Dress Code

14 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

I know this has been covered ad nauseam but how are people dressing these days in the dining venues?

What I have gathered so far is .... No jeans after 6pm sport coat for men desirable but optional.

There has been no change to the dress code, officially or unofficially. In our experience, almost everyone follows the dress code.

From the Seabourn website:

Is There A Dress Code?

Attire During the Day:

• During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

The itinerary in the preliminary document booklet will inform you of the number of Formal evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal evenings are scheduled as follows:

• Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal evening
  • Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal evenings
  • Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal evenings
  • Thanks 2

I would agree - most follow the suggested attire. On one occasion, I did see the staff provide a coat for a guest who arrived at the Restaurant without one on the formal evening. Don't plan on that though. Just pack a simple suit coat or choose an alternate venue for the evening. Easy peasy.

Dress for the venue.  Restaurant and TK would be whatever you wear to a nice restaurant at home.  More casual and jeans in Colonnade and Patio / Earth Ocean.  Since I prefer jeans, I often eat at Colonnade and Patio / Earth Ocean.  

5 hours ago, Hobar said:

Dress for the venue.  Restaurant and TK would be whatever you wear to a nice restaurant at home.  More casual and jeans in Colonnade and Patio / Earth Ocean.  Since I prefer jeans, I often eat at Colonnade and Patio / Earth Ocean.  

For clarification, you are saying that you wear jeans before 6pm at the Colonnade and the Patio during the day for breakfast or lunch?

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Does anyone know if boutonnieres are available for purchase formal nights ?

I have never seen them for purchase onboard, my husband brings his own.

If Handre is onboard, he was a cruise director but is now in corporate but is onboard sometimes, he might lend you one. I blame him for my husband's small collection as he admired what Handre wore sometimes.

9 hours ago, SLSD said:

For clarification, you are saying that you wear jeans before 6pm at the Colonnade and the Patio during the day for breakfast or lunch?

Jeans, shorts, or just about anything is fine during the day.  On the Ovation now and many of us are always wearing shorts during the day.  Jeans would almost be too dressy 🙂

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Jeans, shorts, or just about anything is fine during the day.  On the Ovation now and many of us are always wearing shorts during the day.  Jeans would almost be too dressy 🙂

Hank

Gosh--I know that---I am a SB cruiser, but I thought another poster's post was ambiguous and wasn't clear that jeans are not appropriate after 6pm--anywhere on the ship.  I was probably too oblique in what I posted---trying to be polite.  

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

Gosh--I know that---I am a SB cruiser, but I thought another poster's post was ambiguous and wasn't clear that jeans are not appropriate after 6pm--anywhere on the ship.  I was probably too oblique in what I posted---trying to be polite.  

Actually, the dress code does NOT say what you think it does. (It surprised me, too, when I re-read it recently.) Here, straight from the Seabourn website, is what it says (red color added by me):

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

So it's ambiguous at best. It specifically says no jeans in The Restaurant in the evening. It doesn't address whether jeans are allowed elsewhere, so in the absence of a negative, it would seem jeans are allowed in other dining venues and lounges. On the other hand, one could argue that the definition of Elegant Casual for ladies — Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress — doesn't include jeans, so jeans are not appropriate for any dining venue.

I don't understand why they write it in such an ambiguous way! If the intent is to say no jeans after 6 pm, then why not say that, instead of only saying no jeans in The Restaurant?

I almost believe someone at Seabourn headquarters said, "look, if we write it this way, people on Cruise Critic and Facebook will be debating about it for the next five years!" 😉  (The next planned revision will mention "dressy jeans" in order to stir up debates for the subsequent five years.)

Edited by cruiseej
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Actually, the dress code does NOT say what you think it does. (It surprised me, too, when I re-read it recently.) Here, straight from the Seabourn website, is what it says (red color added by me):

Wow!  Thanks for pointing this out.  Is this new wording?  Or, has it been this way all along?  Evidently, jeans are ok everywhere but The Restaurant--which means you can wear them to the TK Grill, The Colonnade in the evenings , Earth and Ocean etc.  I'm still not sure I would wear them after 6pm.  I DO wear them during the day, but always change.  In fact, I can remember leaving the Observation Bar as it turned 6pm because I was in jeans, going to change and coming back in what I thought was more appropriate dress.  The wording may be ambiguous, but when you look at it--it is clear that only The Restaurant is mentioned as a place where jeans are inappropriate.  For me, this is a sea change.  

18 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The wording may be ambiguous, but when you look at it--it is clear that only The Restaurant is mentioned as a place where jeans are inappropriate.  

In the words of a former President "Trust but Verify"!

12 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

In the words of a former President "Trust but Verify"!

As I said, I probably wouldn't wear jeans in the evening anyway.  I can't think of any  nice restaurants in my home city where I would wear them in the evening.  But--others live in different places where dress customs may be different.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SLSD said:

But--others live in different places where dress customs may be different.  

I know what you mean.. David and I love to dress for dinner.. the only problem where we live, there does not seem to be enough "NICE" restaurants to patronize!