Group Live Ruby Princess 4/16-4/30

CineGraphic

15 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Killin Timeis absolutely correct in their assessment of the lines at peak times. I dealt with it by eating at odd times and bringing food back to my room for snacking on later. I did have an advantage with Club class for dinner on 3 evenings and for lunch one day but I did experience the same difficulties getting specialty dining for 2 nights.  However by accepting a time and day  that was not my first or second choice we managed & had fabulous experiences.   I used the lido deck grill, room service & International cafe as well as eating lunches in port  on two days to have great meals the rest of the time. 
My nephew and friend used the buffet at off peak times and said it was fine. At peak hours they said it was a madhouse. They were happy with selections and quality.  That’s second hand news so take it as you wish. 

I am totally stoked about the new IC offerings and I think that’s going to be a huge help. 

Also the elevators outside of mornings were ridiculous.  My health ap shows I averaged walking 16 floors and 10,000 steps a day. I simply did not use the elevators.  If you can’t or won’t use the stairs I think you’ll have problems. 

The long lines at embarkation (& guest services & internet cafe& Ocean Front) were due to a poor roll out of the ArriveCAN requirements.   Watch the next few sailings and see how embarkation goes. I’d not use this first ArriveCAN sailing as the poster child for future sailings. 

I don’t think it is the roll out of the ArriveCAN app. It’s been in use a long time. It really isn’t that difficult. You just need your information handy when you  are ready to complete it. It doesn’t take more than 10 minutes, at most. Some of it you can do way beforehand. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Ok. I'm going to ask because I've been wondering throughout the vast complaints:::

Didn't your TA or CVP tell you weeks before the cruise to do the ArriveCan? It wasn't just sprung on anyone!! So whom should unaware passengers vent to -> CVP or TA for not forwarding emails or self-booking individuals for not getting it? Was there a breakdown? 

Who's fault was it? The unaware cruiser or their booking agent?? I got the emails from Princess and my planner and I ass-u-me that Canada has more to say about who can arrive than Princess. 

I do think that everyone who thought they shouldn't have to complete it once at the pier should have been separated into a 2nd line letting everyone who LISTENED go ahead of them. Maybe they would have downloaded it then instead of insisting AMERICANS don't need to. (Yes those 3 couples ahead of me were ignorant -- American? Which one? Canada,  USA, or Mexico? We are not the center of the universe)

Now everyone can be mad at me for not being sympathetic.  

We didn’t get any official notification until we started the cruise check in on the app. However my husband had been reading posts on Cruise Critic that referenced it and he filled out and printed our ArriveCan prior to our arrival at the port. We have had three prior post Covid cruises that went to foreign countries and we expected to fill out Canadian travel documents so it wasn’t a surprise. But I can understand why a lot of people were confused. 
But it was annoying that Princess lumped those of us who were prepared with everyone else…”There is only one line for everyone.” That was the extent of the communication at the port. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Ok. I'm going to ask because I've been wondering throughout the vast complaints:::

Didn't your TA or CVP tell you weeks before the cruise to do the ArriveCan? It wasn't just sprung on anyone!! So whom should unaware passengers vent to -> CVP or TA for not forwarding emails or self-booking individuals for not getting it? Was there a breakdown? 

Who's fault was it? The unaware cruiser or their booking agent?? I got the emails from Princess and my planner and I ass-u-me that Canada has more to say about who can arrive than Princess. 

I do think that everyone who thought they shouldn't have to complete it once at the pier should have been separated into a 2nd line letting everyone who LISTENED go ahead of them. Maybe they would have downloaded it then instead of insisting AMERICANS don't need to. (Yes those 3 couples ahead of me were ignorant -- American? Which one? Canada,  USA, or Mexico? We are not the center of the universe)

We didn’t get any official notification until we started the cruise check in on the app. However my husband had been reading posts on Cruise Critic that referenced it and he filled out and printed our ArriveCan prior to our arrival at the port. We have had three prior post Covid cruises that went to foreign countries and we expected to fill out Canadian travel documents so it wasn’t a surprise. But I can understand why a lot of people were confused. 
But it was annoying that Princess lumped those of us who were prepared with everyone else…”There is only one line for everyone.” That was the extent of the communication at the port. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

We can’t be mad at you for being unsympathetic when you are simply misinformed.  My experience was thus:

1. My PVP did NOT email at all about ArriveCAN (he later said he received an email from corporate the week before our departure about it but had not had time to read it until I emailed him on Tuesday) I do consider him to be an excellent PVP and I can only imagine that the subject line was as pedestrian as the one I finally got and did not indicate any emergency.  So no one was informed by Princess WEEKS in advance. We were finally emailed at 9 pm the night before boarding. The subject line was my booking number, name and “Booking Notification”. That’s it!  No mention of “important change” or “required to board please read”

2. No where in our Travel Summary documents was there any information about ArriveCAN. 

3. No where on any page in our cruise personalizer was there any information about ArriveCAN. 

I emailed my PVP Tuesday before boarding letting him know about the lack of information.  He brought it up in a department meeting Wednesday where all agreed better communication was needed. Maybe that’s why the email to us Friday?  

