Wine at steakhouse 1st night?

beddibi

Can I book this in advance for the first night for the free bottle of wine or do I have to wait to board the ship and reserve for the first night to get the free wine?  I'm sailing on the Valir if that makes a difference.  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, beddibi said:

Can I book this in advance for the first night for the free bottle of wine or do I have to wait to board the ship and reserve for the first night to get the free wine?  I'm sailing on the Valir if that makes a difference.  Thank you!

You can book in advance.

We booked in advance for first night at Steakhouse on Sunshine.  I asked if we could get the free bottle of wine and order more wine at 50% off.  I was told it was one or the other.  I purchased 2 bottles (could have ordered more than 2) and they were kept for us the rest of our cruise when we would want a glass at other restaurants. Worked out great!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We booked in advance for first night at Steakhouse on Sunshine.  I asked if we could get the free bottle of wine and order more wine at 50% off.  I was told it was one or the other.  I purchased 2 bottles (could have ordered more than 2) and they were kept for us the rest of our cruise when we would want a glass at other restaurants. Worked out great!

Could you have opted to take them back to the cabin to enjoy on the balcony? Or is it mandatory to leave them with service staff? 

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Could you have opted to take them back to the cabin to enjoy on the balcony? Or is it mandatory to leave them with service staff? 

I think I was offered to take the rest of the bottle with me but I asked to have it kept for us.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I wouldn't bank on that unless they have changed the rules again. Since cruising restarted we could order bottles as we drank them, but not a surplus.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I wouldn't bank on that unless they have changed the rules again. Since cruising restarted we could order bottles as we drank them, but not a surplus.

Hmmm, maybe it depends on the ship.  The hostess at Steakhouse told me I could order as many bottles as I wanted but you're right, it could be different with a different person in charge.  

54 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hmmm, maybe it depends on the ship.  The hostess at Steakhouse told me I could order as many bottles as I wanted but you're right, it could be different with a different person in charge.  

or maybe our mistake is asking a server instead of the hostess?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

or maybe our mistake is asking a server instead of the hostess?

That could be it.  I confirmed our Steakhouse reservations early in the day and that was the info I got from the hostess.  Once we were seated I just assumed what she said was correct and there you go.  No one questioned me.  Maybe I looked mean😜

• Haha 1

The white is much better than the red. I like wine (price can vary on what I buy) and inexpensive wine can be just as good, if not better, than pricier ones (I am NOT a wine snob so I will try everything, Lol) BUT that being said the white wine is ok and the red was meh.

• Like 2

As others mentioned...you can book in advance.

Steakhouse wine on the Sunshine was Santa Helena Varietal Merlot for the red. I took a picture of it - so I don't know what the white woulda have been. I'm not a wine expert but that's what the label said - though on Google I see different labels of the same text.

We saw people take the open bottle back.

Edited by atlantatransplant

If we have 4 cabins booked, and want to go to the steak house the first night, will we only get 1 bottle of wine or because we have 4 separate reservations, will get 4? 

If we got to the steak house, and asked to all be at one large table, would that change how many bottles of wine we get?  If so, on Mardi Gras, would we be able to sit at 4 tables close to each other?

If we don't drink the wine, we have Cheers, can we take the wine back to the cabin to drink on the balconies?  Thanks.

I'm planning on splurging with the 50% wines in the steakhouse as the premium wines at 50% off are actually cheaper than retail. The wine list has Silver Oak for $110, so it would be $55. Total wine sells it for $85. I noticed several others that are great values at half price.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kennystwin said:

I'm planning on splurging with the 50% wines in the steakhouse as the premium wines at 50% off are actually cheaper than retail. The wine list has Silver Oak for $110, so it would be $55. Total wine sells it for $85. I noticed several others that are great values at half price.

where can you see the wine list?

On 4/8/2022 at 5:37 PM, mdin said:

FWIW, I suggest taking the 50% off offer. I had the free Santa Helena red wine and it was terrible. 

Agreed.  First time on Sunrise we got the free red, and I later poured the rest of it down the drain.  Second time, I chose a 50% off white.  Lesson learned.