The Daily for Monday 04/18/2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone from a sunny and cool Boston, perfect for the marathon runners today all of whom got blessed at mass yesterday morning. Ham radios are so interesting, hots off to the operators. I’m glad that monuments and historic site have their day.  Um, no to today’s dish. Interesting quote today although do you really think that it’s true?  The drink sounds refreshing.  I haven’t been to today’s port and will enjoy the photos.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Easter Monday Daily, Rich.

The sun is finally shining here which is so appropriate for Easter Monday 🙂

E6CEF400-5441-4839-A03F-E21CA5701432.thumb.jpeg.c0d23faa005df8b3a91820aed01fca1b.jpeg

Nice collection of days.  The Boston Marathon is very popular.  DH enjoyed it.  I’ll celebrate all the wonderful monuments and sites in the word that are there for each of us to discover and be amazed by.

F1C4D1D0-DA06-43E4-9C34-B702D9153699.jpeg.26867677d1d45eb9338af9ecd5c716a2.jpeg

Love today’s quote.  I’m with @dfishand will pass on the connective tissue for today 😉   Not a fan of today’s port.  We’re just not beach people and prefer more culture & sites and monuments but I know lots love it.

B83E01FF-D504-4F05-B64E-BCCFCD34145B.jpeg.1ff078c2a33f426acb477024e1c16aca.jpeg

@Crazy For CatsThanks so much for sharing the tooting from N Statendam’s sail a way 👍 

@dfishI hope your doctor has some answers on your CT scan and blood tests (nothing bad, of course 😉 ) so you can be pain free 🤞 

8A63D3D2-F362-42F3-9658-A86EE9AB97D5.jpeg.b5e7a4cd10521e5be9f1b56e54612501.jpeg

Busy day today with final meetings with both the lawyer and accountant.  Looks like we have real mess coming in weather wise so I’ll hopefully have the energy to go to the hospital today before it hits 🤞 The hospital got more shields in yesterday and the nurse offered me one.  Much better and lighter than the goggles and DH can see my eyes 👍 

We had a lovely evening last night with Pepe (his real name is Jose but we used the nick name to avoid confusion between the 2 Jose’s 😉) & Frances. They asked if I had any pictures so I showed them this video that my Ipad had created.:

IMG_0037.MOV 105.84 MB · 6 downloads  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Easter Monday, everyone !!!!!

31ECE115-F51C-4B09-AB05-53520EAC4C95.thumb.jpeg.884501d5faf94a9c7c6ab4db43fb7a66.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

I had real tears by the time I got to the end with Jose and  Marley.Thank you so much for sharing these  beautiful  memories  with us.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday morning.  Happy Birthday and anniversary to those I've missed last week.  Good luck to all in the Boston Marathon today.  Our neighbor just passed his Ham radio test and is putting up an antenna this week.  Have been to many of the Monuments/sites and they are chill giving.

Will pass on the meal.  Went to Amber cove 3 times on our 27 day cruise in January.  Didn't realize they sold it as 6 and 7 day segments.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution and stay safe.  Wear your mask when you feel the need.  My friends/family say I'm a sissy and just scared.  They are so right.

Cranberry Cooler:

Ingredients
1/4 cup cranberry juice concentrate thawed
1 tbsp simple syrup
2-3 drops peppermint extract
1/2 cup ice
12 oz. club soda or sparkling water
sugared cranberries and rosemary for garnish

Instructions
In a cocktail shaker, combine concentrate, simple syrup, extract, and ice and give it a couple shakes. Evenly seperate between two 8 oz. glasses.
Top off with club soda.
Garnish with sugared cranberries and a sprig of rosemary.

Notes

Make sugar cranberries fast by placing three on a toothpick, dipping them in simple syrup and rolling them in sugar.Add a shot of vodka or rum to each glass for an alcoholic version.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.49.07 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Happy Monday Dailyites!

Years ago, in another life when I lived in Boston, the Marathon was held on the 23rd of April.  That's my birthday (amazing how many April babies are Dailyites) ... my friends asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday, I said to them let me choose one thing, and if you have more time, you guys can choose the other...So we went to the matinee of Mahler's 2nd.  OMG!  That is such a beautiful piece of music, and then...they chose a baseball game at Fenway Park.  On the way to Fenway, the Boston Marathon was going by...All of this in one afternoon!  They took me back to my dorm after the game, and went on to do their own things, so my birthday night was pretty boring, but in all my years, that birthday was the most memorable. 