• Like 1

Then I've got an excellent PVP again. Not only did she tell me to do it, she confirmed that I did. But her instructions were less clear than I got on Cruise Critic 

Nevertheless when in line I was asked if I did it and was given this:

Screenshot_20220424-091652_Photos.thumb.jpg.2aa5d70973828f4694da8f647b98fe21.jpg

The 3 couples in front of me (mind you I was in the 1st 100 people) had a sticker put on their coat bc they were not given a card (4 actually but 1 did it immediately -- his sticker was removed and given a card the 2nd of 6 times I was asked). 2 insisted they were Americans. (That's kinda like saying I don't need a NZ Visa if going from Australia 😅🤣😂)

Disembarkation was a little confusing. I was sent down the wrong line to collect luggage but I'll own that. I should have clarified that I was Navy#1 

• Like 1

Need help::

Got 'addicted' to the vanilla tea in IC. Does anyone know which brand it is? I thought i took a picture of the tag but can't find it. Guess it didn't save

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Then I've got an excellent PVP again. Not only did she tell me to do it, she confirmed that I did. But her instructions were less clear than I got on Cruise Critic 

Nevertheless when in line I was asked if I did it and was given this:

Screenshot_20220424-091652_Photos.thumb.jpg.2aa5d70973828f4694da8f647b98fe21.jpg

The 3 couples in front of me (mind you I was in the 1st 100 people) had a sticker put on their coat bc they were not given a card (4 actually but 1 did it immediately -- his sticker was removed and given a card the 2nd of 6 times I was asked). 2 insisted they were Americans. (That's kinda like saying I don't need a NZ Visa if going from Australia 😅🤣😂)

Disembarkation was a little confusing. I was sent down the wrong line to collect luggage but I'll own that. I should have clarified that I was Navy#1 

I also got that card. My PVP was actually with me on the Discovery from April 10 to 17. While it was a working vacation he was limited to some degree by internet and also giving personal attention the 20 guests he had invited to join him. I’m giving him a pass.  We had a blast together on that sailing!  

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I also got that card. My PVP was actually with me on the Discovery from April 10 to 17. While it was a working vacation he was limited to some degree by internet and also giving personal attention the 20 guests he had invited to join him. I’m giving him a pass.  We had a blast together on that sailing!  

No wonder he didn't remind you!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I don’t think it is the roll out of the ArriveCAN app. It’s been in use a long time. It really isn’t that difficult. You just need your information handy when you  are ready to complete it. It doesn’t take more than 10 minutes, at most. Some of it you can do way beforehand. 

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

While it’s true the ap is quick (if you have quality internet ) and easy to use, no one even knew to do it. The poor communication led to this and the ap was the problem since internet on the ship didn’t support download it. 

• Like 2

I agree that communication and poor internet lead to problems but I am just having a hard time understanding why some people don’t research entry requirements for the countries they are visiting.  It’s like they can’t think for themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm confused......doesn't anybody read their travel summary?   ArriveCan is listed right under "Important Notices".    I don't know what people are doing, because the FIRST thing I do is read something that says "Important Notices".

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.45.05 AM.png

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I agree that communication and poor internet lead to problems but I am just having a hard time understanding why some people don’t research entry requirements for the countries they are visiting.  It’s like they can’t think for themselves.

This.  I can't imagine waiting til I get to the pier and hope, just hope I can figure out what I need standing in line even if their is cell coverage.  Geez, at almost 70 I can't even see the screen without my glasses.  Imagine me standing in the sun trying to read the screen on my stupid phone with both my glasses AND my sunglasses on.  Though fairly computer literate, I have yet to figure out apps, or why you even need them.  And no, I don't know (or care to know) my app store password.  Bottom line: read the info before you leave.  Read your e-mails.  Read the FAQs.  Do your due diligence.  And if an app is really what's needed, then figure that out at home even if you have to call your favorite 6 year old.  Get your ducks in a row before you leave your house.  

• Like 9

4 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

I can confirm that percentage is exactly 50% in our domain... I tell hubby months out that we're going on a cruise, and 2 days before we leave he starts thinking about what to pack - I take care of everything else HAHA! 

Sounds just like my household.🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

I can confirm that percentage is exactly 50% in our domain... I tell hubby months out that we're going on a cruise, and 2 days before we leave he starts thinking about what to pack - I take care of everything else HAHA! 

Same in our domain….can’t tell you how many times we are on our way to cruise terminal, train station, vacation and he says “hey….did you bring any money?”  🙄🙄🙄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, sammyjoanne said:

I know with SF (boarding ruby 16th april) we had to do a lateral flow test before boarding which we had to show when in the terminal building. We went to a place called OnPoint covid testing on Folsom Street. We had to take a test before getting to the US, but as we had planned to go to go sight seeing for 3 days in SF, we knew we had to do another one before boarding the ship, as the one in the UK would have expired at that point.

