The Daily for Friday 04/08/2022

richwmn

Today is All is Ours Day, Draw a Picture of a Bird Day, and Zoo Lover’s Day

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.--Helen Keller

Meal Suggestion for today - Tiradito
Drink of the Day - Elderflower Margarita
Wine of the Day - Deep Down 2020 Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Destination of the Day - Tokyo, Japan

Ships With Passengers

Astoria, OR US

Koningsdam  

At Sea

Eurodam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, P
Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Cartagena Colombia
Rotterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay, Bah

Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 18:00

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Statendam  

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0408World.thumb.png.8599fb6d38c8e07dea9e95716a42aa72.png
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Love birds, but I'm a lousy artist. 

Love the quote.

I'm not sure what the meal is, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink is tasty and the wine is not too expensive.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'd like to think all is mine, but not always.  I love zoos but haven't been in years, and my drawing skills are negligible.  I love the Helen Keller quote.  I've been to Tokyo but it was many years ago with an interlude between flights.I have no idea what Tiradito is.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Iced Melon Bisque, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cramberry, and Triple Berry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam April 8, 2017:

dishes08.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Rowsby DH 4/1/22
Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo laid to rest
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Luvteaching DH recovering from stroke
Jam37 DH not feeling well despite negative covid tesgt
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Baseball back
Tiger in the Masters
Happy Birthday St. Louis Cruisers
Several 4th jabs
1 day for Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam 4/8 to 4/17)
3 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay
1 day for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10) and GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13)   at sea
A treatable diagnosis for dfish
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
6 years ago today I boarded the Koningsdam for her premier voyage. 🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

I think the last zoo I visited was the Cape May county zoo. It’s part of the park system and is free, with donations gladly accepted. It’s a great small zoo with an outstanding reputation.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 28

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 46°F.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

A good selection of days and excellent quote.

I'm not sure of today's food but the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc wine is an excellent choice.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Happy birthday to Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Screenshot_20220408_122117.jpg

Screenshot_20220408_122147.jpg

98A89CFC-4E2D-43FB-9727-12DBCD01770C.jpeg.fe4ce792e3b1f28a21a73e03e616a64e.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report, lists and recipes.  What a nice group of days, maybe I’ll try and draw a picture of a Robin, I love watching them hop around.  Helen Keller’s quote is a good reminder to be open to new opportunities.  I’ll have to wait to see what the meal suggestion is although tonight I’ll be making tuna noodle casserole.  The drink sounds very nice.  Today’s port is on our bucket list and I can’t wait to see the photos. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Happy birthday @StLouisCruisers and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.🎉🎈

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich. Sitting at the car dealership while my car receives some routine pampering. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Yesterday’s wild storms came through while I was at the gym. No tornados touched down, but every 30 minutes they updated the warning with another alert. Made for an interesting workout. Lots of close lightning and very loud thunder. I live just below the county line, and the severe storm never reached my neighborhood. Just a 5 mile distance made a huge difference.  Routine chores today, but the absent humidity will make it a lot more pleasant. 

A few smiles…

66A86519-80DC-4C7C-A015-0776BE334D27.jpeg.71d80905884ca0cac64bc1404be32f3b.jpeg

49F3111A-AC46-4A86-A9AD-588F7B24961D.jpeg.949e9cdb122e3e58950021eda20a2439.jpeg

45C4AEC3-B56E-4BB8-94FD-46BA9F76CFA0.jpeg.db13b30ac62e61d6e432f1288a9d1a15.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who need our support. Stay well everyone!

Deep Down 2020 Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)

Another lovely sounding New Zealand SB. One for my list - for sure. My local wine bistro actually uses “New Zealandy” as a descriptive term for other SB. A few online  distributors with prices starting at $17.99.

Winemaker Notes

This style of fermentation makes for a lower toned, less acidic Sauvignon Blanc that strays from the traditional, “loud” styles of other New Zealand wines. Gentle floral notes on the nose but on the palate there is an intense texture, with some of the typical New Zealand notes, slight grapefruit and grassy hints combined with citrus and more floral tones. True to its origins but with nuance, drinkability and flow.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast

This new label was co-founded by Clive Dougall, former longtime winemaker at acclaimed biodynamic estate, Seresin. This single vineyard project takes a more natural, minimal approach from the winemaking front. Pale gold in color, it smells of honey, fresh butter, damp hay, stones, waxy lemon, pineapple and wild flowers and herbs. The palate is long and textural, playing quite beautifully with the prickly acidity. Vintage ’59 Imports

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Fermented with indigenous yeasts and matured in a mix of older French puncheons (35%) and stainless steel (65%), the 2020 Sauvignon Blanc boasts hints of crushed graphite, stone fruit and mixed citrus on the nose. Fuller and richer in the mouth than many Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs, it hints at honeyed grapefruit, features a fine, silky mouthfeel, and it wraps up with a lithe, lingering grapefruit finish. It's a top-notch effort from Clive Dougall, former winemaker at Seresin Estate.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone.

