Anybody else have scissors confiscated going thru x-ray at embarkation?

rwilk1129

Stupid things...

Do you recall when they had the muster drill under the lifeboats, before they were checking ANYONE'S S&S card for attendance, and they'd walk by the huddled masses and say "the count" was in progress, while someone with a clicker/counter appeared to be looking at everyone and was clicking away. What a farce - to imply that it was somehow official. I can't tell you how many times we skipped that ridiculous stuff in the past. WHEW, I'm glad we didn't have a true emergency, otherwise we would have been clueless, LOL  😉

Other lines have been logging in peoples cards for years. Carnival was the follower, to be sure.

I don't ever see it going back to the drills of past. Well, if ANYONE does, it would be Carnival!

Tom

On 4/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, rwilk1129 said:

On our recent cruise on Pride they stopped my carryon after X-ray and asked me to open it. I had my wine in it so thought they wanted to check and make sure it wasn't other alcohol. That isn't what they wanted to see. I also had 2 toiletry bags with small scissors. They confiscated both pairs of scissors. These scissors have traveled with me on 106 cruises without a problem. Is this something new? They said I could claim them when I disembarked but I have heard from others who were directed multiple places and never got their confiscated items back. 

I really liked those scissors, little fold up kind. My deceased mother in law gave them to me. Can't understand what they thought I would do with them. Carnival gives me big steak knives onboard and trusts me with them.

We cruised many times with my small moustache scissors in my carry on toiletry bag that had my meds and necessities.  On our Oct cruise out of Miami, they stopped me at the check in after the bag went through the scanner.  They wanted my backpack, yes to take the scissors away.  A joke in my opinion but going forward I pack them in the suitcase.

Maybe they should have tracking devices on the steak knives that are abound the ship and other knifes.

Not the less, I thught this was very peddy, but will move on.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, rwilk1129 said:

On our recent cruise on Pride they stopped my carryon after X-ray and asked me to open it. I had my wine in it so thought they wanted to check and make sure it wasn't other alcohol. That isn't what they wanted to see. I also had 2 toiletry bags with small scissors. They confiscated both pairs of scissors. These scissors have traveled with me on 106 cruises without a problem. Is this something new? They said I could claim them when I disembarked but I have heard from others who were directed multiple places and never got their confiscated items back. 

I really liked those scissors, little fold up kind. My deceased mother in law gave them to me. Can't understand what they thought I would do with them. Carnival gives me big steak knives onboard and trusts me with them.

However, they have steak knives onboard. Hmmmmmm

Thankfully a topic popped up a couple months ago noting that the policy changed on pocket knives and they were now all forbidden.  Had my Swiss Army knife I have owned for 25 years that has been on dozens of cruises got confiscated it would have made for a poor start to the vacation.

Silly, considering I can get a fixed blade knife at will anytime on the ship.

22 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Thankfully a topic popped up a couple months ago noting that the policy changed on pocket knives and they were now all forbidden.  Had my Swiss Army knife I have owned for 25 years that has been on dozens of cruises got confiscated it would have made for a poor start to the vacation.

Silly, considering I can get a fixed blade knife at will anytime on the ship.

Damn sure is! I've carried a pocket knife with me on all of my cruises, the latest being last August on the Vista, and breezed right through security. I had it in my pocket both times. I wonder why this draconian change in policy?

5 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Years ago I had scissors confiscated by a very rude security woman even though the blades were an accepted length. I now carry the list of accepted items

The thing is, the current prohibited items list states "scissors" - no exception based on blade length that I see. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

The thing is, the current prohibited items list states "scissors" - no exception based on blade length that I see. 

Right, scissors have been added to Carnival’s list of prohibited items, apparently regardless of length. Do we really think Carnival meant to include 2” manicure scissors? Or do we think that whoever wrote up the new list simply “never thought it through?” And what about knitting needles, a pencil, etc.? We could make up a list that includes many more items that could cause damage. 

10 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Right, scissors have been added to Carnival’s list of prohibited items, apparently regardless of length. Do we really think Carnival meant to include 2” manicure scissors? Or do we think that whoever wrote up the new list simply “never thought it through?” And what about knitting needles, a pencil, etc.? We could make up a list that includes many more items that could cause damage. 

I've seen some (old style) fountain pens which looked rather lethal !!! 

Tom

1 hour ago, iamsteph said:

May have changed  - this was about 10 years ago. Used to be able to carry on if blade was less than 4 inches.  I do have a pair of very small folding scissors I carry now that I have never had a problem with even on planes

I'll add that they let us take a corkscrew, but not if it has the 1/2" knife blade to cut the foil. It is surprisingly pretty hard to find a corkscrew without one. So now we just call room service to give us one right after muster.

We were on the Pride a month ago. I had left a small folding pocket knife in our checked bag. While I was unpacking I found it in the front outer pocket of the suitcase. Checked baggage must not be scrutinized as much as carry on. The knife did come in extremely handy when opening something we bought at the gift shop that was bubble packed in that indestructible plastic. 

1 hour ago, SCBarker said:

I'll add that they let us take a corkscrew, but not if it has the 1/2" knife blade to cut the foil. It is surprisingly pretty hard to find a corkscrew without one. So now we just call room service to give us one right after muster.

On the Freedom last year we brought on two bottles of wine. We finally were able to get room service to bring us a corkscrew (minutes before sail away). He was waiting at the door for me to use it, and wanted me to then give it right back to him. We're talking about the ultra cheap white/branded plastic handle type (with BENT screw). I told him, no, I'm going to keep this for our other bottle later in the cruise, and if that was a problem to have guest services get in touch with me. I pretty much had to close the door on him. Very odd situation. It reminded me of my ONE cruise on the Regal Empress (before it was scrapped) - I had to go to the purser to get a pen to fill out the customs card, and they were sweating bullets that I wouldn't give it back, I had to use it right there.

Tom