Help me decide what ship!

Hey all, so me and the family are trying to decide on what ship to take on our next cruise.  We've been on Freedom for 6 nights and loved it, but at the end, wished it was longer.  So after researching cruises for my daughter's 18th bday, i've come up with 3 options.

1. 8 Nights on the voyager (out of Port Canaveral)

+Closer to Disney

+Longer trip

+Cheapest trip

-Older ship (although renovated)

-Smaller than the Freedom we were previously on

2. 6 Nights on the Odyssey (out of Ft Lauderdale)

+Medium to Disney

+New Ship

+/-Medium Price

-Shorter trip

3. 7 Nights on the Oasis (out of Miami)

+Medium trip length

+Giant Ship

-Most Expensive trip

-Farther from Disney

So we're a party of 4.  Me, the wife. and our 2 daughters (15 and 18 at time of potential sailing).  Kids/teen clubs are a non issue, my kids refuse to go to them.  In terms of best overall experience, what would you guys think?  We like to do the shows and use the various activities/shows on board including pools.  I'm worried that 6 nights is too short and feel like I'd be stepping down going to the Voyager from the previous Freedom sailing.  Is it worth sacrificing a day or two to jump into a bigger ship?  The price is higher, but not by a ton, and I'd have to drive to/from Miami or Ft Lauderdale to Disney either before or after the sailing.  Specialty dining isn't an issue either, we usually do Main Dining room and whatever places are included

any opinions would help, I'm honestly torn, and the family seems to not care either way LOL

Jason

Edited by Devi8or

3 hours ago, Devi8or said:

Hey all, so me and the family are trying to decide on what ship to take on our next cruise.  We've been on Freedom for 6 nights and loved it, but at the end, wished it was longer.  So after researching cruises for my daughter's 18th bday, i've come up with 3 options.

+Closer to Disney

+Longer trip

+Cheapest trip

+Medium to Disney

+New Ship

+/-Medium Price

-Shorter trip

+Medium trip length

+Giant Ship

-Most Expensive trip

-Farther from Disney

So we're a party of 4.  Me, the wife. and our 2 daughters (15 and 18 at time of potential sailing).  Kids/teen clubs are a non issue, my kids refuse to go to them.  In terms of best overall experience, what would you guys think?  We like to do the shows and use the various activities/shows on board including pools.  I'm worried that 6 nights is too short and feel like I'd be stepping down going to the Voyager from the previous Freedom sailing.  Is it worth sacrificing a day or two to jump into a bigger ship?  The price is higher, but not by a ton, and I'd have to drive to/from Miami or Ft Lauderdale to Disney either before or after the sailing.  Specialty dining isn't an issue either, we usually do Main Dining room and whatever places are included

any opinions would help, I'm honestly torn, and the family seems to not care either way LOL

Jason

Why  isn't Wonder of the Seas 7 night cruise in your equation of choices for 2023? It sails from Pt. Canaveral 

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Where do each of the ships go?

Ports of Call: Perfect Day Cococay - Bahamas | Cozumel - Mexico | Roatan - Honduras | Puerto Costa Maya - Mexico

Ports of Call: Perfect Day Cococay - Bahamas | Charlotte Amalie - St. Thomas | Philipsburg - St. Maarten

November of 2023 or later..............that are the dates you are looking at right?

If you want longer then the 7  nights, Side by Side it with a 3 or 4 nighter from same port on a different ship from that same port

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ports of Call: Perfect Day Cococay - Bahamas | Cozumel - Mexico | Roatan - Honduras | Puerto Costa Maya - Mexico

Ports of Call: Perfect Day Cococay - Bahamas | Charlotte Amalie - St. Thomas | Philipsburg - St. Maarten

Fall of 2023..............that are the dates you are looking at right?

Which ship goes where?  That would affect my decision.  Or do they all go to the same places?

Edited by time4u2go

3 hours ago, Devi8or said:

+Closer to Disney

+Longer trip

+Cheapest trip

+Medium to Disney

+New Ship

+/-Medium Price

-Shorter trip

+Medium trip length

+Giant Ship

-Most Expensive trip

-Farther from Disney

Jason

The difference between freedom class and voyager isn’t that significant.  If you went on one and then the other a few years later you may not even notice they are a different class ship.  Just an FYI.   

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Which ship goes where?  That would affect my decision.  Or do they all go to the same places?

Wonder of the Seas, does both of those I listed above, Alternate week to week.