It is a chilly but sunny start to the day here in northeast Ohio.   I'll take the sunny part.  Nothing planned today except the pool.

@StLouisCruisers  Happy Birthday!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.c39db623c74515fc3c7af854354ec7ad.jpg

Today's meal is for adventurous eaters.  I'm not going to fall in that category today.  It is truly raw fish with a sauce over it.  Instead of the smaller chunks of fish found in a ceviche, tiradito features large sashimi-style slices. In place of marinating the fish as one would for ceviche, tiradito calls for finishing it with a bright chili-citrus sauce at the last minute. This recipe features a classic leche de tigre sauce made from yellow aji amarillo chili peppers, ginger, garlic, fresh lime juice, and cilantro. As for the fish, use the best fresh, raw sashimi-grade fish you can find, whether it's the salmon and hamachi (yellowtail) pictured here, or fluke, corvina, etc.

https://www.seriouseats.com/peruvian-tiradito-with-aji-amarillo-and-lime

1550640718_tiradito1.thumb.jpg.44b414d8964c96ec6bdd187ebd94568e.jpg

Ok, it looks pretty, but I don't do raw fish.  Here's a version made with tuna.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tuna-tiradito-aji-amarillo-leche-de-tigre

1981728767_tiradito2.thumb.jpg.8da7b5bd3793b11dc1b0fc5a910fa74e.jpg

Very colorful is about the best I can say.    This next one looks more like a soup, but I'm still not having it.  https://food52.com/recipes/40046-peruvian-tiradito-de-pescado

1002610650_tiradito3.thumb.jpg.30d92d4318f2c491be9e2e921f4a4e42.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Happy Birthday @StLouisCruisers.I love zoo's, try to see one when they are available at ports.  Been to many on land, used to have a season pass at the Cleveland Zoo.  The quote is so true.  It's a hard no on the meal.  DH has been to Toyko many times on business but we've never been there on a cruise.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution and wear you mask.

Elderflower Margarita:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
1/2 part JDK & Sons™ Fleur Elderflower Liqueur
1/2 part Lime Juice

Instructions
Add all ingredients in mixing glass. Stir over ice and strain into a chilled glass.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 7.52.51 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

First things first: Happy Birthday  to Sandi and of course,her twin.Enjoy your day and celebrate  well.

The sun is out after days of rain and I had two very happy sniffing dogs on a walk earlier. We will pass on the recipe today as Veggie burgers are on the menu.If it remains dry, I will even use the outside grill for the first time this year.It is a sure sign of spring. 

The quote is excellent  and we have not been to Tokyo. 

I got this picture a few days ago and share it with the Daily family. I guess this is the Easter picture  of  Miss Camilla. 

7683.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.The sun is out and it’s going to be in the 60s today. I love the quote and love zoos although I haven’t been I. A long time. My two grandsons went recently to the famous San Diego zoo. 
Sam has rejoined the chorus at the senior center and I think that is going to be great for him.

Happy birthday, Sandi

Stay safe  everyone,Carol

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

First things first: Happy Birthday  to Sandi and of course,her twin.Enjoy your day and celebrate  well.

The sun is out after days of rain and I had two very happy sniffing dogs on a walk earlier. We will pass on the recipe today as Veggie burgers are on the menu.If it remains dry, I will even use the outside grill for the first time this year.It is a sure sign of spring. 

The quote is excellent  and we have not been to Tokyo. 

I got this picture a few days ago and share it with the Daily family. I guess this is the Easter picture  of  Miss Camilla. 

7683.jpeg

She just keeps getting so adorable.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Is there an equivalent to a "Staycation" for cruising? And lightening doesn't strike the same spot twice, right? We have had a crazy last two days with getting Sue and DSIL down to Ft. Lauderdale for their cruise on the Nieuw Statendam today.

A bit of a recap. Sue, DSIL and I were supposed to be on the Rotterdam this week. That was until SWA cancelled our flight for Saturday leaving us no alternative than to cancel the cruise. Skip ahead to Sue and DSIL now set five days later to cruise on the Nieuw Statendam starting today. I am staying home with Sam this time as the dogsitter is not available. So they booked flights on SWA to FLL - again. We could not believe that SWA cancelled their flight for Thursday this time as well! Wednesday evening Sue received an email about the cancellation. Jumped on the phone for a two-hour wait on hold to speak with a SWA rep. No luck but Sue was able to grab two of the last seats on a United flight from Dulles for Thursday evening. It required a bit of change in logistics.

They decided to ride our Virginia-sponsored Megabus to the airport rather than drive and park. Good thing as it was a very rainy day so it was a good day to ride the Valley Flyer.  All was well at the airport until the flight started to be delayed for departure. Finally boarded the full flight only to have the passengers disembark as it was to be further delayed. It left two hours late but they are now waiting for their boarding time this afternoon.

2054181029_0407221022_HDR2.thumb.jpg.cfaaf90e9cbb5651baa0d3ca3a6bafff.jpg

I always disliked traveling during April for business. I guess travel never changes.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5