Alaska cruise: If I don’t get off the ship in Victoria, do I still need ArriveCan?

CruiseMark

2 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Still waiting for any sort of official communication, like a direct email, considering I have a cruise booked that is coming up.  Absolutely nothing so far from Carnival.  Seems odd, I mean what purpose could it serve to wait until shortly before the cruise is here to let people know they have to do this thing?

I received an email on 4/22 for my 5/2 cruise with information on updated Covid test requirements and needing to complete ArriveCAN. It seems like they are waiting until 10 days before your cruise date to send the information.

I can only think of 2 reasons they are waiting so late to notify passengers: 

1. They think the rules may change again and don’t want to have to send updated information. 

2. They know there will be many calls with questions and don’t want to overwhelm Customer Service Reps / PVPs by notifying everyone at once.

We will (at the moment unless regulations change!x) fill in ArriveCan online at home in London before we fly to Vancouver before our cruise, and print off the receipt to show. What on earth (apart from the date) would I add 5 days later before I go on the cruise? This has to be the silliest rule ever - why can't I just show my nice NHS Vaccination Certificate at the port? I am not using a mobile for this (am campaigning against compulsory Apps which discriminate against those of us with poor sight who cannot read a whole computer screen of information on a 2" mobile phone) so have to pay to use an internet cafe somewhere in Vancouver? Or are people doing it at the port - say on an official's mobile phone? All my info will be in it, just the date on my receipt will need updating. What do you think? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We will (at the moment unless regulations change!x) fill in ArriveCan online at home in London before we fly to Vancouver before our cruise, and print off the receipt to show. What on earth (apart from the date) would I add 5 days later before I go on the cruise? This has to be the silliest rule ever - why can't I just show my nice NHS Vaccination Certificate at the port? I am not using a mobile for this (am campaigning against compulsory Apps which discriminate against those of us with poor sight who cannot read a whole computer screen of information on a 2" mobile phone) so have to pay to use an internet cafe somewhere in Vancouver? Or are people doing it at the port - say on an official's mobile phone? All my info will be in it, just the date on my receipt will need updating. What do you think? 

Your first ArriveCan would show you are arriving by air and list the hotel where you are staying pre-cruise.  Your second would indicate you are travelling by cruise ship to/from a Canadian port.  Your traveler info stays in the app/website between trips into or out of Canada, so you are really only adding new trip info each time once you have done the initial work of inputting travellers and vaccine info.

The web version might be easier for you, since the hotel may have a business center that you could use to do the second trip entry.  I think it still saves your traveller info, so if you also use the web version at home then everything should already be uploaded and you can just put in the details of the cruise. (The info isn’t saved between formats, so you either use the app both times or the website both times.)

There’s a guide here that might help, it shows screen shots from the app so you could see what to expect.  The app has been updated since this guide was written, there’s no quarantine info to enter anymore, but it’s still a good way to see what the app is like.

https://flytrippers.com/arrivecan-app-canada/

We’ve gotten pretty used to doing ArriveCan, since we travel a fair bit.  It’s not that much different than filling in the paper forms we used to have to do on the plane.  As an FYI, until fairly recently the UK had an almost identical web form to fill out when you were traveling.  It’s not just a Canadian thing, most countries have (or have had) something similar at some point in the last couple years.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1

It has never been up to the Cruiselines to inform you what documentation you need to enter another country.  In the fine print they always tell the passengers that it is their responsibility to know what is required.

ArriveCan is required, its not an onerous process, can be done on a phone, tablet or computer.

Also wonder how someone thinks they can board a cruise ship without a passport!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

A few tidbits that might be helpful - as mentioned already nobody is being forced to use the App, and the official website version uses the same Canadian federal government web standards as the eTA application which I assume you have already completed or your travels will end before they even begin as you can't board your flight to Canada!

Why not let you show an NHS vaxx certificate? Simply because there isn't an international standard that applies to such things, and it's thoroughly impractical to expect screeners to recognise every single issuing authority's format (and language...) at all, let alone well enough to spot a forgery! By standardizing to a single method it actually benefits you and all of us who travel by avoiding huge chokepoints at check-in. Much better to have all the time in the world to get your documentation in order and save it - it's literally just the trip-specific info you need to update in the 3 days before travel, all the core info about you and your group of up to 8 family members has no date restriction so folks can get that input long before they travel.

