Anybody else have scissors confiscated going thru x-ray at embarkation?

rwilk1129

On our recent cruise on Pride they stopped my carryon after X-ray and asked me to open it. I had my wine in it so thought they wanted to check and make sure it wasn't other alcohol. That isn't what they wanted to see. I also had 2 toiletry bags with small scissors. They confiscated both pairs of scissors. These scissors have traveled with me on 106 cruises without a problem. Is this something new? They said I could claim them when I disembarked but I have heard from others who were directed multiple places and never got their confiscated items back. 

I really liked those scissors, little fold up kind. My deceased mother in law gave them to me. Can't understand what they thought I would do with them. Carnival gives me big steak knives onboard and trusts me with them.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rwilk1129 said:

I also had 2 toiletry bags with small scissors.

They confiscated both pairs of scissors.

These scissors have traveled with me on 106 cruises without a problem.

Is this something new?

Security paranoia?    - thanks to binLaden and 9/11

-the fallout from that is still coming down

47 minutes ago, rwilk1129 said:

On our recent cruise on Pride they stopped my carryon after X-ray and asked me to open it. I had my wine in it so thought they wanted to check and make sure it wasn't other alcohol. That isn't what they wanted to see. I also had 2 toiletry bags with small scissors. They confiscated both pairs of scissors. These scissors have traveled with me on 106 cruises without a problem. Is this something new? They said I could claim them when I disembarked but I have heard from others who were directed multiple places and never got their confiscated items back. 

I really liked those scissors, little fold up kind. My deceased mother in law gave them to me. Can't understand what they thought I would do with them. Carnival gives me big steak knives onboard and trusts me with them.

I wonder if you and I had the same security guy at Port of Tampa. My story is very similar. When he pulled my bag aside he said that there was a big pair of scissors on top of my bottle of wine. After searching my carryon and not finding any scissors, he then rifled through my cosmetic bag and came upon my 2&1/2” manicure scissors, held them in the air and said “these are not allowed.” He seemed very pleased with himself. It never occurred to me he was searching for my manicure scissors. 

• Like 1

I took a small 2" pair of scissors with me last month and they didn't get confiscated. Maybe I just got lucky because I cram a lot of stuff in my toiletry bag so maybe they didn't show up as scissors on the x-ray. 

4 hours ago, rwilk1129 said:

Have carried scissors in my checked luggage for the last 5 years with no problem. Last times were this past December and this past February. TSA confiscated a small pocket knife from my carry on a few years back.

Edited by skrufy
Correction

I always have small scissors packed in my carry on.  I do my carnival luggage tags the night before the cruise, in the hotel.  Have my paper tags, some clear packaging tape & the scissors.  Every cruise so far that I haven't taken from my home port - which is most of them.  Never been taken from me - I hope this isn't a new thing.

A few months ago I had small scissors confiscated from my carryon.  Those same scissors had been on many cruises prior to that one with no problem.  Now I try to find a safe place in my checked bag.  Between the folds of a microfiber beach towel resulted in a surprise on the beach, though, so I won’t try that hiding place agaain.

We were on  carnival cruise out of Tampa when the guy said we had pliers. Another guy went digging through our bag, it was my husband’s nail clipper which was in his shaving kit. They let us go. They told us to move over to another table to pack everything back up.

12 hours ago, cellfree said:

I wonder if you and I had the same security guy at Port of Tampa.

He then rifled through my cosmetic bag and came upon

my 2&1/2” manicure scissors,  ===> OMG the horror! lol

held them in the air and said “these are not allowed.”

He seemed very pleased with himself.

Over-zealous twit: sometimes they get like that.

Maybe he's new...

I'm so sick of this stuff that just makes travel unpleasant,

and it's not getting any better.

Air Travel is just a sucky nightmare these days.......

Cruise travel is doing their best to catch up?

It's beyond stupid - and always has been. You'd think that Carnival offers them a finder's fee or such, as gung-ho as some of these people are.

I recall once we had a small/white plastic handle corkscrew which Carnival used to pack in the gift fruit/wine baskets. It was from a prior sailing and we forgot it was in a side pocket of our carry on. Well, it was spotted and quickly confiscated. Not ten minutes later we arrived in our cabin and, lo and behold, guess what was waiting there for us... yep, another gift basket with wine/corkscrew!

The is from a sailing in December (it's not just Carnival playing this game) - our suitcase didn't show up at our cabin, and all the suitcase delivery had ceased. I called and found that we had to make a trek to the naughty room. Turns out they though my shoehorn was a KNIFE... geesh...

i-3XmrPkD-X2.jpg

Tom

• Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The is from a sailing in December (it's not just Carnival playing this game) - our suitcase didn't show up at our cabin, and all the suitcase delivery had ceased. I called and found that we had to make a trek to the naughty room. Turns out they though my shoehorn was a KNIFE... geesh...

Tom

Well Tom, if you were James Bond you could do a lot of damage with a shoehorn 🤣

I sailed on the Horizon from Miami in November 2021 and was pulled over by a young, stern, male Security employee who stopped the conveyor belt and asked me why I had 2" scissors in my cosmetic bag.  I told him that I used them to cut my bangs and he hesitated for a second then threw both of his arms in the air and let me go through.  I usually pack my cosmetic bag in my checked luggage but forgot at the last minute and put it in my carry-on.

Carnival has gone from counting the soda cans you bring on board to confiscating 2" scissors.  I can understand the scrutiny but cannot understand the attitude and loud voice which drew attention from other cruisers near us. 

I'm sailing again in two weeks and will be certain to pack the cosmetic bag in my checked luggage wrapped in socks and stuffed into my sneakers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tattoos said:

…but cannot understand the attitude and loud voice which drew attention from other cruisers near us. 

Agree. Guy I had was quite rude. And the line was held up forever during the “search!”

This is always annoying as I have a member of our group that requires a medical need for scissors to apply an external appliance that to be “cut to shape”.  Going through Special Needs beforehand and the “routine explanation” at check-in eases the frustration a little which I suppose is necessary in the greater interest of safety.  Next will be nail clippers… those things, if not used carefully, could take off a toe!  LOL

Carried a medical kit w/scissors in carry on bag in New Orleans. Went through security with no problem. Carried same kit through Miami and was pulled to the side. Lady said you have scissors. I said yes, they are in the medical kit. Took the kit out and showed her. Told her they went through N. O. On the Valor with no problem. She thought a moment, closed my bag and said have a nice cruise. I said thank you.

Well this is dumb.  I have a pair of little foldable metal scissors that I take with me (about an inch long when folded).  I took them with me on October and February out of Baltimore and planned to in June, but maybe I'll leave them at home now.

I actually got them from an arts and crafts project years ago on... a Carnival cruise!  You made a Carnival-themed holder for the scissors too.   

Galveston is the biggest offender in this stuff. 1 was pulled to the side and they scrutinized her nail kit (ending with her tossing her tiny nail scissors, no bigger than in a travel sewing kit) more than our cases of sparkling water and bottles of wine. And trust, those were scrutinized as well.

"I always bring this ____ , or I have this in my checked baggage _____ ."  Not anymore. 

Check the updated FAQ Page from Carnival here: https://www.carnival.com/help/3583 and be surprised like I was when my Swiss Army Travel Knife that doesn't have a blade, but has tiny scissors was taken from me at check-in.  
 If you haven't cruised post-Covid there are some new rules, so here they are. 

Prohibited Items

Knives, scissors and open razors. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

Edited by BallFour4