Testing was straight forward and they sent the details via email, which was a case of logging in and you could take a screen shot from your phone, or we went to the hotel and we did it on their computer and printer so we had a hard copy.

OK I'm going to hijack this excellent thread and ask where you stayed and how you liked it.  We're staying three nights pre-cruise in Sept.

47 minutes ago, clueless2 said:

OK I'm going to hijack this excellent thread and ask where you stayed and how you liked it.  We're staying three nights pre-cruise in Sept.

We stayed at the Hilton on o'farrell street near union square. highly recommend mason cafe for breakfast. Powell street for the trolley cars, and big bus tour. the main branch is next door to hilton main entrance and stop 6 is on mason street round the corner. worth getting off at golden gate park and golden gate bridge and pier 39 🙂  Johnny foley is a great irish bar and restaurant 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm confused......doesn't anybody read their travel summary?   ArriveCan is listed right under "Important Notices".    I don't know what people are doing, because the FIRST thing I do is read something that says "Important Notices".

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.45.05 AM.png

True. While I was completely prepared I do understand why many weren’t.  ArriveCAN is not a Visa, Americans don’t need visas to enter Canada. The requirement is mislabeled with a heading that does not apply to many on that sailing.  I understand why some didn’t read that section. I certainly didn’t. I found out by googling what do I need to travel to Canada now. I’m just trying to be sympathetic to people who I feel Princess let down by not listing this ArriveCAN ap in their checklist of things to do in the medallion class ap. That green lane designation is very misleading. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Need help::

Got 'addicted' to the vanilla tea in IC. Does anyone know which brand it is? I thought i took a picture of the tag but can't find it. Guess it didn't save

They use Mighty Leaf for the ginger twist I’m addicted to so maybe the same? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sammyjoanne said:

Cruise 16/4/22- 23/4/22 -Thats a shame. Once was at Da vinci's (had anytime dining, and had not pre booked a table) and there was a queue there but that was not for long, only 15 mins.

3 times we ate at the horizon buffet at 7pm, then once at 9pm (we ate about 3pm that day after a trip), and both times no issues. Morning buffet was busy when it came down to seating issues, but we used seating at the back, I think it was called Caribe cafe? Only other issue was when medalion app and ordered drinks once, only to find they were delivered to someone else, but they quickly remedied this.. Parents who had been cruising for a while, told us to avoid the buffet on embarkation as everyone all heads there for food not long after entering the ship, and they was right. It was packed, so we went for salty dog hot dogs with zero queues.

The MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day.

35 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

True. While I was completely prepared I do understand why many weren’t.  ArriveCAN is not a Visa, Americans don’t need visas to enter Canada. The requirement is mislabeled with a heading that does not apply to many on that sailing.  I understand why some didn’t read that section. I certainly didn’t. I found out by googling what do I need to travel to Canada now. I’m just trying to be sympathetic to people who I feel Princess let down by not listing this ArriveCAN ap in their checklist of things to do in the medallion class ap. That green lane designation is very misleading. 

I agree with you on this, if Princess wants to insist on using the app, they they should get their s%$t together and put that on the app as well.    I can see how that would be confusing to most people.

I guess I'm one of those that just reads the fine print.   My DH on the other hand wouldn't bring his passport, take a covid test, do the ArriveCan, etc.   He'd be one of those people begging someone younger than him to help him out....LOL

1 hour ago, sammyjoanne said:

We stayed at the Hilton on o'farrell street near union square. highly recommend mason cafe for breakfast. Powell street for the trolley cars, and big bus tour. the main branch is next door to hilton main entrance and stop 6 is on mason street round the corner. worth getting off at golden gate park and golden gate bridge and pier 39 🙂  Johnny foley is a great irish bar and restaurant 🙂

Powell Street has cable cars.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Powell Street has cable cars.

Sorry yes they called them that in San fransisco, I just had this habit of calling them a trolley car from my parents and grandparents day when they went to San Francisco (were UK). When we hear cable car, we think of the gondolas that go up at ski resorts, or the heights of Abraham our local beauty spot 🙂 https://www.heightsofabraham.com/

Edited by sammyjoanne

8 minutes ago, sammyjoanne said:

Sorry yes they called them that in San fransisco, I just had this habit of calling them a trolley car from my parents and grandparents day when they went to San Francisco (were UK). When we hear cable car, we think of the gondolas that go up at ski resorts, or the heights of Abraham our local beauty spot 🙂 https://www.heightsofabraham.com/

Here I was thinking you were referring to the Heights of Abraham in what is now Quebec and the battle of September 13, 1759 during the Seven Years War.

https://canadianmilitaryproject.com/french-indian-wars/french-indian-wars-battles/battle-abraham/