Why use ArriveCAN for cruises when you're already in Canada? It's already built, it's reliable, it contains all the info needed to meet almost all the rules that the government has put in place around cruising like your vaxx status - however annoying you as a tourist find having to fill it out again, trust me us Canadians have more reason to be annoyed as we already live here!!!! ;-) And believe me -  that last thing you want is to trust our federal government with another new IT project, it's nothing short of a miracle that ArriveCAN works as well as it does, building something else for cruising would likely go horribly wrong so reusing a proven tool is definitely the best way to go!

If for some reason you are not bringing a laptop/tablet etc. of your own and your hotel doesn't have a working computer you can use to do your second ArriveCAN entry, I'd be happy to meet up with you and help out. I can offer a nice big-screened android tablet or a windows laptop, both of which have web browsers that ArriveCAN works with so no need to deal with the App. Our own travel plans are minimal at the moment, so there's a very slim chance I'll be out of town on any date this cruise season.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I thought ArriveCan was to be activated 72 hours of arriving in Canada.  For the ships sailing from Seattle, their Victoria, BC port-of-call is on day 6 of the cruise.  How would this work checking in at Seattle?  Have the app on your phone, but don't activate it until 72 hours of entering Victoria? 

It's all clear as mud.

@Ferry_Watcher, will you please let us know what happens at your end when cruising starts?  Are people being denied boarding without this ArriveCan?

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

@Ferry_Watcher, will you please let us know what happens at your end when cruising starts?  Are people being denied boarding without this ArriveCan?

Passengers who arrive without ArriveCan at the pier are given instructions on how to download it and complete it.  It does have to be completed before you are allowed to board.  There was a 'help' desk available for the Ovation simulation cruise, but the thought is that as the season goes on, most passengers will show up with ArriveCan either on their phone, or a paper copy if they registered on their laptop.  I did the registration online, and also received an email notice, so I was also able to print out a copy.  It was reassuring to have it both on my phone and a hard copy.

Hopefully the cruise lines will get the word out on the required ArriveCan.  I think there was some surprise at how many folks showed up without it for the simulation cruise.  This coming week there will be about 5 sailings.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

People on the NCL Bliss roll calls have commented that yes, people were denied boarding if they couldn’t show the ArriveCan receipt.  They were being pulled out of line in the terminal and had to do it right then and there before they could continue with the checkin process.

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

People on the NCL Bliss roll calls have commented that yes, people were denied boarding if they couldn’t show the ArriveCan receipt.  They were being pulled out of line in the terminal and had to do it right then and there before they could continue with the checkin process.

Think of it as a "pause" in the check-in process if you show up without ArriveCan. 

Pier staff will inform you that you need to download and complete the Canadian gov't mandated  ArriveCan app in order to continue with embarkation.  The folks at the terminal can provide some assistance in helping passengers get ArriveCan downloaded, and once that is done they can continue on their embarkation  process.

The cruise lines really need to get this new travel requirement information out to passengers.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Passengers who arrive without ArriveCan at the pier are given instructions on how to download it and complete it.  It does have to be completed before you are allowed to board.  There was a 'help' desk available for the Ovation simulation cruise, but the thought is that as the season goes on, most passengers will show up with ArriveCan either on their phone, or a paper copy if they registered on their laptop.  I did the registration online, and also received an email notice, so I was also able to print out a copy.  It was reassuring to have it both on my phone and a hard copy.

Hopefully the cruise lines will get the word out on the required ArriveCan.  I think there was some surprise at how many folks showed up without it for the simulation cruise.  This coming week there will be about 5 sailings.  Fingers crossed!

Thank you.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Think of it as a "pause" in the check-in process if you show up without ArriveCan. 

Pier staff will inform you that you need to download and complete the Canadian gov't mandated  ArriveCan app in order to continue with embarkation.  The folks at the terminal can provide some assistance in helping passengers get ArriveCan downloaded, and once that is done they can continue on their embarkation  process.

The cruise lines really need to get this new travel requirement information out to passengers.

It’s only a “pause” if you do have some way of downloading it or accessing the webpage.  If you don’t have a smartphone, or a US data package, that may prove difficult.  I doubt there are computers available to access at the port to complete it, so I’m sure that for some, it may prove to be a hurdle they can’t overcome.  It’s much safer to just show up with it completed even if your cruise line doesn’t specifically tell you to.

7 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

You are very kind martincath! I wouldn't bother to travel with a laptop or tablet (still unsure as to benefit of that) as we have acres of camera equipment to lug already!

