Tips/service charges?

MrLoLoLo

New to cruising really, only been on a TUI one where everything was included, tips, service charges etc. 

Looking now TUI cruises are really expensive this year, like most tbh because of everything that’s going on. 

So not sure on how others work, all

i can find on PO site is “no need to tip””. So just wanting to know of there is any other charges. I like on TUI how everything is included, prefer that upfront. 

Looks like drinks are not included on PO. Paying for 4 will become expensive, so what is guide price, for alcohol and soft drinks, coffee etc. 

Thanks

Speciality restaurants have to be paid for, you can buy the drinks package, not to sure of the cost as we have never had it. If it’s 2 adults both have to have the package I believe any coffees water and soft drinks are also included in this.  I am sure somebody else will come along who can give you more info.

13 minutes ago, MrLoLoLo said:

New to cruising really, only been on a TUI one where everything was included, tips, service charges etc. 

Looking now TUI cruises are really expensive this year, like most tbh because of everything that’s going on. 

So not sure on how others work, all

i can find on PO site is “no need to tip””. So just wanting to know of there is any other charges. I like on TUI how everything is included, prefer that upfront. 

Looks like drinks are not included on PO. Paying for 4 will become expensive, so what is guide price, for alcohol and soft drinks, coffee etc. 

Thanks

Drinks on P&O are similar priced to UK town centre bars. Check the P&O website I imagine there will be sample bar menu prices somewhere on there.

Compared to many cruise lines (particularly American ones) the drink prices are very reasonable  (pub prices) and no gratuities are added.
For most people the drinks packages are probably not worth it - especially if you allow for days ashore.

Yes I can’t see any of the prices, always seem to do that. Is there no drinks at all included? Also can’t find the added drinks package price either. But yes probably not use as you say be off every time could anyway. 

So all tips are included for everything, I’m just trying to get an overall price. Probably wouldn’t do the extra speciality restaurants either as rather just done offshore. 

Just seems strange compared to TUI same time, Aug, that (apart from added drink prices), it’s around £1400 cheaper. 

11 minutes ago, MrLoLoLo said:

Yes I can’t see any of the prices, always seem to do that. Is there no drinks at all included? Also can’t find the added drinks package price either. But yes probably not use as you say be off every time could anyway. 

So all tips are included for everything, I’m just trying to get an overall price. Probably wouldn’t do the extra speciality restaurants either as rather just done offshore. 

Just seems strange compared to TUI same time, Aug, that (apart from added drink prices), it’s around £1400 cheaper. 

If you look under FAQ on P&Os website and then go under Life on Board it will tell you all about drinks packages. Ultimate is £39-95pppd and for children under 17 if in same cabin then they get Children's Package free of charge.

Edited by majortom10

coffee / tea are free in the buffet restaurant and main dining room as is water and I think some fruit juices at breakfast; all other drinks - alcohol, speciality coffees etc incur a charge.  You can buy drinks as you go if you'd rather that than the package (and prices are similar to UK pub prices).  The drinks package is £39.95 per person per day and you have to have it every day (e,g. you can't opt out of paying on port days), and both adults in the cabin have to have it. I think the daily limit is 15 alcoholic drinks per day with the package

58 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

coffee / tea are free in the buffet restaurant and main dining room as is water and I think some fruit juices at breakfast; all other drinks - alcohol, speciality coffees etc incur a charge.  You can buy drinks as you go if you'd rather that than the package (and prices are similar to UK pub prices).  The drinks package is £39.95 per person per day and you have to have it every day (e,g. you can't opt out of paying on port days), and both adults in the cabin have to have it. I think the daily limit is 15 alcoholic drinks per day with the package

Thanks didn’t see that package, probably wouldn’t then as would have to pay for 4 packages. 

So if you go to buffet you can just grab a coffee or water (what type as in bottled, tap etc?) whenever want? That’s what we did on TUI. Can you bring it out of buffet?

As a non-alcohol drinker I continue to be amazed that cruisers consider £39.99 per person per day a reasonable thing to spend their money on.

That's a rate of £2,400 per month for a couple!

I shall tell my wife that we are "sort-of" saving £79.98 per day x 19 days on our next cruise = approx £1,520 = 150% of the cost of all our P&O tours bought for every available port.

We are not teetotal - we just prefer coffee, tea and (myself) iced water.

Each to his own, I suppose!

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MrLoLoLo said:

So if you go to buffet you can just grab a coffee or water (what type as in bottled, tap etc?) whenever want? That’s what we did on TUI. Can you bring it out of buffet?

Yes.

Water is just chilled from a dispenser.

You can of course make tea and coffee in  your cabin.

6 hours ago, bbtablet said:

As a non-alcohol drinker I continue to be amazed that cruisers consider £39.99 per person per day a reasonable thing to spend their money on.

I shall tell my wife that we are "sort-of" saving £79.98 per day x 19 days on our next cruise = approx £1,520 = 150% of the cost of all our P&O tours bought for every available port.

Yes, each to their own - but it does sort of amaze me too! Having said that, it’s a holiday and I don’t suppose most people drink that much at home on a regular basis. To me, alcohol and cigarettes are a complete waste of money, but that’s must my opinion and it doesn’t bother me if people are sensible drinkers. Smoking - just do it far, far, far away! 

6 hours ago, MrLoLoLo said:

Thanks didn’t see that package, probably wouldn’t then as would have to pay for 4 packages. 

You can take anything out of the buffet, to eat or drink on your sunbed, pool side table, or back in your room. Most bars will also provide you with a glass of iced water if you ask nicely.

• Like 1

There is fruit juice available from the dispenser at breakfast time in the buffet. You could fill a couple of glasses then pour it into your own bottle. You have a small fridge in your room if you want to keep it for later. You can do the same with water but as it's always cold there's no need to put it in your fridge. You can't however take a used cup/glass for a refill, just pick up a clean one.

Ice cream is free in the mdr (main dining room) but they don't have it in the buffet. You can buy it on deck. Speciality teas and coffees can be bought around the ship. 

I will try and bump a thread with some menus, but I imagine there will have been a price increases.

This will give you some idea of whether it's worth it for you. For some reason I can't add the complete link

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk-cruise -drinks-package-calculator then check the P&O one (I'm sure having trouble pasting th the full  list). 

unlink

Pre pandemic but might give you an idea. There was another topic with lots of menus but I haven't found it.

The cruise mummy site is worth looking at. Ignore my mistakes (last sentence) in the last posting, my internet kept dropping out.

Ventura P&O Drinks Prices

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, bbtablet said:

We gave up the booze a few years ago ... realise we were wasting so much money and getting very foggy in the brain dept. !

• Like 3