Does RCCL test onboard day before departure for flight back to US

Our Alaska Cruise on Serenade of the Seas seems to be happening this year but I’m a bit concerned. We are at sea all day on Day 7 and on day 8 we leave the ship early and head to the airport in Vancouver for a 12:30 flight back to NY. Since we need a negative COVID test 1 day before flying home and we are on the ship that whole day before, does RCL test onboard so we will have the COVID test we need to fly home? 

thank you

• Like 2

Our cruise is in June and final payment is due soon so I’m really hoping someone knows the answer. Our flight is at 12:30 out of Vancouver so timing will be tight. I was told no flight before 12 so I thought we would be good with 12:30 but with this COVID test I’m not sure what to do. 
hopefully someone will have the info we need. 

enjoy your cruise. 

I’m ok with paying for the test. That’s no problem. Testing the B2B guests, they are testing a limited amount of people. Testing for international flights will be another story. I understand that, but being a sea the whole day before, there doesn’t seem to be any other options. 

15 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

We're in the same boat.

Was hoping that all covid testing, masking, & restrictions would all go away by the summer.

But that looks less & less likely now...

Agreed, especially with case numbers starting to increase again.

Right, perhaps I should have stated my thought a bit differently.  I know they have on board testing facilities/capabilities, but they might choose to refuse your request if they felt the need to prioritize other on board needs, but I would certainly expect they would accommodate your scenario if at all possible, and they might very well charge some fee for it.  That has to be a regular occurrence … international flights home, with the need for a negative Covid result in order to fly. In the long run it is in their best interest, both in customer satisfaction, and in facilitating a path to more international customers.

Edited by cruzer0007

Considering Royal won't test anyone on board on US sailings if they need a test to fly home, I do not see them doing it for Canadian cruises. Except for the unvax kids that need the test to get off the ship. 

I would start researching your options now. 

• Like 1

Royal currently won't test any international travelers sailing out of US ports that need test to fly home.

They refer those travelers to use the mobile lab that is set up outside cruise terminal.

Maybe Vancouver port will set up mobile lab.   Otherwise check out testing options at the airport or bring a proctored kit with you and do online test on your last sea day.  Probably want surf and stream wifi to do video  online with proctor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Royal currently won't test any international travelers sailing out of US ports that need test to fly home.

They refer those travelers to use the mobile lab that is set up outside cruise terminal.

Maybe Vancouver port will set up mobile lab.   Otherwise check out testing options at the airport or bring a proctored kit with you and do online test on your last sea day.  Probably want surf and stream wifi to do video  online with proctor.

Yes....hopefully the internet connection will be good enough if we (also in this situation for our September cruise in/out of Vancouver) need to do the eMed test on last cruise day.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes....hopefully the internet connection will be good enough if we (also in this situation for our September cruise in/out of Vancouver) need to do the eMed test on last cruise day.

We plan on doing exactly the same thing for our Quantum September sailing...bring eMed...test on last cruise day and hope the internet works ok. :classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, cruiseforus said:

How does that work?  I know how to do the home test but I don’t understand how to do it with the internet. 

You need either a phone or laptop.  It's really easy.   Basically you connect via video call to a lab proctor, then open up test kit and perform test while the lab person watches, stay connected and wait the 15 mins for results and show the proctor.   Once done you will then receive via email or thru their app a copy of certified lab results of your test.  You can buy the binax Ag kits thru optum or emed.  

Royal has a link you can use to make sure you are purchasing the correct test.

As of now, no, Royal is not testing USA travelers who need a negative test to reenter the USA via Air from Vancouver.  If your cruise ends in Seward or Seattle, no test to reenter is needed.  If you choose to drive or take a bus from Vancouver to the USA, no test is needed.  It is only needed for Air travel.  Hopefully since our borders are open now, the need to test USA citizens returning from a cruise where the port stops were Alaska and you are in Canada for a day at the most and in our case 4 hours the day of disembarking, this "rule" will end.  We leave May 27th and will either test on ship with Emed the day before somehow or when we dock in Vancouver before we leave for airport.  There are options to test at airport.  I personally think Royal should accommodate those of us who do not have plans to stay in Vancouver by testing us onboard.  I have absolutely no problem paying for this.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bob63005 said:

We are doing a cruise tour in July in Alaska with the land portion first. Does anyone know if Royal will test us at the end of the land portion to get the needed test for the cruise portion. Kind of similar to B2B.

Last I looked their protocols specifically said you have to test before the land tour and you are responsible for testing before the cruise. They suggest either the emed or find a place in Anchorage. 

They are not doing testing for those on wonder transatlantic.  We had planned to fly back the day we debarked since we have been there so many times, but instead had to change our air and stay an extra day to get the test.  I am not happy about it.  Would have been happy to pay and told them that.  It will definitely affect my future bookings.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

You need either a phone or laptop.  It's really easy.   Basically you connect via video call to a lab proctor, then open up test kit and perform test while the lab person watches, stay connected and wait the 15 mins for results and show the proctor.   Once done you will then receive via email or thru their app a copy of certified lab results of your test.  You can buy the binax Ag kits thru optum or emed.  

Royal has a link you can use to make sure you are purchasing the correct test.

Like many if you we are facing the same issue.  I just want to know how in the world a high percentage of US residents are going to get this done on a ship using Emed?  I know all about Emed but seriously do you think the ships internet has the capability/bandwidth to handle the sure numbers on that last day?  It seems to me that the Internet isn’t even as good on ships at higher latitudes.   I feel a problem is on the way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snowbird1 said:

Like many if you we are facing the same issue.  I just want to know how in the world a high percentage of US residents are going to get this done on a ship using Emed?  I know all about Emed but seriously do you think the ships internet has the capability/bandwidth to handle the sure numbers on that last day?  It seems to me that the Internet isn’t even as good on ships at higher latitudes.   I feel a problem is on the way. 

they don't.  We fortunately in January were tested on the ship in Barbados the day before we flew back.  It was covered.  But even if it wasn't, I would have paid for it.  It is going to be a nightmare trying to do these Emed tests. I have a feeling this is one of the reasons why the Alaska cruises are having price drops. Most of us would pay for this test.  We already paid for the emed test.  

19 hours ago, snowbird1 said:

I’ve used VOOM and I think it’s plenty reliable enough for this.      

I am cruising in May and plan to do this exact thing.     Take the eMed test using the VOOM before getting off in Canada.  

I’ll post my experience once I’ve had it 🙂

• Thanks 1