On Queen Mary now? Covid cases?

debbyma

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Masks in theaters is no longer required in Britain, United States, Canada and most of Europe. But of course Cunard knows better.

But according to this logic, why masks are required in the Illuminations? Is it to protect the stars and/or the movie actors?

The speakers presumably. There's really no point comparing rules in multiple countries and those in cruise ships. Or between different ships sailing in different jurisdictions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The speakers presumably. There's really no point comparing rules in multiple countries and those in cruise ships. Or between different ships sailing in different jurisdictions.

As far as I remember, illuminations is used for lectures, movies and as a planetarium. Cunard requires masks in illuminations no matter if there are live speakers or a movie. To me it makes zero sense.

Why there is no point to compare? It's the same people and the same virus. Most ships are easing the masks requirements or removing them. Whoever wants to wear a mask can continue doing it. In fact, it makes even less sense to enforce masks on a transatlantic sailing, considering all passengers are fully vaccinated, have a negative Covid test before the sailing and no ports are visited. 

51 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

As far as I remember, illuminations is used for lectures, movies and as a planetarium. Cunard requires masks in illuminations no matter if there are live speakers or a movie. To me it makes zero sense.

Why there is no point to compare? It's the same people and the same virus. Most ships are easing the masks requirements or removing them. Whoever wants to wear a mask can continue doing it. In fact, it makes even less sense to enforce masks on a transatlantic sailing, considering all passengers are fully vaccinated, have a negative Covid test before the sailing and no ports are visited. 

Maybe Cunard take the stance  it's easier to have a blanket edict rather than leave it to passengers to compute what is a live occasion with speakers, and non-live, films and the planetarium.

If mask protocols are still in place in months to come in certain areas of a ship, we will be quite pleased and I don't think I'm alone in this. I'm quite happy to wear a mask in a more crowded area of any ship, especially in lifts. We can avoid the theatre and choose whether to drink in bars etc, but lifts, we have no choice.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Maybe Cunard take the stance  it's easier to have a blanket edict rather than leave it to passengers to compute what is a live occasion with speakers, and non-live, films and the planetarium.

If mask protocols are still in place in months to come in certain areas of a ship, we will be quite pleased and I don't think I'm alone in this. I'm quite happy to wear a mask in a more crowded area of any ship, especially in lifts. We can avoid the theatre and choose whether to drink in bars etc, but lifts, we have no choice.

People who want to continue wearing masks can still do it. In fact, some "experts" claim that a single mask is not enough, you should wear a double mask. But people should have a choice. If you believe a mask protects you, me not wearing it should not impact you.

It's okay for a cruise line to do whatever they want, and some passengers will select a different line if they don't like it. 

What's not okay is to publish a policy on a website and then change it without a notice and have their passengers to find out only when they already on the ship and don't have a way back.

• Like 2

I thought the point about masks was that they might protect others.

i also thought there was a catch all proviso on the website saying things could change at any time. It certainly happened with our cruise, which saw masks being required in fewer places than expected. Luckily people tended to wear them anyway.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

People who want to continue wearing masks can still do it. In fact, some "experts" claim that a single mask is not enough, you should wear a double mask. But people should have a choice. If you believe a mask protects you, me not wearing it should not impact you.

It's okay for a cruise line to do whatever they want, and some passengers will select a different line if they don't like it. 

What's not okay is to publish a policy on a website and then change it without a notice and have their passengers to find out only when they already on the ship and don't have a way back.

I'm sure experts can be wheeled out for both sides of a mask argument and ones own take on the subject defines which side one agrees with.

I'll go with those who recommend masks for protection and reduced transmission.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm sure experts can be wheeled out for both sides of a mask argument and ones own take on the subject defines which side one agrees with.

I'll go with those who recommend masks for protection and reduced transmission.

And it's your choice - as it should be mine to take the opposite approach. And if you see someone without a mask, it's your choice not to come close to them.

