Port Arthur Info Needed

Does anyone know where Princess ships are anchored and where we are tendered to at Port Arthur?  I'm trying to find an independent tour, or transportation to the historic Port Arthur site from the port, and haven't been able to find anything yet.  It sounds like they have lots of interesting tours at the site, but I can't figure out how to get there!  TIA for any info you can share. 

6 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Does anyone know where Princess ships are anchored and where we are tendered to at Port Arthur?  I'm trying to find an independent tour, or transportation to the historic Port Arthur site from the port, and haven't been able to find anything yet.  It sounds like they have lots of interesting tours at the site, but I can't figure out how to get there!  TIA for any info you can share. 

If your ship is stopping at Port Arthur, the ship will anchor in the Port Arthur harbour and you will be tendered to the dock right at the Port Arthur historic site.

Port Arthur Historic Site Map - 

Port Arthur Map

If you look along the shoreline on the maps, you can see the dock.

Port Arthur is a really interesting place to visit. Hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  This is exactly the kind of information I needed!  Looks like we can walk right off the tender stop to the Port Arthur Historic Site.  Not being sure where we would tender made planning impossible.  So again, many thanks to both of you!

3 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Thanks!  This is exactly the kind of information I needed!  Looks like we can walk right off the tender stop to the Port Arthur Historic Site.  Not being sure where we would tender made planning impossible.  So again, many thanks to both of you!

No the tender site is IN the Port Arthur historic site, entry is covered by the cruise line. There will be guides there if you want a tour, or just wander around yourself, I strongly suggest the harbour cruise and the Isle of the Dead Tour, I have never done the Point Puer (Boys Prison) tour other than privately with Mrs G whose Thesis they use for much of the information I understand.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No the tender site is IN the Port Arthur historic site, entry is covered by the cruise line. There will be guides there if you want a tour, or just wander around yourself, I strongly suggest the harbour cruise and the Isle of the Dead Tour, I have never done the Point Puer (Boys Prison) tour other than privately with Mrs G whose Thesis they use for much of the information I understand.

So we don't have to pre-purchase entrance tickets in order to visit the site?

26 minutes ago, Cruisen Elf said:

So we don't have to pre-purchase entrance tickets in order to visit the site?

Nope, but I don’t recall if the harbour cruise, Isle of the dead (which is the cemetery and they tell you about some of those hurried there) and Point Puer (the Children’s prison) are extra, we haven’t done those for years, the last few visits we were driven straight to Point Puer so Mrs Gut could get done before the tours arrived.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:08 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

The Isle of the Dead is extra. We did it in Nov 2019 from Ruby Princess. Point Puer wasn't available, I have the feeling it was closed down.

By the way, it was freezing cold, so take some winter woolies.

I know they were doing work on Point Puer, but I think it has reopened, and wasn’t 100% if they were included or not.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:05 PM, GUT2407 said:

I know they were doing work on Point Puer, but I think it has reopened, and wasn’t 100% if they were included or not.

So to be clear , I'm coming in on Carnival . I do not need an excursion . I can book a guide or an extra tour if I wish ?

• 4 weeks later...

Once you get off the tender turn left for the historical area, straight ahead for visitors center, and turn right for a beautiful walk along the coast in an area filled with wildlife (at least it was in 2018). Area is so small you can easily do it all in 1 day. Don't forget to stay for the skit!!

20180305_222559_1_bestshot.thumb.jpg.99e162bb99be7f3087979da44b60b5cb.jpg20180305_222440.thumb.jpg.4487f884f5896bc59f21fdcc9c5e996f.jpg20180306_000831.thumb.jpg.c76486cbe682feffd9df4adaf6f860f3.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not sure you can really do it all in one day and do it thoroughly we have been there probably 10 or 12 times and find something new each visit 

That's the best kind of place!  It's like reading a good book over and over again, and always discovering something new.