I Can’t Believe P Charges for Internet!

patrickmoran

25 minutes ago, franktown said:

That's terrible.

I didn’t think it was great but don’t know what’s routine at sea. If that’s the best Wi-Fi at sea as Princess promotes MedallionNet don’t think it’s great. Discovery was sailing at about 60% capacity so doubt if that speed is a result of over usage.

I only used it for internet & email which worked okay & got the same speed along the Baja coast between LA & Cabo.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Let me add that most of the functions in the Medallion app don’t work. If I had the drink package I’d be pissed. You can’t order anything. I’ve been trying it at different times and it only worked once. I asked a guy at the Medallion desk and he was clueless. 
I think P either did an update that went horribly wrong or got a new vendor/contractor who’s incompetent!

• Like 2

Someone on the current Enchanted Princess Transatlantic has been complaining on another social media site that they have had no internet for days - they managed to use local wi-fi when they arrived at the Azores but it does sound as though something fundamental has changed with the Princess offering.

I have been wondering something for a while - the reports of a slowdown/complete lack of Princess internet service on certain ships seems to have coincided somewhat with the outbreak of hostilities in Ukraine.  Could it be Princess satellite internet provider has a bunch of bandwith being eaten up by/dedicated to Media/government/private telecom providers that are using the same sattellite service?

Not defending Princess, but as it seems more endemic on their Atlantic based fleet headed to Europe for the summer I just have to wonder if there isn't some larger knock-on effect?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

I’m on the Regal now in the Med and the internet is so slow. It’s hard to do anything. It is not a satellite/position issue. I’ve been on 3 post-Covid cruises and the internet was great. Fortunately I’m Elite so $5/day for lousy service isn’t too bad but this is not what I would expect from a “premium”cruise line. 

Calling Princess a premium cruise line is the equivalent of calling Denny's fine dining.

DON

• Like 1

I will chime in on this. We took the Caribbean Princess in 2018. It may have one of the 1st Medallion Class cruises. We paid for 7 days for 1 device. However the IT Dept aboard the ship connected our 2 iPhones as a courtesy. It worked great throughout the cruise to the Western Caribbean. No problems at all with connectivity and speed. 
I was asked by my sister if she should purchase internet service for their two iPhone 12 for our most recent cruise together on March 5, 2022 to the Mexican Riviera. I spoke highly of the service and said it was well worth the cost. Boy was I wrong and embarrassed. It was slow and constantly lost connection. Often times it took hours to reconnect. It sometimes took anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to send a text with a picture. Hearing her complain were like needles in my ear. She complained fiercely to guest services and they compromised to cut her charge in half. BTW, the on board IT people were of very little help. They had no answers.

• Thanks 1