Thank you @richwmn for the port...I have actually been to.  Of course no pictures, but this port has been on our go to again list for a long time.  Early morning we were slowly cruising along a mountainous coast, green with jungle, sky clear and very blue, air cool.  We  got breakfast and finished up, just as we were docking,  ran down to our cabin and got our "bag" and headed off to our excursion.  NOT SO FAST!  Our excursion was to a girls orphanage, which had requested the need for art supplies and tooth brushes, and toothpaste, and deodorant, brushes, etc.  and when they checked our bag, they said we could not take these articles off the ship.  We explained our excursion to them, and they sent us up to the customer service desk, who said of course you can take that to them, that is part of the program, and down we headed to disembark, with a note in our hands, and again we were stopped, and again told that we could not take the items off the ship, and then we handed them our note, and they called the service desk, and then we were allowed off the ship.

The port where the ships dock is a Carnival made port.  Lots of little shops (worlds best coffee), there is a giant swimming pool there for ship guests, a water slide, and zip lining.  If you have no excursions, it is still a great little port to wander around or play in, but you are very far from town.

We boarded our bus, and we got a walking tour of the town center, visiting the church, the history of the town, the history of the country,  the problems they have sharing the island with Haiti,  we visited a few gift shops, and then headed to the orphanage,  were we got educated about the socialized system of the people.  These girls were not orphaned as in their parents had died, or left them, their parents were in jail for drug charges.  You do not want to be caught in this country with drugs!  So to take care of the children, they are placed in orphanages to get an education, and college in this country is free, as long as you graduated high school and hold a job.  Every one works.  

After our visit with the orphanage, we went into the mountains to visit a woman who makes cavva ? bread, and we all got free samples.  The mountains are beautiful, and DH and I spent our very brief time up there just (yup, taking pictures).  Dirt roads, and it was amazing how the bus driver got us up there, and turned around and drove us back down...to lunch, typical island fair, fruits, pasta, and chicken.  We did a brief drive by of the fort, and then headed back to the port.  We stopped for coffee.

The orphanage visits are no longer offered, I've seen the town, and I don't need to use the pool, DH and I want to go back up into the mountains, and that is what we will be doing in September.

I loved this country and it's people, but the people have got to learn to love their country.  Trash was every where, plastic, everywhere.  We were there in early May 2017, right before DH had his heart attack, going back, I'm hoping to see a bit of a clean up.

7b9ab9c3e1098f90fa309047637c8ffe.png

• Like 31
  • Haha 7

Good morning  from a cold NY.I went back to the "big" coat for dog walking earlier  today. Many cheers to the marathon  runners and spectators.I can't  quite agree with Marilyn  although I love to laugh....

I will pass on the recipe today and have not  even to the port.

@dfish,I will be thinking of you today and hope that you can find out what is wrong.

@Cruzin Terri, OK I am now officially worried  and ask that you repeat the test.Sorry but the symptoms are what worry me.I am so sorry  you are feeling sick so far away from home.

.Happy Birthday to Martha and Jim

Terry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

@Cruzin Terri, OK I am now officially worried  and ask that you repeat the test.Sorry but the symptoms are what worry me.I am so sorry  you are feeling sick so far away from home.

Terry

I plan to wait until tomorrow and if I am not doing better I will call and ask for a repeat test.

Thank you for Jim’s birthday wishes.

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I salute all the Boston Marathon runners; I'm more of a stroller, not a runner.  As a child, one of our neighbours was an amateur radio operator; I remember the gigantic tower they had in their back yard.  We enjoy visiting different monuments when we travel.  Not sure I agree with today's quote.

A nice bright sunny day in the offing for us today with temps heading up to +9C which will be lovely.  There are still little fingers of glaciers in the back yard that hopefully will disappear after today's heat.  We'll enjoy the warmth today because there's some snow forecast for us for Tuesday and Wednesday - hopefully it won't amount to much more than a little moisture.  

@sailingdutchyHappy Birthday to Martha - it was great "seeing" you on the webcam yesterday!

@Cruzin TerriHappy Birthday to Jim!  Sorry you're still under the weather - hopefully your fever will break soon and you'll be able to be out and about with your DH.

@kazufirst, I'm so happy you had a nice dinner with your considerate friends - I'm sure it was a much needed break for you.  Second, what a beautiful video of Jose - although we've not met, I'm sure he would have made a great travel companion for DH.

@dfishI hope the results will show something that can be corrected so you don't have to live with the pain.

