Which European itinerary would you choose?

OfTheSeasCruiser

Hey everyone! Looking to get some opinions on some cruise options for next June. I have 3 options, and I'm a bit torn!

Option 1: Celebrity Edge

Departing Rome and visiting Portofino, Ajaccio, La Spezia, Cannes, and Palma and ending in Barcelona.

We'd stay 2 nights in Rome before the cruise and 2 nights in Barcelona after the cruise.

Option 2: Celebrity Reflection

Departing Barcelona and visiting Marseille, Nice, Santa Margherita, La Spezia (Overnight), Sicily, and Naples and ending in Rome.

We'd only be able to stay 1 night in Barcelona before the cruise and 1 night in Rome after the cruise.

Option 3: Brilliance of the Seas

Departing Barcelona and visiting Cannes, Nice, Genoa, Portofino, and Livorno and ending in Rome

We'd stay 2 nights in Barcelona before the cruise and 2 nights in Rome after the cruise.

Our priorities are some to see Barcelona and Rome, some French Riviera ports as well as the ability to visit both Florence and Cinque Terre or Portofino on different days. I love the Reflection itinerary, but we'd have less time to spend in Barcelona and Rome before/after the cruise. Also love the idea of the Edge, but worried the itinerary is lacking a bit. Brilliance seems to offer the best of both worlds based on itinerary, but I had wanted to stick with Celebrity. What are your thoughts? 🙂

If you have never been to Barcelona or Rome, you really need to spend at least a few nights at each.  I wish we had stayed an additional night in Rome, but we did get to see ALL the major sites while there.  We sailed the Connie out of Rome for 10 days to Barcelona.  I agree with you, I do like your itinerary for the Reflection, but not the one night at each end.  (Unless you have plans to do a separate cruise later and spend more time in Rome and Barcelona.). That's a tough one....

We just went through a similar decision making process and chose that same Reflection itinerary. We docked at La Spezia on a prior Med cruise and didn’t really feel there was time to go to Florence. We ended up going to the Cinque Terra on our own and had a fantastic day. The great thing about the La Spezia overnight is that you can do the Cinque Terre one day and Florence the other. That’s what we’re planning to do. Our last Med cruise started in Barcelona, so we’ll probably fly in the day before the cruise starts. Last time we arranged a private tour the day we arrived, and the guide picked us up at the airport. It was a great way to see a lot of the city… And stay awake as long as possible!

We haven’t decided yet whether we’ll spend an extra day in Rome or fly straight home after the cruise. We did a private tour there on our last Med cruise and saw a ton for one day. 

Edited by LisaLisa87

We have cruised out of Barcelona only once before and flew in a day early.  In hindsight it was not early enough.  There are so many things to do and see in Barcelona that two or three days pre or post cruise is what we will attempt if we sail from there again. 

Reflection itinerary as ports you can do so much from. Naples you gave choice of Amalfi coast / Pompeii / Capri - all beautiful. Santa Margherita you can get the boat round to Portofino (which is only way to arrive there!).  Nice is stunning to walk around & one choice u have is to get train to Monaco (great train service along the french coast as well to say Cannes / Antibes). 1 night each in Rome / Barcelona not enough - maybe decide to do 2 nights in one or the other (Rome is stunning) hope that helps

I agree with staying at least 2N’s in Barcelona. My favorite Med city. Fantastic. 

And I’d lean towards Edge because I Loved the ship, and although only one day avail for Florence, we did the On Our Own, got tickets to the Museums we wanted on line prior and it worked out great. Obviously one day in Florence isn’t enough, but unless you plan on doing an overnight there, you won’t be spending more time there anyway. 

I’ve been to Florence 4-5 times, and it’s Never enough! The same with Barcelona. I’ll leave Roma out of it because unless you don’t go Euro cruising in the Med ever again, you’ll be there again….and again. 

Good luck. All good choices. 

Den

I think the ship experience between Celebrity and Brilliance is sufficient to make up for any small differences in itinerary.  And don't forget--ports get shut down all of the time.  It happened to me just this month when Monte Carlo was cancelled.  I would go with Celebrity Reflection (partly because I prefer the real balconies) but you can't go wrong with either Celebrity ship.

We have been to all the ports mention for your three choices.  So, my choice would be Option 1 because all of the ports are unique.  I loved each and every one, but Palma de Mallorca was one of my favorite places in Spain because of the tour we took to the other side of the island; the terrain was amazing and so beautiful.  Actually, I definitely want to return.  Celebrity hands down!

In Barcelona, take an early private tour to Montserrat....gorgeous!  The right tour always makes a huge difference, not to mention wonderful memories and quality time instead of large groups and rushing around, but seeing very little.

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks all! Your feedback was extremely helpful. I think we are going to go with the 9 night itinerary on the Reflection. We’re going to do 2 nights in Barcelona at the beginning and save Rome for another trip, as we have plans to do a land-based trip to Italy with family in a few years. The overnight in La Spezia, plus two days in the French Riviera, plus Sicily and Naples was too good to pass up. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Thanks all! Your feedback was extremely helpful. I think we are going to go with the 9 night itinerary on the Reflection. We’re going to do 2 nights in Barcelona at the beginning and save Rome for another trip, as we have plans to do a land-based trip to Italy with family in a few years. The overnight in La Spezia, plus two days in the French Riviera, plus Sicily and Naples was too good to pass up. 

You definitely made the right decision!  Wish you a FANTASTIC cruise!!

I love the fact that you are already planning on returning...Europe is amazing!  Cinque Terre is best visited in three days, but maybe you will return.  The hiking is gorgeous.  Enjoy!

Edited by Lastdance