Syntagma Square to Port question

envy4u

I agree that the X80 bus is better than the metro as it takes you all the way to the cruise port. The metro is a long walk away.

Pre-COVID the going rate for a taxi from Syntagma to the port was around 25-30 euros.  Taxis are generally small and I think it would be difficult to fit more than 2 people with the normal amount of cruise luggage in a single taxi. Perhaps three people if light packers and/or one of them is a child.

• 1 month later...

I would just add that if you do take the Metro to Pireaus you can use that same ticket to take the local bus (I think it is the #843) from across the street of the main station entrance to a stop close to the port.  Personally, I prefer to walk (nearly a mile) but that bus is an option and does not cost extra.  

Hank

We were in Piraeus,Terminal B (Odyssey of the Seas), May 19, 2022.

* About a dozen of us waited for the X80 bus. (Ticket booth and bus stop located just outside the cruise building.)

* When the X80 bus failed to show up by 8:00am, we asked the military personnel standing nearby. They said it was NOT operating and they don't know when it will start.

* Everyone left and we went to our contingency plan B...we walked outside the cruise terminal (about a 1/4 mile) and found 4 buses parked just outside the wall. We went up to each driver and politely asked if they were going to the METRO.

* The 4th driver said "yes"...then we asked if we can buy bus tickets from him...he said: "You don't have to buy tickets for the bus...sit close to me and I'll tell you when we get to the Metro...buy your tickets there". (8:15am)

* Less than 3 minutes, we were at the Piraeus Metro. We decided to buy the 24-hr ticket(€4.10/person)...Green line, Piraeus to Omonia, transferred to the Red line, Omonia to Acropolis (Akropoli).

On the way back, we took the Metro at Monastriaki, Green line, that ended in PIraeus...no transfer necessary.

* Across the street from the Metro, we took bus 843 back to the cruise terminal.  What a wonderful but extremely windy day in Athens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you so much for the wealth of info you're so graciously providing. It helps a lot.

Here I was with X80 as plan A.... ☹️

Dani,

Hopefully the X80 bus will be operational by the time of your cruise.

* We should be the ones thanking you.

You have helped us many times and genuinely happy we can return the favor...heart.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 2:29 AM, freddy penguin said:

Just took a taxi from that area last week and it was 20 euro to the port.

Seeing that bus X80 might not be a "viable" option, could you remember if the taxis can hold 4 people + the driver?

Another couple in our cruise wants to share a taxi with us to Acropolis, thank you,

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Seeing that bus X80 might not be a "viable" option, could you remember if the taxis can hold 4 people + the driver?

Another couple in our cruise wants to share a taxi with us to Acropolis, thank you,

It could be impossible with luggage in a car taxi. But there are many minivan taxis.  Your hotel can call you one.  

24 minutes ago, marazul said:

It could be impossible with luggage in a car taxi. But there are many minivan taxis.  Your hotel can call you one.  

Thank you, sorry, I didn't explain myself.

Our plan was to take the X80 from the port stop at Piraeus to Acropolis. It seems, from the above, the X80 is not working.

My question is: From the port stop at Piraeus to Acropolis, no luggage, just 2 couples, a regular taxi could take us?

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, sorry, I didn't explain myself.

Our plan was to take the X80 from the port stop at Piraeus to Acropolis. It seems, from the above, the X80 is not working.

My question is: From the port stop at Piraeus to Acropolis, no luggage, just 2 couples, a regular taxi could take us?

On our walk out the cruise terminal in Piraeus, 3 taxis stopped to offer rides to Athens...two of the drivers yelled out "€25!"...the last one "€20".

The taxis that we saw can accommodate 4 people and the driver.

* 3 in the back and 1 riding shotgun.

* If two of you are the size of my younger brother, 6'2" - 250 lbs...it would be a tight fit. :classic_biggrin:

21 hours ago, saltshell said:

Does the bus go from the port to Plaka area?

Yes.   There is a stop at Syntagma Square and you can enter the Plaka area from that location.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Hlitner said:

Yes.   There is a stop at Syntagma Square and you can enter the Plaka area from that location.

Hi

going to Athens in September. Took the bus the last time I was there. Can you just tell me please is the Plaka area easy to find from Syntagma square. And

do you get the return bus where the bus left you off 

thanks 

2 hours ago, nelderwoman said:

Hi

going to Athens in September. Took the bus the last time I was there. Can you just tell me please is the Plaka area easy to find from Syntagma square. And

do you get the return bus where the bus left you off 

thanks 

The Plaka actually starts right across the street from Syntagma Square.  Easy to find or just ask anyone to point you in the right direction.  I would only add that the Plaka has become even more touristy (if that is possible) in the last few years.  There are better shopping areas in Athens.  And if you happen to be in Athens on a Sunday do not miss the Monastiraki Flea Market which is loads of fun.

Hank

2 hours ago, saltshell said:

Hiltner, Can you elaborate on better shopping areas in Athens? Thanks

Egads, I have spent my life avoiding shopping but can mention a few spots.  As I previously mentioned, the area around Monastiraki is where to go on Sunday's.  On other days of the week that area does have its share of shops but is probably not worth the trek for most.  Some folks enjoy Evripidou Street (google it) which has some decent shops for those who enjoy places selling various gourmet and other food items.   

But my favorite area for higher end shopping is quite far from the down town area and is known as Kifissia.  It is quite a few miles from central Athens but just happens to be along the Metro Green Line which is the same metro that goes to Pireaus.  We have sometimes just taken the Green Line from Pireaus all the way to Kifissia and spent our day browsing and eating in that upscale suburb.  We are talking about more expensive boutiques and designer stores and this neighborhood is not for those looking for a bargain.  More like the Rodeo Drive area of Athens although not quite as exclusive.  I recommend Kifissia for those who have already done the usual touristy stuff in Athens and want to relax in an upscale suburb with both good shopping and restaurants without the hustle/bustle of central Athens.

Hank

On 5/23/2022 at 4:56 PM, bonsai3s said:

We were in Piraeus,Terminal B (Odyssey of the Seas), May 19, 2022.

* About a dozen of us waited for the X80 bus. (Ticket booth and bus stop located just outside the cruise building.)

* When the X80 bus failed to show up by 8:00am, we asked the military personnel standing nearby. They said it was NOT operating and they don't know when it will start.

We got off NCL Jade at Terminal B as well, on 19 June 2022, and X80 buses were in operation.  We took one to Syntagma Square, and then the X95 bus to the airport. About 4 EUR for each bus per pax, I think.

There is supposedly a X96 bus that operates between the pier and the airport, but we couldn't find it.  😞 

• Thanks 1