I am sure we can do it in the hotel. Though am hoping it will go.............!x

You're welcome. I'm also resistant to acquiring a smartphone, though I have no problem with tech - I've been a tablet user for a long time although when home I'd always rather have a proper physical keyboard to type on. For us though, tablets were an absolute godsend - back in the day we'd take two suitcases on vacation, split evenly in volume between clothes and books as we get through 2 novels a day on average and unfortunately our tastes don't overlap much.

When the Kindle came along and made for affordable, reliable eBook reading I grabbed one - and while I still use a Kindle regularly a tablet works just as well for eBooks if you are reading indoors where glare isn't an issue, plus the fabulous battery life of a dedicated e-reader is great but unless you're camping a device that runs for several hours on a charge is plenty good enough. Library books are also much more easily accessed on a tablet - Kindles need workarounds for many formats, whereas you can easily install Overdrive, Libby, Hoopla etc. and access all sorts of library materials on a regular Android or iOS tablet. It's almost as if Amazon would rather you buy books from them than borrow them from the library ;-)

Even a pretty big tablet weighs less than a chunky hardback novel - and with all sorts of handy free Apps like white noise generators, torches, weather, alarm clocks etc. they are also useful bedside items that replace a few things we used to take with us when traveling. Assuming your cameras are digital you'll find that a tablet is also useful to review your photos while you're away, much easier to see than the teeny screen on the camera. All-in-all, even while cruising from our home port where excess luggage obviously isn't a problem, we've found tablets to be very useful travel tools.

Thank you again martincath - gosh! I tend to bring 3 large paperbacks (one in my hand luggage for the plane over and 2 in my suitcase) and hope that will last me, or I can buy another one halfway through the holiday. DH makes do with 1 paperback, he isn't as dedicated to reading as I am. We do have a small back up device for the photos, and yes I do carry a small alarm clock. I am a bit luddite in not trusting something (ie a tablet) I would have to keep charging up. I do own a smartphone, but usually use it to text to our guide etc or whoever we are meeting, to check times and location. If we have free wi-fi I will probably make more use of it (eg Google). 

16 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

It’s only a “pause” if you do have some way of downloading it or accessing the webpage.  If you don’t have a smartphone, or a US data package, that may prove difficult.  I doubt there are computers available to access at the port to complete it, so I’m sure that for some, it may prove to be a hurdle they can’t overcome.  It’s much safer to just show up with it completed even if your cruise line doesn’t specifically tell you to.

It will be much easier and less stressful if everyone shows up with ArriveCan already submitted and the needed QR code available.

The folks who work at the terminal really want all passengers to be embarked, as long as they legally qualify.   ArriveCan is mandated by the Canadian gov't, and if a passenger didn't show up with it, it is a relatively easy fix, as long as they have proof of citizenship, and proof of vaccination (what you would need for your cruise anyway).  The folks at the terminal will do everything (legally) possible to get you embarked.  Providing assistance to help folks is part of that, but passengers also need to take responsibility and show up with all travel requirements meet.

I think once the cruise lines hear back from the homeports that the early in the season passengers were not all aware that ArriveCan was required, that they (the cruise lines) will make more of an effort to inform their passengers.

I just downloaded the app.  Very easy to complete the info. You need to complete the required info no sooner than 72 hrs before you start your cruise even if you do not get off the ship in Canada unless they change the rules before your cruise. If you are not sure, better to complete it to be safe.  Can always delete the app and the info in it if you find out it is not needed by the time you cruise.

35 minutes ago, marylandfan20794 said:

I just downloaded the app.  Very easy to complete the info. You need to complete the required info no sooner than 72 hrs before you start your cruise even if you do not get off the ship in Canada unless they change the rules before your cruise. If you are not sure, better to complete it to be safe.  Can always delete the app and the info in it if you find out it is not needed by the time you cruise.

I forgot to mention you may complete the traveler details for everyone in your group, vaccine, and passport details in advance.  The rest of the form details cannot be completed any sooner than 72 hrs before you sail.

8 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

If you have already completed vaccine, passport, hotel / ship details etc what is it which must wait until 72 hours to be completed? 

I'm guessing the negative test result.

36 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I'm guessing the negative test result.

Nope - the information on how you're entering Canada (flight number, cruise ship).

Canada no longer requires a Covid test before entering the country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseryyc said:

Nope - the information on how you're entering Canada (flight number, cruise ship).

Oh right, that's just the cruise line's requirement now. IDK then. Maybe just the wording hadn't been updated since that was required.

2 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Wait, what did I miss?! As of yesterday, Canada required a negative covid test dated 2 days or less from your cruise embarkment. Yes, a negative covid test is a NCL requirement, but it is also a Canada requirement for all cruise ships docking at their ports.