Deceptive Business Practices

billctx

Has anyone filed a complaint with their state or the FTC for deceptive business practices based on a sales person making promises that are false?  When I booked my cruise (first one) I was told if at any point the price dropped I would be refunded.  Now that has occurred by over $2,000 and I am told there is no refund.  I have the representative on a recording confirming she said this but that she was unfamiliar with the policies of her own company so basically to bad.  Pretty sure that is fraud.  Has anyone had a similar issue with the Norwegian?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, billctx said:

Has anyone filed a complaint with their state or the FTC for deceptive business practices based on a sales person making promises that are false?  When I booked my cruise (first one) I was told if at any point the price dropped I would be refunded.  Now that has occurred by over $2,000 and I am told there is no refund.  I have the representative on a recording confirming she said this but that she was unfamiliar with the policies of her own company so basically to bad.  Pretty sure that is fraud.  Has anyone had a similar issue with the Norwegian?

Never trust what a sales person tells you.  Only definite is what is in writing in the contract.

You can file but it won't get you anywhere.

• Like 1

Your booking is covered by the cruise contract you agreed to when you made the booking.

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

Guest Ticket Contract

1. Definitions: This Contract is between the Carrier and the Guest. The “Guest” is each person whose name appears on the face of this ticket and/or who uses the ticket for passage on the voyage described in the ticket, and includes any accompanying minors, and any of their heirs, successors, assigns or representatives. The word “Carrier” shall mean NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. doing business as Norwegian Cruise Line and shall include its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, assigns, as well as the vessel upon which the voyage was booked or any vessel substituted in its place, including the master and crew of the vessel(s) for Guest’s voyage.

2. The Contract: The Guest agrees that this Contract governs the relationship between the Guest and the Carrier, regardless of the Guest's age, whether the Guest purchased the ticket on his or her own behalf, and/or whether the ticket has been held and/or presented by another person on behalf of the Guest. The Guest agrees that, except as expressly provided herein, this Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Guest and Carrier, and shall supersede and exclude any prior representations that may have been made in relation to the cruise to the Guest or anyone representing him/her by anyone, including but not limited to anything stated in the Carrier's brochures, advertisements, and other promotional materials, by Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America employees or by third persons such as travel agents. 

You'll want to give careful consideration to the highlighted section prior to taking further action.

• Like 1

If the price never dropped, would you have been happy with the price that you agreed to pay for the cruise?

If no, you shouldn't have booked at that price expecting the price to go down.

If yes, just pretend that the price never dropped and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 4

Final payment means just that.  You are free to cancel and rebook if you want the new price and they will refund your money, less any penalties. 

Adjustments after the fact are at the discretion of NCL.

23 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Your booking is covered by the cruise contract you agreed to when you made the booking.

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

Guest Ticket Contract

1. Definitions: This Contract is between the Carrier and the Guest. The “Guest” is each person whose name appears on the face of this ticket and/or who uses the ticket for passage on the voyage described in the ticket, and includes any accompanying minors, and any of their heirs, successors, assigns or representatives. The word “Carrier” shall mean NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. doing business as Norwegian Cruise Line and shall include its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, assigns, as well as the vessel upon which the voyage was booked or any vessel substituted in its place, including the master and crew of the vessel(s) for Guest’s voyage.

2. The Contract: The Guest agrees that this Contract governs the relationship between the Guest and the Carrier, regardless of the Guest's age, whether the Guest purchased the ticket on his or her own behalf, and/or whether the ticket has been held and/or presented by another person on behalf of the Guest. The Guest agrees that, except as expressly provided herein, this Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Guest and Carrier, and shall supersede and exclude any prior representations that may have been made in relation to the cruise to the Guest or anyone representing him/her by anyone, including but not limited to anything stated in the Carrier's brochures, advertisements, and other promotional materials, by Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America employees or by third persons such as travel agents. 

You'll want to give careful consideration to the highlighted section prior to taking further action.

The more I have researched NCL and their reps it seems they have a history of pushing them to lie to customers. Lesson learned and last cruise with them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billctx said:

The more I have researched NCL and their reps it seems they have a history of pushing them to lie to customers. Lesson learned and last cruise with them. 

