Any guesses when/if Covid pre-testing will end?

Lyndihop

We’ve been vaxed, boosted. But, I’m still skeptical on the 3 day pre prior to boarding. 
I did put a refundable deposit on. mid February sailing. 
But, if the pre is still necessary, will most likely cancel before final. 

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The fly to the US protocols expire on April 18, we should be hearing something soon 

I thought the April 18th date was for masks on airplanes. Does it also include the testing to fly into the US? I hope so.

6 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I thought the April 18th date was for masks on airplanes. Does it also include the testing to fly into the US? I hope so.

It includes a slew of travel mandates.  Of course they could modify the current status, extend the current status or dismiss the current status.  Regardless we should read something before the 15th. 

17 hours ago, Lyndihop said:

…But, I’m still skeptical on the 3 day pre prior to boarding….

See this Thread. While a test is (currently) not required X amount of days prior to travel for European sailings, HAL will be providing complimentary tests at embarkation. So passengers in this case—for now—no longer have the expense of a medically-supervised test prior to the start of their trip, unless the country requires it. But they should expect to be tested (for free) by HAL at check-in.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2843811-message-from-hal-on-covid-tests-europe/

Edited by syesmar
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that Europe is testing at the pier. Most countries don't require vax travellers to show a test for entry. So, there's at least one test before boarding.

I don't see what the problem is. Pax should exercise all precautions for 2 weeks before boarding. It's a matter of personal responsibility. 🙄

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm glad that Europe is testing at the pier. Most countries don't require vax travellers to show a test for entry. So, there's at least one test before boarding.

I don't see what the problem is. Pax should exercise all precautions for 2 weeks before boarding. It's a matter of personal responsibility. 🙄

I agree--we should all be tested prior to boarding any ship.  Covid is still among us, and wishing it isn't doesn't make it eradicated.  We're on the Zuid. right now and most of us are wearing masks around the ship.  It's a matter of personal responsibility and frankly the right thing to do.  All crew wear KN95 masks all the time.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

HAL does not say they will be giving tests for European cruises. The only test they sat they will give is if you need a 24 hour one to fly home

Please see this Thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2843811-message-from-hal-on-covid-tests-europe/, especially the final line of this letter from HAL's Business Development Manager, “Holland America Line will be providing a complimentary COVID-19 antigen test to all guests before embarkation.” So at least in the case of this particular cruise, an embarkation test at HAL’s expense will be done.

Edited by syesmar

My take is until Covid deaths drop to zero please keep the vacination and mask rules.  Look what happened as soon as Europe dropped the mask rules for flying, cancled flights because crew infection numbers skyrocked

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, syesmar said:

While a test is (currently) not required X amount of days prior to travel for European sailings, HAL will be providing complimentary tests at embarkation. So passengers in this case—for now—no longer have the expense of a medically-supervised test prior to the start of their trip, unless the country requires it. But they should expect to be tested (for free) by HAL at check-in.

Just hope you don't get a false positive, and if so, HAL will redo the test to confirm.

17 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

My take is until Covid deaths drop to zero please keep the vacination and mask rules.  Look what happened as soon as Europe dropped the mask rules for flying, cancled flights because crew infection numbers skyrocked

Covid deaths will never drop to zero.  It is endemic and will remain so just like influenza and the common cold.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cap'nWoody said:

Covid deaths will never drop to zero.  It is endemic and will remain so just like influenza and the common cold.

I agree completely!  And I will not live the rest of my life wearing a mask.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

If you do test positive just prior to the cruise, and are denied boarding, do you get your money back? I just booked a 35 day cruise for 2024, but I went with the insurance they offer so I can cancel last minute. This is the first time we have went with the insurance, but I was worried about being denied boarding due to covid. 

To be honest you could cut up a calendar with a bunch of dates and pick one out of a hat and have as much success guessing as anyone else. It is so dynamic. If you asked 3-4 months ago if masks would be coming  off onboard I would have said no way. There is just no way to guess. 

That being said the emed home test is super easy. $150 for a pack of 6 and you can do it at home online. I usually do it in my pajamas first thing in the morning on the first day I am eligible so I have the maximum amount of time to retest if there is an issue. 

• Like 2