Alaska cruise: If I don’t get off the ship in Victoria, do I still need ArriveCan?

CruiseMark

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If we don't need a PCR before flying into Canada why do we need one to leave it (on the ship)? Because if this were a USA cruise only we wouldn't need one - is that right? Hopefully by July they will give up on that!x ?? 

Because Canada says so. And since you are governed by Canadian laws when you are in Canada- you need to have the test. And in fact, most cruise ships still require a negative test within X days.

As far as ArriveCAN- I think it needs to be completed before boarding the cruise ship- even if that is more than 72 hours before arriving in Canada. So you don't need to spend your limited time in a port doing it- in fact, I don't think you can board without the ArriveCAN approval. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Wait, what did I miss?! As of yesterday, Canada required a negative covid test dated 2 days or less from your cruise embarkment. Yes, a negative covid test is a NCL requirement, but it is also a Canada requirement for all cruise ships docking at their ports.

I was just on the ArriveCan website.  It states, as of April 25th, if you are fully vaccinated, no negative covid test is required.  Where did you read this??  

11 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Just found where it does state that you must have a negative covid test to embark on a cruise from Canada.  Rather redundant, as the cruise lines are already requiring this.  🤣

I was told that is why they dropped the requirement on the ArriveCAN app. Since the ships were all ready requiring it, they simplified the app to remove having to upload your test results.

• Like 1

just had a chat with Celebrity--so here's the important bit

4QzGNFUjvEpYMXGQC5RBj6IOb1frCj23-concierge?1481661846565
Please allow a moment while I look into the details for you

So as of now, ArriveCan is not required for your sailing. So far we have only notified those sailings up until May 3rd. But if anything changes you will receive an email from us requiring you to fill out all requested information fully from ArriveCan. Even if you are not planning on getting down. All guests must fill out that information before arriving to the pier.

thanks!

Michelle
I understand! It was my pleasure!

I hope you enjoy your sailing! If you have any other questions, please feel free to message us again.

Thank you for using the Celebrity Cruises web chat. I hope you have a wonderful day!

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I was told that is why they dropped the requirement on the ArriveCAN app. Since the ships were all ready requiring it, they simplified the app to remove having to upload your test results.

Except not EVERYONE going to Canada is going to cruise. 

2 hours ago, Baxterbunnymom said:

just had a chat with Celebrity--so here's the important bit

Please allow a moment while I look into the details for you

So as of now, ArriveCan is not required for your sailing. So far we have only notified those sailings up until May 3rd. But if anything changes you will receive an email from us requiring you to fill out all requested information fully from ArriveCan. Even if you are not planning on getting down. All guests must fill out that information before arriving to the pier.

thanks!

Michelle
I understand! It was my pleasure!

I hope you enjoy your sailing! If you have any other questions, please feel free to message us again.

Thank you for using the Celebrity Cruises web chat. I hope you have a wonderful day!

That is very odd since this is what is posted on the Canadian Gov website:

Before boarding your cruise ship: all travellers must submit their embarkation test information into ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding a cruise, including Canadians and those who just used ArriveCAN to enter Canada:

• in another country for a cruise that will enter Canada
  • in Canada
Edited by 5waldos

And this remains on the Celebrity website (the first link is to ArriveCAN)

Canada requires arriving travelers to complete an entry form prior to arrival. The form can be found here.

• If you are flying to Canada to begin your cruise, you must enter your vaccination/test results prior to your flight’s arrival in Canada.
  • If you will be entering a Canadian port on your cruise that begins in the U.S., you must enter your vaccination/test results prior to debarking in any Canadian port.
Edited by 5waldos

On 5/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

If we don't need a PCR before flying into Canada why do we need one to leave it (on the ship)? Because if this were a USA cruise only we wouldn't need one - is that right? Hopefully by July they will give up on that!x ?? 

If your cruise left from the USA, you would require a negative COVID test to enter the country and then whatever requirement the cruise line has.

Since you are entering Canada, no negative COVID test is required for fully vaccinated arrivals, as of last month. However, you must still comply with the cruise line's requirements.

