Do you like HAL production shows compared to other lines?

zhuangcorp

Hi there, I booked a 7 night cruise with HAL on the Koningsdam. This is my first cruise and I'm excited for it. However, I'm wondering if I might feel let down about the production shows of HAL vs the other lines. 

It seems other lines like Royal and Norwegian have broadway-style shows, which is really fun and lively. HAL shows seem a lot more formal and toned down. 

Do you like the HAL production shows compared to other lines??

4 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Hi there, I booked a 7 night cruise with HAL on the Koningsdam. This is my first cruise and I'm excited for it. However, I'm wondering if I might feel let down about the production shows of HAL vs the other lines. 

It seems other lines like Royal and Norwegian have broadway-style shows, which is really fun and lively. HAL shows seem a lot more formal and toned down. 

We sailed on the Dawn in December.  Their shows beat HAL in our opinion. 

• Like 4

We got off the Koningsdam last Sunday.  The four shows in the World Stage are by the Step One dance company, all with a different theme.  Our favorite was Off the Charts which also included the duo from Billboard on Board and the female singer from BB King Blues Club.  The music, as the name implies, covers top billboard hits from the 1950s through today, and the dancing is more like what you would get in a regular production show.  The other three shows vary in the type of dancing including some ballet and modern dances.

The other three nights of the cruise included The Origin Story, an interesting history of Holland America.  This was on the first evening.  There is a BBC show accompanied by the musicians from Lincoln Center Stage, and one night, a movie is shown in the showroom.

I agree with @Crazy For Cats that other cruise lines have better production shows.  I wish HAL would bring back the former versions of their production shows.

• Like 10

We just got off the Disney Wonder and thoroughly enjoyed the three stage productions: Frozen, Golden Mickeys and Disney Dreams. Huge  plus compared to HAL was that music didn’t make your ears bleed. We have stopped attended the HAL productions shows due to the in really high level of the music. People have been complain for almost 5 years and nothing has changed. 

I am not sure if they have the sound level so high due to seniors who are hard of hearing or they think that is thevnoise level that young people enjoy. If so, I believe they are mistaken as we had lots of young adults and 20-40 year olds in the audience on the Disney Wonder. Also, Disney didn’t have the same shows on every ship.

• Like 1

Sadly this is an area  that HAL falls to the bottom, they want people to be out and about spending money on board but the fall short actually they bottom out. That is why HAL is know as the cruise line that people go to bed right have dinner.....because there is nothing to do....but yes they have the Music Walk on the newer ships. Yes, those are great and yes, most of the time the entertainers are good but ALL of these venues are way too small. Even on the Signature Class ship it holds far less passengers than the World Stage theater. People get discouraged when they want to go to some of the Music Walk entertainment and see that the venue is packed and no where to sit. Forget even seeing the comedian that performs prior to BB King. It is almost as if doing all this was an after thought to make up for the lack luster shows in the main theater. Having sailed many HAL cruises we felt we were boring and acting old since all we would do is after early dinner go back to our stateroom to read. But our last cruise was on the NCL Bliss, that was not the case. I got very little reading done and we were going to shows every night and having a blast and spending far more money on board. Maybe if HAL upted the game in the entertainment area they would get more people out and about spending money.  Kind of like the movie Field of Dreams...Built and they will come. Sadly I do not see that with the currently Holland America happening anytime in the near future.

• Like 10

Not HAL’ s strong suit but has it ever been?   I came to HAL after sailing on Norwegian for years , I considered it a trade off I was willing to make.   In my “youth” we really loved the nightclub scene on NCL.  Norwegian has a wonderful variety of entertainment, HAL has  a mellower ambience with better service, IMHO.   

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

You are traveling on the Koningsdam and the Step One dancers are amazing.  If you like music and dance and surrounding graphics you should enjoy the shows.  Sit in the middle and up toward the back of the theater so that you can take in the graphics that surround you.  Step One is a professional dance group.  BBKing is also a group of professional musicians.  The Origin Story is a well produced history of not only Holland America but world history through those years of immigration from Europe and the cruise industry during war times.  BBC Earth is a beautiful nature movie with live music,  Some people really like it.  HAL may show a movie on the stage one night.  I call it “Hal’s night off”.  You can also watch movies in your room.  

The Koningsdam is a very nice ship, easy to get around, with a great staff and crew.  If your cruise is in Alaska any entertainment on any ship will come second to the beauty of Alaska.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

NO!

• Like 4

From our experience, HAL had the worst entertainment options of any cruise we have taken in the last 20 years. That said, we cruise primarily for the itinerary and ports and not the onboard experience, and itinerary options is HAL’s strong point. If top-notch entertainment and constant activities is what you are looking for, HAL is probably not for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well I'm a little disappointed to hear that. But the lines that sail out of SoCal where I live are HAL, Norwegian, Princess, Royal, and Carnival. 

