No more COVID tests?

LindaJ+

From HAL website 3/25:

Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel.

Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

Now if they can just have this for Canada. No testing required to enter the country, but HAL still requiring tests pre boarding

Canada is requiring tests to board a cruise ship...HAL is just passing along that requirement.

• Like 3

We were recently notified by our TA that we will need proof of a negative Covid test taken within 3 days of boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver for our August cruisetour.  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

From HAL website 3/25:

Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel.

Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.  

I am confused by the above. This is what I am seeing for cruises departing from the U.S. https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/US-Cruise-Protocols-0314.pdf

92AE0195-F7F9-4720-9E3C-0CF50D817BD4.jpeg

1 hour ago, fabric_fabric said:

I am confused by the above. This is what I am seeing for cruises departing from the U.S. https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/US-Cruise-Protocols-0314.pdf

What is confusing about HAL's current testing guidance that you highlighted. If you can provide more specifics, I can try to help alleviate the confusion.

3 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

What is confusing about HAL's current testing guidance that you highlighted. If you can provide more specifics, I can try to help alleviate the confusion.

I think I understand what I posted, but It’s the part I quoted that says “Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions”. I think tests ARE required?

Edited by fabric_fabric
Further explanation

8 minutes ago, fabric_fabric said:

I think I understand what I posted, but It’s the part I quoted that says “Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements, but we strongly encourage all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions”. I think tests ARE required?

Next month we are going on a European cruise with 15 ports and there is just no way we can figure out what to expect re testing.  Is it too much to ask from HAL to give us some information?  No information has been given from them except to let us know we will be required to present a negative test on embarkation. And this was this week we were informed of this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

Next month we are going on a European cruise with 15 ports and there is just no way we can figure out what to expect re testing.  Is it too much to ask from HAL to give us some information?  No information has been given from them except to let us know we will be required to present a negative test on embarkation. And this was this week we were informed of this. 

I suspect if a test is required to enter a country, or board the ship in that country, that is what you need to worry about. If a test is required for subsequent ports, the timing issue pretty much forces HAL to provide the test.

For example, we are boarding a HAL ship in Copenhagen. Denmark DOES NOT require a test to enter Denmark (you can find this out by Google searching, or monitoring the ports board for the country you are sailing from), nor to board a ship in Denmark. We stop at several countries on our cruise, but the timing of testing for those countries would come up while we are on the ship. The only way to meet those possible requirements is to test on the ship.

Remember, you are ultimately responsible for your own testing requirements until you step on the ship. Not HAL. Just like visa and passport requirements. The statement from the HAL website quoted several times here says as much. And the current requirement for a test to board that you cite has been their policy for months.

2 hours ago, fabric_fabric said:

You are quoting two different policies. 

The original poster copied the rules for cruises embarking in Europe: no test to board the ship, but a test may be required to enter the country. 

You then posted the rules for cruises boarding in the USA and Canada: test required to board.

I do see the confusion if you are boarding a trans-Atlantic cruise in the USA and going to Europe, as the statements (depending on where you look) contradict.  But I think which rule applies is likely based on where you board, so a USA to Europe cruise would require a test to board, but a Europe to USA cruise would not.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Modern_Viking said:

You are quoting two different policies. 

The original poster copied the rules for cruises embarking in Europe: no test to board the ship, but a test may be required to enter the country. 

You then posted the rules for cruises boarding in the USA and Canada: test required to board.

I do see the confusion if you are boarding a trans-Atlantic cruise in the USA and going to Europe, as the statements (depending on where you look) contradict.  But I think which rule applies is likely based on where you board, so a USA to Europe cruise would require a test to board, but a Europe to USA cruise would not.

We are boarding in Europe ( Rome)  and as of today HAL states they require a test .

1 hour ago, opa&oma said:

We are boarding in Europe ( Rome)  and as of today HAL states they require a test .

Does one of the countries on your itinerary require a negative result from a pre-entry Covid test?  If not, I too am confused.

2 hours ago, opa&oma said:

Italy does not require a covid test to enter. I would call HAL again to double check. I know the Netherlands is not requiring a covid test to enter at this time. All of that could change in the future. 

image.thumb.png.e4e586359573b89ff78a2cc0437cd882.png

• Like 1

Just to add further to the confusion..........last night we booked a Med cruise for June, based on the FAQ on the HAL website which states that no testing is required by HAL.

However immediately after making our booking last night, I received the following email.....(underscore and bolding is mine)

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
Please be advised that all guests over 5 years of age on this voyage are
required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof at the
terminal prior to boarding the cruise. It must show that your final dose of
an approved vaccine was received at least 14 days prior to embarkation.
Boosters are encouraged for eligible guests at least 7 days before departure.
Guests must also provide a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR
or antigen test) taken within the guidelines at /hal_travelwell.
You will not be able to sail without proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Please note that the ability to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the
ports we visit and may depend on your vaccination date and booster status.
Please review all of our enhanced COVID-19 health Measures as outlined on our
website at https://hollandamerica.com/travelwell.

Edited by VMax1700
post was hidden!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Laminator said:

Italy does not require a covid test to enter. I would call HAL again to double check. I know the Netherlands is not requiring a covid test to enter at this time. All of that could change in the future. 

image.thumb.png.e4e586359573b89ff78a2cc0437cd882.png

It is HAL that is still requiring the test.  As of today.

Sorry but I am still a little confused and need advice.  I will be arriving at Vancouver from Miami on May 4 for a cruise leaving on May 7. I’m fully vaccinated but I assume I need a negative COVID test to be done in Vancouver. How do I find testing sites in Vancouver and are they costly?

4 minutes ago, Sandifer said:

Sorry but I am still a little confused and need advice.  I will be arriving at Vancouver from Miami on May 4 for a cruise leaving on May 7. I’m fully vaccinated but I assume I need a negative COVID test to be done in Vancouver. How do I find testing sites in Vancouver and are they costly?

Many testing sites in Vancouver. Several at the airport, YVR. The Canadian Cruiser forum will provide inside info.

I was told today by two different HAL agents that although my cruise embarks in Copenhagen, Denmark, which requires no test to enter, Holland still requires me to get a test before boarding.  I mentioned their own website says no test required for boarding ships in Europe but they said it was still required. And none of the countries we visit on this cruise require testing to enter.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bj24 said:

I was told today by two different HAL agents that although my cruise embarks in Copenhagen, Denmark, which requires no test to enter, Holland still requires me to get a test before boarding.  I mentioned their own website says no test required for boarding ships in Europe but they said it was still required. And none of the countries we visit on this cruise require testing to enter.  

It is beyond frustrating.  We are boarding in Copenhagen in May on NCL and they are requiring test prior to boarding even though Denmark and none of the other countries we are visiting are requiring. NCL says they will test us for 99 dollars at the pier. I'm also concerned with the information regarding boosters.  So much conflicting info out there.

• Like 1

After reading what in on HAL's website regarding European departures it appears to me that HAL may be giving tests at the pier. That is the only way you could have a positive test result on the "day" of embarkation. 

image.thumb.png.b39dbd788df70f6165cdd5fcc665cf84.png

I found this to be interesting. The US still requires a negative test to re-enter the country. According to HAL's PDF document they will provide that for you after disembarkation.

image.thumb.png.c05330117ef534bf80a616cdf317bd0f.png

Edited by Laminator
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

I found this to be interesting. The US still requires a negative test to re-enter the country. According to HAL's PDF document they will provide that for you after disembarkation.

image.thumb.png.c05330117ef534bf80a616cdf317bd0f.png

The US only requires a test if you are re-entering by land or air. Not by sea.

• Like 1