Edited by Jimbo

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Right, but I'm wondering (pardon the pun) where the ships that the OP is considering go to.

Voyager 8 nighter, nothing special I can see.

Ports of Call: Labadee - Haiti | Puerto Plata - Dominican Rep | Charlotte Amalie - St. Thomas | St. Croix - U.S.V.I.

4 ports, 3 sea days on the 8  nighter............Voyager is much older(worn)........I would take the 1 night less on Wonder and stay a day longer at Disney.

Edited by Jimbo

Haven't been on Odyssey yet but have been on Anthem (so similar with Odyssey newer and a few more activities), and have been on Oasis class.

If still within budget and departure port is workable I'd pick Oasis.  7 nights is still a good length and Oasis class is a "wow".  So much to do with the zipline, Abyss, waterslides plus regular activities (rock wall, flowrider, mini golf, pool).  The Aqua show is different so neat to see, plus you have the ice rink, etc.

Voyager is an older ship with less amenities.  It was my second cruise and I loved it but others are probably better for activities for teens.  Odyssey has iFly and North Star and SkyPad which would also be lots of fun for them (and you).

Don't think you can wrong though as Royal is an amazing product with service and food, shows, etc....so any would be amazing family vacation.

Let us know what you decide.

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Why  isn't Wonder of the Seas 7 night cruise in your equation of choices for 2023? It sails from Pt. Canaveral 

for me personally it was the exorbitant prices RCI charges for Wonder cruises....

5 hours ago, Devi8or said:

In terms of best overall experience, what would you guys think? 

We have recently faced a similar choice - 8 days on Explorer (southern, more expensive), 6 days on Ody (eastern, cheapest) or 7 days on Oasis (PR, priced in the middle of the other two) for spring break 2023. In the end we decided on Oasis. I kept following the prices and managed to book it at its lowest (it fluctuated by $400). Explorer was just too old for us.

Don't forget to check the price often (at least once a week, sometimes I check every day or even twice a day), and reprice when it's lower.

P.S. the problem I personally have with shorter cruises is that I always have a stress induced migraine for the first 2+ days of the cruise. So, it just doesn't make any sense to go on a shorter cruise, even if the ship is newer and better.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This would probably be my recommendation if the price works for you. Newer Oasis-class and closer to Disney (which seems important). We also enjoy both itineraries and will likely be on it for Roatan next summer since our ship was sadly unable to dock there in 2019 due to high winds and we really wanted to stop there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Don't forget to check the price often (at least once a week, sometimes I check every day or even twice a day), and reprice when it's lower.

Excellent advice.

• Like 1

I dont look at anything but Oasis class now. 

Amazing ships and i dont have to look at all the other great ships RC has.

I have been on other classes of RC ships and like Oasis class the best.

Makes it easier for me to book a cruise.

First off, the differences between the Freedom and the Voyager, in my opinion are minimal, so for me that part wouldn't enter the conversation. The Oasis class is by far my favorite, with the Quantum Class second. The Odyssey is a Quantum Plus Class, and is different than all the Odyssey ships. It's a ship I have on my radar. We were on the Ovation, and loved that ship as well, though it doesn't have the pool deck like the Odyssey.

Given your apparent priorities/preferences, I would look at the Wonder out of port Canaveral . Easier flights to MCO and no  hassle / expense transferring  from FLL or MIA . Biggest/ newest ship and easy to add Disney, etc.  One of the realities of cruising is that the cruise fare is only a relatively small part of the overall cost of a cruise vacation, especially if you are doing the Disney / Orlando experience, so don’t let the cruise fare be a major decision point..

Coming from Freedom, the differences are subtle with Voyager is about 90 feet shorter.  This is most noticeable in the Promenade and pool decks.  Voyager's Promenade just feels smaller.  On the pool deck, Voyager lacks the enormous cantilever hot tubs.  They take up space on the Solarium deck area which makes it feel tighter.  Also, Voyager does not have the kid's "splash" area.  The Windjammer is also smaller on Voyager. 

One thing you will notice if you have balcony room is that they feel more enclosed on Voyager.  Instead of the glass sliding privacy partitions between balconies, Voyager has solid steel walls.  Where Freedom's balconies are open wall to wall and floor to ceiling, Voyager's is a large oval, so there is some encroachment into the opening.  Instead of the area below the railing being all glass, on Voyager, the bottom 18"-24" is solid steel.