How I read the requirements, Canada now has less requirements than if you left from the USA.

No matter what port your ship leaves from, if the ship stops in Canada at any point, whether that is embarkation, debarkation or a port stop, you must present a negative COVID test result from within the two days before embarkation of that cruise and fill in ArriveCan with the details about your cruise.

So for Alaska cruises that depart from Vancouver, or Seattle-departing Alaska cruises that stop in Victoria, or Alaska-departing Alaska cruises that end in Vancouver, the requirements are the same…a negative covid test within the two days before embarkation and filling out ArriveCan to show at embarkation day check in.  

It’s an unrelated fact that cruise lines require a negative COVID test before boarding, but it’s handy that you can use the same test for both purposes.

It’s also an unrelated requirement that if you enter Canada by air or land you need to fill in ArriveCan, and if you are staying in Canada for a few days pre-cruise you will likely need to fill in ArriveCan twice, once related to your flight and pre-cruise hotel stay, and once related to your cruise.  Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they fixed the app at some point to allow you to use the same entry for both.  Hopefully.  If you are flying in the same day as the cruise you can likely fill it all in as one entry and use that receipt for both the Canadian border entry requirements and for the Canadian government’s cruising requirements.  Editing to add, we cruise this weekend, so I’ll have DH check when he is filling out ArriveCan if it’s possible to enter a set of dates with a few days’ delay between entering Canada and cruise embarkation.

If you are flying back to the US after a Vancouver-ending cruise, don’t forget that you’ll need another Covid test the day before your flight home and to fill in the attestation form that’s a requirement of the US government for people entering the US by air.

I am not sure why Carnival hasn’t publicized the requirements more.  We got an email from NCL outlining the need for testing and ArriveCan.  Maybe Carnival likes chaotic embarkation days?

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1

I boarded the Carnival Splendor today and can verify that you had to show your ArriveCAN QR code before being allowed to proceed to check-in. Many were still unaware of this requirement even after Carnival sent an email about 10 days ago. They had several port workers assisting people with downloading and completing the app, but it appeared hectic and stressful for those trying to complete it at the last minute.

Carnival was also accepting PCR / NAAT Covid tests taken 24 - 72 hours prior to boarding or Antigen tests taken anytime in the 2 days prior to boarding. This is in line with the Canadian requirements for boarding a cruise that stops in Canada.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

Why the cruise lines can’t get this straight is beyond me. It’s not like the Canadian website is difficult to understand. ALL people on board a ship that will enter Canada (as well as all flying in-don’t remember the regulations for entering by land) are required to complete the ArriveCAN on line and have the approval to show prior to boarding. And a negative CoVid test is required to board all ships- at least in the Western Hemisphere ( I think world wide but not certain). 

The form is not difficult. 

• Like 1

just got an email answer from the Canadian version of the the CDC...

in a nutshell

FILL OUT THE APP

here ya go--

profile_mask2.png

11:51 AM (4 hours ago)

THIS IS NOT AN EXEMPTION LETTER: Travellers do not require a letter of interpretation from the Public Health Agency of Canada in order to be exempt from Emergency Orders. This information is based on the Emergency Orders: OIC 77: 2022-0320 (Entry) and OIC 78: 2022-0321 (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations).

Greetings,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the COVID-19 restrictions and border measures.

All passengers embarking a cruise ship in Canada, or that will dock in Canada, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

Prior to embarkation, passengers five years of age or older must provide proof of:

·       a valid negative rapid antigen test result taken no more than two days before embarkation;

·       a valid negative molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before embarkation; or

·       a previous positive molecular test result taken at least 10 calendar days (i.e. from day-11) and no more than 180 calendar days before embarkation. Positive rapid antigen test results will not be accepted to prove a previous COVID-19 infection.

Passengers must use ArriveCAN to submit their information within 72 hours of boarding the cruise ship.

For more information on the mandatory pre-embarkation testing and COVID-19 vaccination requirements to embark a cruise ship in Canada, or that will dock in Canada, please visit COVID-19: Cruise ship travel.