It was a quiet Easter Sunday for the two of us yesterday, but I remember the days when I'd spend time in the early morning darkness, hiding Easter eggs in the front and back yards for our son.  Speaking with him yesterday, instead of doing an outdoor egg hunt, they made it easier by hiding eggs all around the house.  Apparently both boys had a lot of fun trying to find them all.   Speaking of Easter eggs:

Adulting.thumb.jpg.e8a2bb8b502d07e7fbc70519bf72230c.jpg

When I first read today's menu suggestion, I sort of threw up in the back of my mouth just thinking about it.  After seeing @dfish's alternative suggestion, I realized we've eaten the Japanese version a couple of times while in Japan and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Hard no on the connective tissue though.  We have a lot of the turkey breast left from yesterday's dinner, so I think we'll be having hot turkey sandwiches and some steamed vegetables for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the brave people of Ukraine and all who are providing assistance to them.  Extra prayers also for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll salute all on the happy list with a *clink* of our glasses tonight.  Be safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, wash your hands and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  It's around 62F with a high of 70, cloudy all day and a slight chance of rain.  Last night they said it would rain all day so I don't think anyone really knows.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Good luck to the runners today in Boston.  I know they've trained hard for this event.  Amateur radio operators have an interesting hobby.  And our monuments and sites are an important part of our past.  I agree with Julia @JAM37that people need to stop trying to tear down our history.  I'm certain I would not like the tendon dish today so no thanks!  The quote is not very complimentary to women IMO.  I haven't been to Amber Cove before.  Is that a beach port built by the cruise lines like Huatulco, Mexico or is it an actual town?  I will be interested in seeing photos and hearing about it.  This is the first time it's come up as destination of the day.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists today.  Prayers for all listed and even if you're not, I pray for all our Daily friends.  I always pray for Ukraine and the people there who have done nothing wrong and are being attacked for political gain.  Thanks and prayers go to those helping all of these innocent people.  A shout out for all on the Celebration list.  I hope you are all having a great day and/or cruise.  I left a message for DD to text me if she gets any updates on her baby, Gracie.  I'm staying positive she will be improved today and coming home this evening where her parents will give her plenty of love and attention.

Thanks to @Crazy For Catsfor bringing us the YouTube video of the longest cruise ship horn blast of the 2022 season (so far).  I was there with the rest of you listening as we watched the N.S. sail out of Port Everglades.  That was something else!  And we saw Tony @sailingdutchy and Martha!  Happy 39th birthday again to Martha!  Also happy birthday to Terri's DH, Jim.  Hope Terri is feeling better soon.  That fever must not be fun.  Debbie @dfishgood thoughts coming your way today as you get results from your scans.  Hope something can be found and they can help you with your pain.  Welcome home to Charlene @cunnorl!  Really enjoying the memes today Ann  @cat shepardand Jacqui @kazu.  Your Easter dinner with friends sounded so nice.  It was great of them to be so thoughtful to you.  And your video of photo memeories was quite touching.  Great idea to put that together.  Hope your day isn't too stressful with the meetings and drive back and forth to the hospital.  Prayers for you and Jose both!

Have a great day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Snowing here in MI where is our spring?   

@kazuThank you for sharing your happy memories in the video.  It is so nice to see the pictures of people we communicate with on the Daily and pray for.   ❤️

@dfishThank you for the recipes and clarifying what Tendon is.  We used to go to Mikado restaurant at the Marriott in Cancun and they had the Tendon you posted and it was excellent.   I hope that you get the results that you need to get to the bottom of your pain.  

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I plan to wait until tomorrow and if I am not doing better I will call and ask for a repeat test.

Thank you for Jim’s birthday wishes.

Terri

I hope that you feel better.  If your ship isn't doing the forced relocation as HA does you may want to get a test earlier.  All of the ships are stocking the new medication to prevent Covid from progressing and they are best taken in the first 5 days of infection.   Thank you for sharing the Nieuw Statendam's horn blasts.   Happy memories of the ship from earlier this year.    

I remember when it was publicized more when the Boston Marathon was running and it think it was televised.  I love football but we could do one less draft prediction show to see the marathon.   My brother is a Ham radio operator.    He loves talking to people from around the US.   Some of our most historic sites have no monuments like the Civil War battlefields.   I wonder if there is one at the Little Big Horn? 

I don't think MM's quote makes much sense.   Cranberry Cooler has mint so a pass.    The wine sounds good but pricy.    We were in Amber Cove twice, first on the Zuiderdam 2019 and this winter on the NS.  We did not have any excursions planned.    They have great prices on Rum.  We always take the Tuk Tuk to and fro,   

Amber cove rainbow.jpg

dominican sunset.jpg

Dominican sunset 2.jpg

DR flag  222.jpg

DR rum 222.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Kind of a mixed bag here.   Blood tests were contradictory and so not able to make a diagnosis.  We'll rerun them in a year.  That is a long time to wait, in my opinion.  But, I can't order the tests.  

However, he is still referring me to a surgeon for a couple of reasons.  The mass has grown from 2.7 cm to 3cm by 4 cm since April.  The mass is not homogeneous.  The pain is increasing.   I also have gall stones, but they are asymptomatic.  So, we'll see what the surgeon says.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 21

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Kind of a mixed bag here.   Blood tests were contradictory and so not able to make a diagnosis.  We'll rerun them in a year.  That is a long time to wait, in my opinion.  But, I can't order the tests.  

