Disney Cruise for Adults first time

Salf777

So my wife and I, no kids, love to cruise. Love destinations and staying on ship. Disney lovers hook line and sinker, annual pass holders, DVC all that. Never done a Disney cruise. Love nice dining and would definitely do concierge level. 
what ship and or destination would you suggest. Fortunately we can travel anywhere and any time so just looking for what everyone would recommend as the best experience. Thanks 

• Like 2

We've been on the four current ships although it has been awhile.  All have adults only area pool, adults only area restaurants.  I liked  Dream and Fantasy best as at concierge level you have dedicated area and lounge.  Pool, no, what were they thinking?  

The new ships would definitely be a choice just to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did the Disney Wonder to Alaska twice. The sail to the glacier is really beautiful. The characters show up in cute Alaskan outfits too. As mentioned above, their theatre shows are literally the best I’ve seen at sea; other cruise lines I’ve been on are no comparison (HAL, Cunard, Princess, Celeb, etc). Legit Broadway show tier stuff. The adult only areas include pools, bars/pubs, lounges, specialty restaurant. Palo’s brunch is quite well known (although was better pre-COVID when there was a buffet). It’s fun running into Disney characters around the ship - spontaneous and exciting. Have your phone camera ready! Day time activities I recall included things like cooking demos, arts and crafts, trivia, karaoke - stuff like that. Alaska always has various wilderness themed things. Their onboard gift shop is great - since instead of your average cruise line branded merch, it’s a whole Disney store featuring boat exclusive merch! During the day, you don’t actually see kids all too much since they’re in the kids clubs. Early dining is more popular with kids. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, Salf777 said:

So my wife and I, no kids, love to cruise. Love destinations and staying on ship. Disney lovers hook line and sinker, annual pass holders, DVC all that. Never done a Disney cruise. Love nice dining and would definitely do concierge level.  what ship and or destination would you suggest. Fortunately we can travel anywhere and any time so just looking for what everyone would recommend as the best experience. Thanks 

We are kind of like you, but we do have kids and grandkids and the whole family loves Disney, Disney cruises, Disney hotels, etc. DW and I are former Cast Members, who met at Disneyland and have been annual pass holders since we both left the company back in the mid-1980's.

We've done Disney cruises with kids/grandkids and without.

How long and where depends on personal preferences I suppose. Our best Disney cruise ever was a no kids Transatlantic. We love sea days.

Our other two favorites were a 4 day cruise and 7 day Disney World combo vacations and then a 5 day Mexico out of San Diego. We loved the Mexico cruise, not so much for the ports, which we know only too well from land vacations and other cruises, but because it was only an hour or so to the port and we want to encourage Disney to do more West Coast itineraries.

We are avid cruisers, in our 60s, grown children no grandchildren; for a quick weekend away, my husband wanted to cruise out of port canaveral , two ships are Independence of the Seas ( been on many many times ) and the new Disney wish. The concierge level was sold out. We have a veranda.

Questions, can we bring soda on board? At dinner will we be assigned to sit with another family? Any tips for first time Disney cruisers?

38 minutes ago, alexkrn46 said:

Questions, can we bring soda on board? At dinner will we be assigned to sit with another family? Any tips for first time Disney cruisers?

I don't know about bring on sodas, since I very seldom drink them, but as for tips, I'd take advantage of the Adult Only areas, not because there are no kids there, but because they are quieter and less crowded.

We've sailed Disney 4 times sans kids/grandkids, 4 times with and each has their advantages and pleasures.

The nice thing about the Disney Wish is it looks like they finally got the adult areas right. The adult pool and Cove Café are aft, where kids are less likely to walk through. On the Magic and Wonder, The adult pool is between the midship and aft elevators, so there is frequently kids walking through to get from one place to another. On the Fantasy and Dream, it's a similar problem.  

On 7/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, alexkrn46 said:

Questions, can we bring soda on board? At dinner will we be assigned to sit with another family?

Yes, you can bring soda onboard.  At least you used to, don't know if COVID killed that option.  You could bring whatever non-alcoholic beverages onboard then.

You may be assigned to a table with others, depending on your party size.  Unless you're concierge, then the default is to give you your own table.  You can make a request (not guaranteed) for your own table, if that's what you want (or, conversely, request to be seated with others if you're concierge).  

On 7/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, alexkrn46 said:

We are avid cruisers, in our 60s, grown children no grandchildren; for a quick weekend away, my husband wanted to cruise out of port canaveral , two ships are Independence of the Seas ( been on many many times ) and the new Disney wish. The concierge level was sold out. We have a veranda.

Unless something has changed, Disney doesn't charge for soda on board.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:55 PM, Shmoo here said:

Yes, you can bring soda onboard.  At least you used to, don't know if COVID killed that option.  You could bring whatever non-alcoholic beverages onboard then.

You may be assigned to a table with others, depending on your party size.  Unless you're concierge, then the default is to give you your own table.  You can make a request (not guaranteed) for your own table, if that's what you want (or, conversely, request to be seated with others if you're concierge).  