When is your cruise and are you past or before final payment due date? 

14 minutes ago, billctx said:

So one (well almost) and done huh.  Where did you do your "research"  FB?  Me thinks Carnival might be your line.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2

I'm sailing next month, and I notoriously check prices over and over. After booking our cabin price doubled. Then in the past 2 months the price of my cabin has dropped back down to where I got it at, and then kept slipping. Unless you're already in the best room on the ship, there are options. They may not be what you particularly want, but depending on how you approach the situation there are options.

We ended up upgrading from an MA (club balcony suite, ie. mini suite) to an SD (forward facing suite) for minimal cost. When the price was at it's highest that room was over 10K, and we ended up getting it for about half.

Once you get past final payment date, the options get more limited. But again, your best bet if you feel 'cheated' is to calmly talk to them about a cabin upgrade. You will never get a cash refund like on RCC, but you may get some of the difference in the form of a future credit. If you approach it in a threatening way and demand something they don't owe you, you'll be disappointed.

The other thing important for you to realize about NCL is that you'll get a different answer every other time you call them. Recheck pricing on your cruise, and calmly call them to ask what your options for compensation or cancellation are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billctx said:

Probably more of your misunderstanding of what the sales rep said. You can always cancel your cruise and rebook up to final payment. (You can also cancel after final payment for a penalty). 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

When is your cruise and are you past or before final payment due date? 

I booked in February for a July trip. As I mentioned this is a first cruise so not realizing the hazards of paying early I paid for the full cruise at booking. 

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Probably more of your misunderstanding of what the sales rep said. You can always cancel your cruise and rebook up to final payment. (You can also cancel after final payment for a penalty). 

I recorded the entire conversation on my phone. Zero misunderstanding as I have the recording. 

1 minute ago, billctx said:

I booked in February for a July trip. As I mentioned this is a first cruise so not realizing the hazards of paying early I paid for the full cruise at booking. 

Paying early has nothing to do with whether or not you are past the final payment date.

15 minutes ago, billctx said:

I recorded the entire conversation on my phone. Zero misunderstanding as I have the recording. 

NCL is in FL which by law requires 2 party consent to record a call, wondering if you informed the rep and if she/he gave you their consent?

• Like 1

My problem is not pricing it is expecting companies to behave ethically and not to hide behind the contract language and tell you something different to make the sale. I have paid for the trip and am going on it, I will just not use them again and want others to be aware that what your salesperson tells you doesn’t have to be accurate.  I am glad for you if you have had a better experience with them. 

Actually, your problem is that you're trying to inform people on a site whose members are informed enough that they are already aware of what you are only now learning. Likely a result of research, education, and experience beyond People magazine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

NCL is in FL which by law requires 2 party consent to record a call, wondering if you informed the rep and if she/he gave you their consent?

The first thing NCL says when they answer is this call is being recorded. Not sure how either party could say they were not aware. 

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Of course consent was requested and given for the recording. Anyone who expects companies to behave ethically is obviously ethical themselves. I'm sure the OP will have no issue in posting a copy of the recording so we can all hear it firsthand.

The first thing NCL says when they answer is this call is being recorded. Not sure how either party could say they were not aware. 

Yes but you implied you recorded the call when you said “I have…”. NCL informed you with their statement from which you could continue the call, thus accepting being recorded or you could have ended the call.

Just now, LGW59 said:

Yes but you implied you recorded the call when you said “I have…”. NCL informed you with their statement from which you could continue the call, thus accepting being recorded or you could have ended the call.

I did record the call but the point is NCL already stated the call is being recorded so both parties already consented to being recorded. There is not a separate consent per recording, it is either free to be recorded or not. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If the price never dropped, would you have been happy with the price that you agreed to pay for the cruise?

If no, you shouldn't have booked at that price expecting the price to go down.

If yes, just pretend that the price never dropped and enjoy your cruise. 

Darn logic

2 hours ago, billctx said:

I have the representative on a recording confirming she said this but that she was unfamiliar with the policies of her own company so basically to bad.  Pretty sure that is fraud.

Fraud requires intent to deceive.