I'd like to try each one of them over the next several years I suppose. 

• Like 1

The short answer to your question may depend on the ship on which you sail.

World Stage on the Pinnacle Class ships with this "dance company" was the most disappointing "entertainment" that I have experienced on a ship.  The poor use of the much pre-building of the Class ballyhooing of the World Stage made me expect much, much more than I experienced.  

HAL can do and has done better.  A 4 male singing group called Cantare has been booked and is stellar.  The Westerdam had a Country and Western Show that was really enjoyable.  

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

The Origin Story is a well produced history of not only Holland America but world history through those years of immigration from Europe and the cruise industry during war times.  BBC Earth is a beautiful nature movie with live music,

These are programs worth attending.  BBC Earth, only during one performance do I recall live music.  Others performances, I heard canned music.  

The recently developed concept of "Music Walk" is an improvement.  But!  The quality of the performers have much to do with one's enjoyment of what I experience.  Performances in the Rolling Stone Rock Room were great.  But, the group's playlist didn't change much from night to night.  Billboard on Board:  the quality and how compatible the two performers' voices are makes a difference.  BB King's groups have been the most consistently good in my experience.  Lincoln Center Stage:  I enjoy such music, but, for me, there has been something lost from the previous such groups that have performed in the past.  

Live music in the Ocean Bar?  No more.  Music, maybe a single solo performer in the Crow's Nest?  No more.  Music and dancing in the Crow's Nest on some of the ships?  Extinct.  

Oh, I guess I can retreat to my stateroom this evening and enjoy whatever entertainment is available on my interactive TV.  If such is available.  

One does not choose to sail on a HAL cruise for the evening entertainment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

alright, what does one choose to said on HAL for?

The crew.  They help to supply a "welcome home" atmosphere that is something that I enjoy as well as thousands of other Mariners.  Their service is excellent.  The ease of getting around the ship, other than the Nieuw Statendam whose art I care for not, the art and decor, the Crow's Nest, the design of the staterooms, the Greenhouse Spa's Hydrothermal Pool and Thermal Suite, the small amenities such as the snacks that have been offered (sometimes need to be requested) during Happy Hour, and long cruise itineraries that offer new experiences and sometimes include culinary MDR experiences for the guest.  Example:  a MDR menu offering Filet of Kangaroo when sailing in Australian waters.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The whole Step One Dance Company thing really doesn't do anything for me. Neither does the nature documentary with classical music played over it. That being said I absolutely love the EXC talks as well as the Music Walk to the point that i honestly don't feel like I am missing out on the production shows. The comedians and/or magicians they bring on can also be very good but it really is all a matter of taste and personal preference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

Music Walk has usurped the World Stage.  Passengers are still trying to figure this out.

Yeah, I am not sure of the world stage myself.   The stage is too vast for many of the presentations done in that room and the multimedia experience does not entertain me.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If you want a good cruise with great itinerary and fantastic crew then go HAL.  If you want a broadway show, then go to Broadway (or anywhere else except HAL)

I don't really understand the "great itinerary" comment. My HAL cruise will stop at 3 cities in Mexico. All other cruise lines such as Norwegian, Royal, Carnival, Princess all stop at the exact same 3 cities in Mexico. How is the itinerary superior in any way?

Yes I probably prefer the Broadway style theatre, but for our first cruise I will try to just enjoy whatever show HAL puts on. 

17 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

alright, what does one choose to said on HAL for?

That’s a good question. We have sailed HAL 5 times. The ships are beautiful, well decorated and the crew are generally very welcoming although sometimes it can be difficult to understand them. Their itineraries are quite imaginative however the food is much less interesting these days and the entertainment is dire. However HAL has a legion of supporters who won’t hear anything bad about the line. If it is nightlife you seek, I would choose another line. We have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I don't really understand the "great itinerary" comment. My HAL cruise will stop at 3 cities in Mexico. All other cruise lines such as Norwegian, Royal, Carnival, Princess all stop at the exact same 3 cities in Mexico. How is the itinerary superior in any way?

On seven night cruises in the Caribbean or to the Mexican Rivera, I see no advantages to HAL itineraries.  But, if you like longer cruises to different parts of the world, that is where HAL shines.

I agree with most of the entertainment posts.  The Broadway style shows are long gone.  But we have enjoyed many of the music walk venues, depending on the performers.  In general we have seen the most consistency from BB Kings. The first time we saw Billboard Online, one of the piano players had recently come off a stint on Broadway where he was one of the stars of a Broadway musical.  He never mentioned the role, but he was so good that I had to Google him after the trip.

Lately we have had a few comedians.  Some were excellent, and others less so.  Unfortunately they played mostly in smaller venues.  Worked during the 30-40% capacity cruises, but will not work with a full ship.

• Like 2