Someone posted this photo of available fountain sodas (complimentary 24/7 on pool deck).  They are also available with meals in dining rooms.

8C3D2C97-9DE2-406F-B23D-F22E8409D86B.thumb.jpeg.63431e9c5c4dd8d2a008109b0fdf4d65.jpeg

Canned sodas are available for a fee.

You need to carry on any drinks you bring - and they need to fit an airline-style scanner.

• Like 1

The Concierge Lounge on the original ships, Magic and Wonder, we’re an afterthought. The cabins and lounge are not together in a controlled-access area.

(I have sailed in Concierge on the Magic and Dream).

There is not a special restaurant for Concierge.  Disney offers their unique MDR rotation (your waiter goes with you to each venue) with special theming and dinner show.

I utilized the Dream’s Concierge Lounge for light meals.  I loved the deconstructed Caesar Salad.  Not a large variety, but it beat burgers on the pool deck.

As for dining, you should have a better chance at Specialty Fining as a first-time cruiser by being in Concierge.

Magic and Wonder have one Specialty Restaurant: Pablo’s, a northern-Italian menu, offering brunch (Sea Days and Nassau) and dinner.

Dream and Fantasy offer Palo and also Remy, a more “chef-y” French dinner.

The new Wish has changed Pablo’s theme to steak house.  No Remy.  A new venue by a Michelin-recognized chef. (I think he is the chef behind Victoria & Albert at WDW).

I would recommend you do not choose a port-intensive itinerary (like summer in the Med), as long port days tend to cause you to miss dinner or shows.

Any itinerary I would recommend is on the Magic or Wonder (Panama Canal, Norwegian Fjords, Alaska, Iceland).  

The Fantasy has been doing the 7-night cruises, while the Dream sails 3- and 4- nights to the Bahamas (to include Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay).

If they offer a unique itinerary, such as a Southern Caribbean to the ABC islands, you will find the passengers to often be top-level loyalty members with fewer children.  (And harder to get Specialty Dining - as most of them get a complimentary meal at Palo).

Bon Voyage! 

• Like 1

We did the Disney Fantasy back in 2019 with our then 23 year old daughter and overall we enjoyed our Disney cruise. This was our first time cruising with Disney. Right now we have a 10 night cruise with RSSC coming up in March, but just booked a 5 night cruise on the Disney Dream in December in concierge. I'm looking forward to it.

We are also big time Disney fans, (though it's getting harder to be) are DVC members, and for years went to WDW once a year and sometimes twice a year. I'll admit, I am not a big fan of the MDR and the food or service in it. I know most who are Disney fans rave about it, I just thought it was rather average. We plan on Dining in Remy twice, a dinner in Palo twice if I can get it, the Palo brunch, and if all goes as planned, just one night in the MDR. The shows are fun, the adult area is not bad, but the concierge exclusive area is awesome, the service in concierge is also great. If your a Disney fan I think you'll enjoy DCL as adults. For someone that is not a big Disney fan, maybe not as much. I say give it a try. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 7:15 AM, dexddd said:

All have adults only area pool, adults only area restaurants.

And from what I've seen so far, the adults only areas on Wish are really, really nice.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:34 AM, FreightlinerFan said:

My wife and I would be bored to tears on a Disney cruise longer than 3 nights.  We were just on the Dream, and had a great time,  but there is nothing to do in the evenings, other than a show(very good shows btw) and dinner..........

Plus the cost of the super high price fort it. You are so corect. if you can afford thousands to take kids on the  cruise, fine. Otherwise forget it. Very boarding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, notscb said:

And from what I've seen so far, the adults only areas on Wish are really, really nice.

If the adult areas on deck you're referring to are concierge then that's possible.  Non-concierge, the adult pool is 2 feet of water that fits about 15 - 20 people.  Great view off the back of the ship but not a very good pool.  The rest of the Quiet Cove area has lots of loungers lined up down each side of the ship with no shade.  The adult bars inside are spread out and too small for the events they host.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a couple of 3 & 4 days Bahama and a 7 day eastern caribbean cruise on the Dream and the Fantasy.  At the time we had pre-teens who used the clubs a lot.  I think the 3 day was too short to experience the ship and all it had to offer.  A lot of people will do these short runs twice back to back.  Being a Disney fan I agree with someone else who said to avoid the port intensive type cruises for your first cruise with them so you can enjoy the ship.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, alohayall said:

Magic and Wonder have one Specialty Restaurant: Pablo’s,

I believe that's "Palo".  

On 7/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, alohayall said:

The new Wish has changed Pablo’s theme to steak house.

Also, "Palo" on the Wish, but is a steakhouse instead of the other ship's Italian theming.  

On 8/31/2022 at 7:37 PM, Shmoo here said:

I believe that's "Palo".  

Also, "Palo" on the Wish, but is a steakhouse instead of the other ship's Italian theming.  

Once that auto-correct feature sets in, it holds on tight. Yes, folks, it’s Palo.  😅