Worried booked flights same day

San01

I am now worried as new to cruising and booked a NCL cruise in oct departing from UK to Rome, flights booked through cruise with BA flying in to Rome 10.30am, boat departs 5pm

I have started reading posts and it seems all fly day before, NCL never said to do this and being new I thought it was ok, I feel sick now especially as paid for non flexible flights so I can’t change them 

any advice appreciated 

Flying in the day of the cruise is not optimum, however as you have booked flights and transfers through the cruise line, they will do their absolute best to get you to the port.  Arriving in FCO at 10.30 should mean that you will be at the port by 2.30 latest.

You are going to have an early start though!  Have you asked NCL how much it would cost to fly in a day early?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Flying in the day of the cruise is not optimum, however as you have booked flights and transfers through the cruise line, they will do their absolute best to get you to the port.  Arriving in FCO at 10.30 should mean that you will be at the port by 2.30 latest.

You are going to have an early start though!  Have you asked NCL how much it would cost to fly in a day early?

As I booked non flexible flights they will not change them, I’ve had to pay for them up front 

OK, look at it another way.  Most of the recommendations to fly in a day early relate to trans Atlantic flights or for flights trans USA, where you can run into exceptional weather, missed connections, etc.  With an European flight you are in a much better position as there is less chance of weather causing problems and you have a direct flight.  

Your 'insurance' is booking through the cruise line, so let them sweat it!  Remember that the nightmare stories of missing departures that are published here are a tiny minority.  The vast majority of cruisers reach their ships in plenty of time and lots of them fly in the day of cruise.

Mark it down to the 'learning experience' and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, San01 said:

I am now worried as new to cruising and booked a NCL cruise in oct departing from UK to Rome, flights booked through cruise with BA flying in to Rome 10.30am, boat departs 5pm

I have started reading posts and it seems all fly day before, NCL never said to do this and being new I thought it was ok, I feel sick now especially as paid for non flexible flights so I can’t change them 

any advice appreciated 

We are fortunate enough to do a significant amount of travel annually - much of it including  a relatively long cruise component requiring intercontinental air. Pre-retirement, I also spent my fair share of time in airports for both domestic and international business travel.

Air travel issues are NOT as rare as some folks would have you believe - particularly when you have intercontinental layovers. Weather and/or mechanical delays/cancellations, ground transfer problems, “lost luggage,” et al. can always happen and predictive “odds” are worthless when you’re the person getting the “bad news.” 

That said (and considering the $$$ investment in each and every cruise),  know that we would NEVER fly to an embarkation port on day of departure - even just to LAX from SFO.

If the flight is domestic and non-stop with multiple other identical flights each day from SFO, we still plan on, at the very least, one night pre-cruise in the embark city. If it’s somewhere we enjoy (pretty much anywhere other than Swampl*ndia), we add a longer land stay (Safari in Africa, Broadway binge in NYC pre- cruise...) and often do the same with land stays post cruise since we seldom do RT cruises. 

We use trusted private car services (with a backup network) for airport transfers and still, in the case of SFO, we will spend one night at an SFO hotel if our next day flight is before noon.

For intercontinental air, we prefer United Airlines and most of its Star Alliance partners (if for no other reason than United answers the phone and our FF status gets some priority if rebooking and/or tix “reassignment” becomes necessary). If non-stop flights are not available, we choose routes with major connector hubs (e.g., Frankfurt In Europe) with minimum layovers of 3 hours (for all of the obvious reasons). And we always plan on, at least, two nights pre-Cruise In the embark city.

Overly cautious? Not really - when you consider that the cost of flexible air routing and a pre-Cruise “buffer” of no less than two nights in a hotel pre-cruise comprise reasonable insurance for what is often a “five figure”month long cruise. 

Bottom line: Don’t be “pennywise and pound foolish.” 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, San01 said:

any advice appreciated 

Clarification, please.

Depart UK at 10.30? If so, which airport

Or flight scheduled to arrive Rome  at 10.30?  

JB 🙂

35 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Clarification, please.

JB 🙂

Good question -- but it would be hard to understand NCL booking a flight departing UK at 10:30  -- particularly as they have an implied obligation to get the passenger on board as they have assumed the whole package.

I am still in awe about why someone would fly across a continent to get to Rome (of all places) without building in a little time to see a bit of Rome --- but then, we are talking about someone who wants to sail NCL in the first place.

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am still in awe about why someone would fly across a continent to get to Rome (of all places) without building in a little time to see a bit of Rome --- but then, we are talking about someone who wants to sail NCL in the first place.

Flying across a continent???  Come on it's a two and a half hour flight.  In US you would call it a commuter flight.

There is no need to be so disparaging about someone asking for information on their first cruise.  We were all there once.  Even great and wise travellers such as yourself. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Clarification, please.

JB 🙂

Hi

we depart uk at 7am from Heathrow and arrive at 10.30 to FCO Fuimicino

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

OK, look at it another way.  Most of the recommendations to fly in a day early relate to trans Atlantic flights or for flights trans USA, where you can run into exceptional weather, missed connections, etc.  With an European flight you are in a much better position as there is less chance of weather causing problems and you have a direct flight.  

