What's with Bermuda?

36 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

But the OP implies that he would be prevented from getting on the boat on embarkation day if the fees are not paid.  That makes it sound like RCL is involved in the process.  No?

No, RCL is merely informing their customers of a mandate from a foreign government that will refuse to port a ship unless everyone on board is in compliance with their laws.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

FYI - Royal is NOT selling the test kits nor are they partnered or have anything to do with emed or optum.    Their website simply refers you to emed or optum to purchase test kits.    Anyone can buy these kits, not just cruisers.       

Yes, they are a great option I have 3 kits left to use on our next cruise.  

Actually, they are partnered with Optum, and you order through a link on RCL’s website.  When you get the tests there is even an RCL insert in the package explaining whet to do to complete the tests properly.

DC3F9D18-56BD-4237-8579-BD68A59FE3AE.jpeg

ECB482A3-047D-4CA7-87EE-84B4F78E9ADF.jpeg

54B133D1-CCBB-4310-9E4D-C5966DC430E8.png

17 minutes ago, orville99 said:

the passengers are not paying rcl, they are paying the Bermuda government directly.

Oh, I see - didn't understand it that way.  I thought the OP was saying RCI had to be paid.  So I guess RCI has a system to keep up with what has been paid to Bermuda by pax and since it must be paid before boarding, they control it that way.  Wow, what a mess!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Oh, I see - didn't understand it that way.  I thought the OP was saying RCI had to be paid.  So I guess RCI has a system to keep up with what has been paid to Bermuda by pax and since it must be paid before boarding, they control it that way.  Wow, what a mess!

Bermuda issues  a document to the passenger with the entry authorization dated within 30 days of the sail date, and RCL requires that it be presented at embarkation

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Bermuda issues  a document to the passenger with the entry authorization dated within 30 days of the sail date, and RCL requires that it be presented at embarkation

OK, that's better than what I was imagining.  My thoughts immediately went to the nightmare of  RCI's IT department having to implement this.

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Actually, they are partnered with Optum, and you order through a link on RCL’s website.  When you get the tests there is even an RCL insert in the package explaining whet to do to complete the tests properly.

DC3F9D18-56BD-4237-8579-BD68A59FE3AE.jpeg

ECB482A3-047D-4CA7-87EE-84B4F78E9ADF.jpeg

54B133D1-CCBB-4310-9E4D-C5966DC430E8.png

Other cruise lines refer them too.    They technically are Not "partnered" with Optum or emed in a financial way.    

The kits we ordered did not come with the Royal instruction sheet. 

16 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Royal has no control over the Bermuda Travel Authorisation.     Anyone traveling to Bermuda by air or sea must apply for this authorisation.      Royal will simply check that each passenger has received the proper authorisation when they check in at the cruise terminal.    Just like showing your passport, your vax card and your set sail pass - now you will show your Bermuda authorisation approval.   

• Like 2

Since Bermuda is requiring that all cruise ship passengers pay $40 for a travel authorization even if the passenger has no intention of getting off the ship does this mean that RCI has to pay $40 for each crew member as well? Interesting. We are booked on the May 12'th Adventure cruise as well, hopefully something will change before we sail.  

Several islands / countries had implemented this travel authorisation in the last 2 years.     Bahamas, Jamaica and I believe Aruba had it and Barbados still has it.   Not sure who else but most were charging $75 pp.    

IMO cruise passengers should pay less than travelers entering the country by plane as their fee of $40 covers a covid test at airport before leaving Bermuda, based on what I read on bermuda website. 

3 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

Since Bermuda is requiring that all cruise ship passengers pay $40 for a travel authorization even if the passenger has no intention of getting off the ship does this mean that RCI has to pay $40 for each crew member as well? Interesting. We are booked on the May 12'th Adventure cruise as well, hopefully something will change before we sail.  

No idea if they require crew but I doubt it since Royal has a couple ships making regular stops in Bermuda this summer.  

My guess is No, they probably will restrict crew from disembarking at port.   

Crew is already tested weekly onboard every ship so I suspect they will have to show their papers on how many crew/entertainers, etc. are positive onboard, just like they do at every other island before docking.

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They technically are Not "partnered" with Optum or emed in a financial way.    

I would put money on a wager that RCL is getting a % of the sale of each kit by Optum.

Just now, orville99 said:

I would put money on a wager that RCL is getting a % of the sale of each kit by Optum.

I doubt it.   If you go to the optum website thru the link provided by Royal or you google optum and buy a kit that way the price is exactly the same.

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I doubt it.   If you go to the optum website thru the link provided by Royal or you google optum and buy a kit that way the price is exactly the same.