As a follow up to my previous post about ArriveCAN being required to board Carnival Splendor, they had so many passengers that did not have it completed upon arrival, they let many on without completing it.  I talked to several people on the first day who said they had no idea what ArriveCAN was and they were told to complete it once onboard. I saw a line at a couple of temporary computer terminals on the first sea day with Carnival personnel assisting passengers with ArriveCAN. There have been issues with internet service, so I don’t think many were able to complete it.  They made an announcement this morning (Day 3) for those who had not completed ArriveCAN to download and complete it today in Skagway since they should have cell service.

Also, I took a tour from Skagway into Canada today and they did NOT ask to see the ArriveCAN receipt at the border. They said since we had to have it to board the ship, we did not need to present it again for that border crossing. The tour guide did ask for passport information a couple of days before the tour, so they may have verified it with that information since I believe ArriveCAN is linked to your passport once submitted.

As my cruise is more than 3 days out, I can't try this in the ArriveCAN app - but are you able to also upload a positive test result of >10 days ago instead of the negative test result? It seems that meets the Canadian requirements, but I'm curious if the app supports it (as Verifly does not from what I hear).

2 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Is Canada still requesting a negative covid test, two days prior to boarding your cruise ship for all vaccinated passengers?

I believe that is a Cruise Line requirement, not the Canadian Government.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

As my cruise is more than 3 days out, I can't try this in the ArriveCAN app - but are you able to also upload a positive test result of >10 days ago instead of the negative test result? It seems that meets the Canadian requirements, but I'm curious if the app supports it (as Verifly does not from what I hear).

ArriveCAN no longer asks you to upload test results. 

• Like 2

We sail to Alaska the end of May.  The notification below was posted on the Princess website before opening my cruise personalizer this week. I registered for one account on the ArriveCAN website and added all family members to that account.  Uploading passports and vaccination info was easy.  Now all I'll have to do is finalize the form before embarkation.  It's a very user friendly process.

Important Acknowledgements for Your Cruise Vacation

Before entering Cruise Personalizer, read and acknowledge these notifications

Covid-19 Vaccination And Testing Requirement (Alaska/Can Ne)

Please be advised that guests 5 years and older on this voyage are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and meet the following requirements: - have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and produce proof of vaccination at terminal check-in. Boosters are recommended for eligible guests at least seven days before embarkation. - produce acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before or at embarkation (for guests 2 years and older). For required timing and details, please visit https://*****/pcl_ustest - complete ArriveCAN at https://*****/arrivecan within 72 hours of your cruise embarkation and enter proof of vaccination and travel information. Travel requirements are subject to change and vary by destination. Check our CruiseHealth FAQs (https://*****/pcl_usfaq), Princess communications and official government sites often for specifics for your voyage.

20 hours ago, JT1962 said:

ArriveCAN no longer asks you to upload test results. 

I suspect because the test is no longer required to enter Canada. And the 72 hour window is not the same as the 2 day window for a negative test to cruise. And unless there have been changes in the past couple of days, Canada requires a negative test. Most or all cruise ships do also. The timing is often different though so I would compare and follow the strictest regulations. 

And I would follow the Canadian regulations (complete ArriveCAN and get the test) no matter what someone at your cruise line tells you. If they tell you you don't need ArriveCAN they are simply WRONG. Until and unless Canada changes their requirements, you have to do it. 

Edited by 5waldos

16 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

Thanks! I just hit 72 hours before my cruise and can confirm that you do not upload test results in the app.

Are you still asked to make a test appointment for arrival in case you are randomly selected?

Edited by 5waldos

19 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

Thanks! I just hit 72 hours before my cruise and can confirm that you do not upload test results in the app.

Happy to hear.  Hopefully the cruise line, 2 day testing rule, will go away for all vaxed passengers too.  Having to figure out where to test and not wanting to pay the expense for 4 people to do so  will be a relief 

Edited by disneylover89
  • Like 1