread is just talk--for the sake of it.  I don't think anyone said that blue jeans are national dress.  And I don't recall anyone threatening to wear a cowboy hat--not appropriate indoors anyway.  I totally agree with you about ripped jeans--never have been able to figure out that trend.  I do agree with you also that everyone that sails SB should be able to afford decent dress pants.  I don't think that is the issue.  The issue appears to be the will to wear them.  

SLSD - markham just above suggested "Texas attire" and the "national dress" idea and rucrazy supported it. If someone doesn't have will to wear the appropriate attire, other venues on the ship can accommodate them. A simple solution. 

5 minutes ago, twodjs said:

rucrazy supported it. 

I supported someone wanting to wear cowboy boots 

just like I would support a Scot wearing a kilt

Individuality is important my husband and i wear tuxedos

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I supported someone wanting to wear cowboy boots 

just like I would support a Scot wearing a kilt

Individuality is important my husband and i wear tuxedos

We actually agree. Kudos to you for your tux choice. And I've seen some amazing formal kilts. Cowboy boots with a tux work for me. What bothers me is so many posters trying to suggest that jeans in any form are acceptable. There are plenty of other cruiselines and even other venues on Seabourn for that. Just not in the Restaurant.

• Like 3

I think we were just talking generalities here about dress clothes. As I understand it, no jeans in The Restaurant, no exceptions.  Boots, maybe.  This is our first Seaborne cruise, are dress jeans allowed in the evening anywhere on board?  

1 hour ago, Asquare said:

are dress jeans allowed in the evening anywhere on board?  

Yes they are allowed in the Colonnade and in the evening the Patio Grill by the pool becomes Earth and Ocean. This is quite popular though and fills up quickly.

Oh the joys of the English language and our interpretations.  Just IMO, a lounge suit is a business suit, and  a tuxedo is a dinner jacket suit, normally worn with bow tie.    I have always thought that a white dinner jacket (with black trousers) is what men may wear in what are considered tropical or at least hot climates.

6 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Regardless of the cruise line we sail we ALWAYS wear our tuxes on formal nights.. But that is more for us than anyone else.. We still enjoy the dress up party!

My husband was in quarantine on our cruise over NYE, so a couple of nights later, we and our friends dressed up.  I like to dress when I want, how I want.  

08CA922F-7331-4DCE-A89A-E49446C7116B.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

SLSD - markham just above suggested "Texas attire" and the "national dress" idea and rucrazy supported it. If someone doesn't have will to wear the appropriate attire, other venues on the ship can accommodate them. A simple solution. 

I am not arguing with that at all.  I thought Markham suggested that my husband could wear his cowboy boots with his tuxedo which is what he usually does, but hasn't done on a ship.  

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Oh the joys of the English language and our interpretations.  Just IMO, a lounge suit is a business suit, and  a tuxedo is a dinner jacket suit, normally worn with bow tie.   

Yup .... you forgot to mention a Sport Jacket? A non English piece of attire. 

For interpretations of languages I always used to chuckle at Jasper Carrott discussing the difference between erasers and rubbers in different parts of the world.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hobar said:

My husband was in quarantine on our cruise over NYE, so a couple of nights later, we and our friends dressed up.  I like to dress when I want, how I want.  

08CA922F-7331-4DCE-A89A-E49446C7116B.jpeg

You guys look Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Her we are from our last holiday cruise aboard HAL

J&D.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Asquare said:

I think we were just talking generalities here about dress clothes. As I understand it, no jeans in The Restaurant, no exceptions.  Boots, maybe.  This is our first Seaborne cruise, are dress jeans allowed in the evening anywhere on board?  

I would like to recommend that only dress cowboy boots should be allowed.  LOL  Yes, there is such a thing as dress cowboy boots and those are the ones my husband wears with a tux.  I think a few posters are concerned about this thread when a lot of it was just light hearted talk.  My husband is the one of the men who always wears a jacket (conservative sports coat in his case), dress shirt, dress slacks and tie to dinner.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, SLSD said:

My husband is the one of the men who always wears a jacket (conservative sports coat in his case), dress shirt, dress slacks and tie to dinner

I thought it was me 🙂 I will never wear a jacket without a tie ... and someone once pulled me up for that ... pointing out that the tie was not required! When I told them I knew that, they were stumped for a reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

My husband is the one of the men who always wears a jacket (conservative sports coat in his case), dress shirt, dress slacks and tie to dinner.  

I had no doubt! after all this is Seabourn! (clearing throat) 🙂

• Like 1

Lots of men look fine in a jacket without a tie; my DH just looked a mess, maybe something to do with the shape of the face, or the neck, so although he didn't much like wearing one he always did when a jacket was required.  And I would say on informal nights there would be more men without ties than with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Lots of men look fine in a jacket without a tie; my DH just looked a mess, maybe something to do with the shape of the face, or the neck, so although he didn't much like wearing one he always did when a jacket was required.  And I would say on informal nights there would be more men without ties than with.

Mr. SLSD is one of those guys who looks just right in a bow tie, so that is what he wears onboard  To me, a bow tie is a bit festive and fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rucrazy said:

You guys look Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Her we are from our last holiday cruise aboard HAL

J&D.jpg

Was this NYE? Men get the same style hat on Seabourn on NYE except it's black and gold. I've been trying to find a photo to show you.Ladies get a 1920s style tiara, complete with faux feathers!

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

Was this NYE? Men get the same style hat on Seabourn on NYE except it's black and gold. I've been trying to find a photo to show you.Ladies get a 1920s style tiara, complete with faux feathers!

Yes NYE 2020 on the Volendam.... 

HAL has the same setup Men getting top hats and ladies receiving the Tiara!

• Like 1