Doesn't mean that Optum isn't giving a % back to RCL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As soon as saw the email the other week with Bermuda protocols we said to ourselves I bet royal will change the itineraries to avoid having to test everyone on board.     Wouldn't be surprised if those sailings on Mariner to Bermuda switch for arrival on day 2 or day 3 instead of day 5.

That is exactly what they did to the May 15 Mariner sailing.  On top of that, they didn’t bother to communicate the itinerary change for at least a month after they made it.  Never mentioned the additional $40 fee to Bermuda either until last week. Their communication leaves a lot to be desired.

5 hours ago, billdadm said:

We have a cruise booked on Adventure of the Seas on May 12th. Got a notice from RCL that because we stop at Bermuda for our 1st stop, we have to pay $40 each for a Travel Authorization for Bermuda, even if we're not getting off the ship. If we don't pay for that, we can't take the cruise. That on top of the $200 we have to pay for an Antigen test. What gives?

why do you have to pay $40 for the covid test, don't most insurer's cover it?

Just now, cruise1957 said:

why do you have to pay $40 for the covid test, don't most insurer's cover it?

It isn't for a covid test it is for an  entry permit to step off the ship in Bermuda.

3 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

That is exactly what they did to the May 15 Mariner sailing.  On top of that, they didn’t bother to communicate the itinerary change for at least a month after they made it.  Never mentioned the additional $40 fee to Bermuda either until last week. Their communication leaves a lot to be desired.

I wish they would change the order on the May 28th sailing but it doesn't look like they are

Just now, molly361 said:

I wish they would change the order on the May 28th sailing but it doesn't look like they are

We had a private tour booked, and our guide was confused because the Bermuda Port’s dates were different than Royal’s.  I called Royal to verify, and was assured their dates were correct!  Found out a month later Bermuda was correct.  Now, we don’t get into Bermuda until 6PM so our plans for that day can no longer happen.  It was an expensive cruise and we only booked cause we should have had 3 days with decent time in Bermuda.

We’re B2B with May 7.  Also found out last week the May 7 cruise will depart from CT#1 but will return to CT#5.  Pretty sure Royal still hasn’t told anyone that news.  I called the Port Authority and asked cause obviously, you can’t have two ships (Mariner and Harmony) at the same terminal on May 15.  Sheesh!  At least our Roll Call is aware.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

I believe it was April 1st that Bermuda announced their updated health protocols.   

Last summer they had some very strict protocols that prevented Royal from agreeing to sail out of Bermuda.

Royal has been trying their best to stick to their policy of notifying cruisers within 30-days of their cruise the protocols required for various countries.   

That should be a good thing they changed the itinerary around now you don't have to worry about taking a test while onboard and getting a positive result.   

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I believe it was April 1st that Bermuda announced their updated health protocols.   

Last summer they had some very strict protocols that prevented Royal from agreeing to sail out of Bermuda.

Royal has been trying their best to stick to their policy of notifying cruisers within 30-days of their cruise the protocols required for various countries.   

That should be a good thing they changed the itinerary around now you don't have to worry about taking a test while onboard and getting a positive result.   

Thanks, but we would have preferred to keep the time in Bermuda which is why we booked this specific cruise. To each is own I guess!  We have a few B3B’s and B4B’s coming up, so I think we will be taking lots of tests onboard in the future.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Several islands / countries had implemented this travel authorisation in the last 2 years.     Bahamas, Jamaica and I believe Aruba had it and Barbados still has it.   Not sure who else but most were charging $75 pp.    

IMO cruise passengers should pay less than travelers entering the country by plane as their fee of $40 covers a covid test at airport before leaving Bermuda, based on what I read on bermuda website. 

On my 12/01/21 Rotterdam trip, I did not have to pay Barbados any fee unless it was buried in HAL's fee/tax structure.

Jim

8 hours ago, billdadm said:

We have a cruise booked on Adventure of the Seas on May 12th. Got a notice from RCL that because we stop at Bermuda for our 1st stop, we have to pay $40 each for a Travel Authorization for Bermuda, even if we're not getting off the ship. If we don't pay for that, we can't take the cruise. That on top of the $200 we have to pay for an Antigen test. What gives?

We are also on this cruise. Yes it’s a costly  fee for the travel authorization, especially if you don’t even leave the ship. We are a family of 4, so to account for this extra $160 cost  we have budgeted to now spend less while onshore in Bermuda. For the required antigen test pre-embarkation, after taking a few cruises since Aug that’s become a routine cost for us. I hope you can find a less expensive option though, that sounds pretty high for an antigen test. We pay $20 each at Walmart (Ontario).  Can’t wait until this test is no longer required!