However, he is still referring me to a surgeon for a couple of reasons.  The mass has grown from 2.7 cm to 3cm by 4 cm since April.  The mass is not homogeneous.  The pain is increasing.   I also have gall stones, but they are asymptomatic.  So, we'll see what the surgeon says.

I hope the surgeon  can help with both diagnosis and treatment. It has to be worrisome for you at this point.Sending hugs that will not increase the pain in the area.

• Like 22

@dfish-dumb question...but is the pain where the mass is?

the reason that i am asking, is that i have pain on my left side, above the hip and on the side, which is the side where my tumor is on the adrenal gland.  so just asking.  my doc never asks me about pain.

i cant help but think in my case that the original doctor who misdiagnosed it, is running the show of the office, and keeping the other docs from asking me the right questions.  I know, i need to get a new doc.

I hope they can find you a good resolution to your pain.

• Like 23

Belated Easter greetings to all and birthday greetings to those celebrating today and over the past two weeks. I have read every day but didn’t post because life git in the way. We had a vinyl fence installed and a two day job turned into two weeks because of rain and how wet the yard already was. They finished on Maundy Thursday and early Good Friday day morning we left for Richmond Virginia for a family reunion. Two of dh’s sisters live in the area and the third flew in from Germany. It has been 2 and three years since we have seen each other in person. We had a lovely Easter dinner, lamb, dumplings, gravy, roasted veggies, salad. I am looking forward to doing some shopping but am currently laid up with a bad back. If I only knew what I did to cause the problem I wouldn’t do it again. Flowers here a blooming and it will warm up after the next couple of days. So we will enjoy our family time. 

prayers for all that need them especially the Ukrainian people.  

dh and his sisters

933370BF-06A3-4957-8BC9-7CD1B8F7A5A1.jpeg

• Like 42

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

Really sorry the tests didn't help much.  Hopefully the surgeon has something to tell you that will help.  Hopefully that appointment isn't too far off.📅

Ironically I had just this morning set up a login to my medical portal, and read all the notes and test results from my physical exam last week.  Every test came back normal except my LDL cholesterol is very slightly elevated, but the HDL is good so a wash.  No vitamin deficiencies either, so my B-12 level should help my nerves to heal my numbskull, according to doc.  😛

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Happy Easter Monday for those who get the stat off. I hope they’re having better weather for the Boston Marathon than we’re getting here today. 
I hold an Advanced Amateur Radio license, but haven’t been on the air in years. My call sign is VE7 LMC. At one point I was up to 20 WPM in Morse code. There’s no way I could do that now, use it or lose it, as they say. 
We’ve never been to Amber Cove, but if all goes as planned it’s where we bring in the New Year of 2023. It will be the first time we’ve done a holiday cruise!
Todays plans seem to be washing out, if you’ll pardon the pun. I called HAL as soon as they opened this morning. After 45 minutes of hold music and being assured my call was important, the friendly robot lady told me they can’t take my call at this time and please try again later. I called the World Reservations number and got that message immediately. That was certainly better than the 45 minute hold for the same message.

I have two rose bushes to replace the ones that died over the winter. Today was going to be the day they went into the garden, but it’s raining hard. Oh well, that’s life.

Happy Monday, everyone! I wouldn’t mind the rain if seen through the windows of a BHB!

6151FDAB-2553-4F7B-B72D-B12ECBBB436F.thumb.jpeg.32605f5b9175d79eaf8091ca7d5d42cd.jpeg

• Like 24

Good afternoon.

We have just got home from our cruise.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Graham.

• Like 26

We were in Amber Cove a couple of weeks ago. It is a cruise-built port, but it was much more interesting than I expected it to be. Much nicer than Grand Turk...

It might have been a little bit calmer if we weren't sharing the port with Carnival's Mardi Gras!

293775153_DSC_0574(2).thumb.JPG.82a8ea53baa63d22f9f230cb2d0783e9.JPG

End of the pier-

DSC_0720.thumb.JPG.e29e969cc11b146c7d42170477a7b13a.JPG

Bar on the hillside-

DSC_0724.thumb.JPG.bf16dc02451f585b040d3b5de46f21f6.JPG

Huge pool with zip lines-

DSC_0671.thumb.JPG.36e5356155246da2ce2fb4b070157278.JPG

Cabanas over the water-

DSC_0682.thumb.JPG.8e4df64357e8964b390d5d5c655528ba.JPG

And lots of beautiful plantings-

DSC_0626.thumb.JPG.52d9c129c9971ae3c412516ed83f572c.JPG

DSC_0686.thumb.JPG.23c590bbde5832ee596c4e13c7b6f4d1.JPG