Your 'insurance' is booking through the cruise line, so let them sweat it!  Remember that the nightmare stories of missing departures that are published here are a tiny minority.  The vast majority of cruisers reach their ships in plenty of time and lots of them fly in the day of cruise.

That is what I’m starting to think as all posts I read came from the USA to Europe 😄

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Couldn't resist a bit of disparaging sarcasm?  Too bad, because it diminishes your input.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, San01 said:

Hi

we depart uk at 7am from Heathrow and arrive at 10.30 to FCO Fuimicino

Then I don't see what all the fuss is about 🙂

If the flight's on-time, about an hour to clear airport formalities & another hour to the ship, means that in theory you can be aboard  by 12.30.

Of course reality takes longer than theory, but you have about 3 hours of wiggle-time.

I used to drive ships' transfer coaches from LHR or LGW to Southampton on the morning of cruise departures - my coach & between 10 & 15 others, most of those hundreds of passengers from North America, 6 to 13 hours away compared to your little 2 1/2 hour hop.

We do tend to fly a day or three early, partly for peace of mind but mainly to explore the departure port.

But sometimes we've "been there, done that", or home & work commitments sometimes preclude flying the day before.. 

Put your worry-beads away 🙂

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good question -- but it would be hard to understand NCL booking a flight departing UK at 10:30  -- particularly as they have an implied obligation to get the passenger on board as they have assumed the whole package.

Excellent.

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

LOL re: “insurance.”

Read the Ticket Contract and T&Cs. When it comes to the cruise line’s responsibility for air arrangements, it is only to act as a TA and sell tix and rebook as needed. There is NO promise or guarantee by the cruise line to have their ship wait for you or cover any costs related to getting you to the next port should a flight issue delay your embark city arrival. 

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

LOL re: “insurance.”

Read the Ticket Contract and T&Cs. When it comes to the cruise line’s responsibility for air arrangements, it is only to act as a TA and sell tix and rebook as needed. There is NO promise or guarantee by the cruise line to have their ship wait for you or cover any costs related to getting you to the next port should a flight issue delay your embark city arrival. 

That's an interesting point, Flyer.

But there may well be differences between Cruise Air contracts booked in the USA and those booked in Europe.- there certainly are in cruise contracts. 

Cruise lines can't contract out of their legal obligations to advertise honestly, to provide broadly what they sell, and to take reasonable care. Consumer laws are much more consumer-friendly in Europe than in the US.

So perhaps avoid being so dismissive. 😉

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Flying across a continent???  Come on it's a two and a half hour flight.  In US you would call it a commuter flight.

There is no need to be so disparaging about someone asking for information on their first cruise.  We were all there once.  Even great and wise travellers such as yourself. 

Very few people in the US COMMUTE by 2 1/2 hour daily flights each way. And, yes, the UK IS on the northern side of the European continent while Italy is usually seen as being in southern Europe - so, flying from London to Rome IS flying across the continent.

And, because a number of first time cruisers read these posts,  suggesting that, if you are flying to Rome from somewhere else to join a cruise, it might be a good idea to allow a bit of time to see a city which most people believe is rather worth seeing.  So, it could be thought that a wise traveller should be inclined to make such a suggestion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

That's an interesting point, Flyer.

But there may well be differences between Cruise Air contracts booked in the USA and those booked in Europe.- there certainly are in cruise contracts. 

Cruise lines can't contract out of their legal obligations to advertise honestly, to provide broadly what they sell, and to take reasonable care are much more consumer-friendly in Europe than consumer laws in the US.

So perhaps avoid being so dismissive. 😉

JB 🙂

I have been on a number of sailings (from US and European ports) where departure from port of embarkation was delayed substantially -- with the reason given was that certain flights carrying passengers had been delayed --- and the most likely reason for the line to even be aware that prospective passengers were even on those flights is most likely to have been that they had been put on those flights by the cruise line.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have been on a number of sailings (from US and European ports) where departure from port of embarkation was delayed substantially -- with the reason given was that certain flights carrying passengers had been delayed --- and the most likely reason for the line to even be aware that prospective passengers were even on those flights is most likely to have been that they had been put on those flights by the cruise line.

Ditto, NBT.

But II don't get your point ???

JB 🙂

10 hours ago, San01 said:

any advice appreciated 

I have not read many of the responses but am sure most say not do fly in the same day of the cruise.  And, they are absolutely correct it is safer to not do that. 

For whatever it is worth, we have flown in the morning of many, many times.  That includes multiple times  for cruises leaving out of Southamption and Civitavecchia,  both of which are a fair ride from the nearest major airport.  We have never encountered a problem.  I'm not saying it is a best practice or even recommending it.  But if it is any comfort, it is frequently done and mostly without issue .   That you purchased the flight thru NCL is a plus I think.  

Enjoy!  

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That said (and considering the $$$ investment in each and every cruise),  know that we would NEVER fly to an embarkation port on day of departure - even just to LAX from SFO.

"NEVER"

Kind of funny.  I've flown and even driven from SF Bay Area to San Pedro the morning of multiple times.  

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Interesting.  I always kind of thought my taking a non-stop red-eye from San Francisco to say LHR was less likely to have delays compared to regional or even US east coast departures.  We don't have too much adverse weather.  Once wheels up out of SFO we are 35K+ feet up all the way over!  Not too much to cause delays.   But, add a connection and it is an entirely different story.