Carnival Cruise Line raises daily gratuities for passengers

Alphen

Effective May 1st 2022 Carnival Cruise Line will be increasing their daily gratuities from the current rate.

In a statement to currently booked passengers, Carnival Cruise Line said the following, “Our shipboard team members work hard to provide exceptional and friendly service, so we hope you will agree that this slight increase is well deserved.”

The new daily gratuity rate for Carnival will be as follows: standard staterooms will be expected to pay $14.50 per guest, per day. This is up from the $13.99 that was the previous daily gratuity rate. Guests staying in suite category staterooms will pay $16.50 per day, an increase from $15.99.

https://cruise.blog/2022/04/carnival-cruise-line-raises-daily-gratuities-passengers

• Like 1

We sailed on the Rotterdam on March 20th and the gratuities were $15.50 per day per person.

We are on the Equinox on June 12 and not sure but  I'm expecting 16 dollars a day per person.

Edited by MISTER 67

Hmm, but isn't HAL higher than that already?  I just got paid gratuities added to a future cruise during the latest "3 Day Sale" and I looked on HAL's site to see how much I was saving.  

Here's a screen shot of what is there:

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.02.01 AM.png

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are on the Equinox on June 12 and not sure but  I'm expecting 16 dollars a day per person.

If you booked the Equinox with AI (Always Included) your gratuities will be included in the fare. BTW we loved the Equinox last year.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

If you booked the Equinox with AI (Always Included) your gratuities will be included in the fare. BTW we loved the Equinox last year.

We don't drink much so don't do the All Included deals.

We have sailed on the Equinox twice before, we also love her, beautful ship.

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We don't drink much so don't do the All Included deals.

We have sailed on the Equinox twice before, we also love her, beautful ship.

We usually book Sky Suites and really prefer the wines by the glass in the Premium Drinks Package, we do not have to spend money on wines by the bottle anymore.   I need to stop commenting on Celebrity, so I do not get accused of hijacking this HAL thread LOL.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, timbom said:

Can't believe they charge this much.  It is self serve buffet no help with sitting or beverage and they only make up your room once a day.

It's not really that much. When you think of the hours that they put in, 7 days a week, and don't forget that money is spread around a whole bunch of people that work behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

There is always the option to adjust the amount.  You can give more, or less, or choose not to pay any tips at all. Just go to Guest Services and ask them to adjust your bill. Do this toward the end of the cruise.  Check on the night before you get off the ship and make sure the bill has been adjusted. It is a 'tip' after all, and the HAL amount is merely a suggestion. 

8 hours ago, timbom said:

Can't believe they charge this much.  It is self serve buffet no help with sitting or beverage and they only make up your room once a day.

Are you saying you only dine in the buffets, and not the main dining rooms? The little amount of gratuities are split among all the people who work serving you and help make your vacation a better experience up front, and behind the scenes. Have you ever stayed at a high end resort that charges up to $100 a night for a mandatory "resort fee" that covers amenities you may not use, but you have to pay for them anyway? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

There is always the option to adjust the amount.  You can give more, or less, or choose not to pay any tips at all. Just go to Guest Services and ask them to adjust your bill. Do this toward the end of the cruise.  Check on the night before you get off the ship and make sure the bill has been adjusted. It is a 'tip' after all, and the HAL amount is merely a suggestion. 

Wow, really are you advocating that people stiff the hardworking crew by removing the gratuities at the end of a cruise? Even with included gratuities in a cruise fare, we still leave extra cash for our room steward and waiters at then of a cruise, many of whom didn't work or get paid during Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Wow, really are you advocating that people stiff the hardworking crew by removing the gratuities at the end of a cruise? Even with included gratuities in a cruise fare, we still leave extra cash for our room steward and waiters at then of a cruise, many of whom didn't work or get paid during Covid.

I was explaining that the amount that HAL recommend is only a starting point. Some will want to adjust it. Some like to give more, some like to give less. I'm sorry you misunderstood. You are reading something into this post that just isn't there. I didn't suggest 'people stiff' anybody. 

Edited by BobbiSox
typo

I was only referring to the lack of service on Carnival demanding what is equal to Hollands tipping amount.  Was told when I saw my room steward that she had 42 rooms to do each day where she used to do 23 but wasn't making any more money.

What I hate is tipping more for less service.  We will probably never sail  Carnival again because of this lack of service and silly things like no table cloths in dining room and not ever changing the linen on a week long cruise

I think Carnival is adopting the a la carte model which probably suits their market - shorter, holiday cruises.  HAL has definitely opted the all in one price and those prices have gone up also.  Gone are the days of the $499 cruise on HAL.