Forcing everyone to be vaccinated and tested negative should provide enough margin of safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Masks in theaters is no longer required in Britain, United States, Canada and most of Europe. But of course Cunard knows better.

Here in the US, masks are not required by the government, but venues may have a mask and/or vax policy, so it is advised to check websites for mask and vaccination requirements before you go. 

I was at the ballet last week and it was mask and vax required. Also some of our museums still have a mask requirement. 

• Like 1

Just read a review from one the recent sailings:

"We were told by Cunard employees on the phone that mask is only required in the theater and medical office but when we got on board, mask was required everywhere indoor except when sitting in restaurants or lounges.

Their website is still saying "Face – while we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theater, cinema, or if you visit the medical center. "

I think private businesses can have any requirement they like but it should be spelled out in the contract at time of purchase except when there is regulation change from the authority."

Couldn't say it better..

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

And it's your choice - as it should be mine to take the opposite approach. And if you see someone without a mask, it's your choice not to come close to them.

Forcing everyone to be vaccinated and tested negative should provide enough margin of safety.

But clearly it doesn't. Neither does the wearing of masks. But to borrow a slogan, perhaps every little helps.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Just read a review from one the recent sailings:

"We were told by Cunard employees on the phone that mask is only required in the theater and medical office but when we got on board, mask was required everywhere indoor except when sitting in restaurants or lounges.

Their website is still saying "Face – while we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theater, cinema, or if you visit the medical center. "

I think private businesses can have any requirement they like but it should be spelled out in the contract at time of purchase except when there is regulation change from the authority."

Couldn't say it better..

Anyone who has booked a cruise since March '20 should be aware life isn't as uncomplicated as it should be and as has been said and is on the website

''things are liable to evolve''

eg change!

OK, many might conclude an easy get out if ''things'' do change and to a certain extent. I agree, but it's in black and white so go with it or transfer a cruise.

Edited by Victoria2
added I agree
  • Like 3

On 5/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, Host Hattie said:

No, anyone travelling during a pandemic has to be prepared for things to change at short notice.

Absolutely. If anyone is concerned about a possible major inconvenience such as being quarantined or  the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in some interior spaces they should just stay home.

The cruise industry must be very careful. It is subject to intense media scrutiny, which is not surprising considering what happened with some Princess Cruises ships in 2020.  If a ship arrived at a Canadian port with hundreds of very sick people who needed hospitalisation I think that will be the end of cruising to or from Vancouver, Halifax, Montreal & Quebec for a long time. I suspect the same action would be taken by other governments. 

Some may think that cruise lines are over-reacting, but they are in self-preservation mode. If we want to be able to take cruises or crossings we have to realise that and co-operate.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Absolutely. If anyone is concerned about a possible major inconvenience such as being quarantined or  the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in some interior spaces they should just stay home.

The cruise industry must be very careful. It is subject to intense media scrutiny, which is not surprising considering what happened with some Princess Cruises ships in 2020.  If a ship arrived at a Canadian port with hundreds of very sick people who needed hospitalisation I think that will be the end of cruising to or from Vancouver, Halifax, Montreal & Quebec for a long time. I suspect the same action would be taken by other governments. 

Some may think that cruise lines are over-reacting, but they are in self-preservation mode. If we want to be able to take cruises or crossings we have to realise that and co-operate.

Sail on Cunard or stay home are not the only choices.. There are other lines. We sailed on Oceania recently, no masks and no Covid cases. Maybe it's different on a small ship, I don't know.

Princess cases in 2020 were in a very different environment. No vaccinations yet, much more severe variant, no real knowledge what we are dealing with etc. Now everyone on board is vaccinated, and even if there are some cases, very few need hospitalization because this variant is so mild.

So yes, I definitely think Cunard is over-reacting, but more importantly, changing the rules without a notice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sail on Cunard or stay home are not the only choices.. There are other lines. We sailed on Oceania recently, no masks and no Covid cases. Maybe it's different on a small ship, I don't know.

Princess cases in 2020 were in a very different environment. No vaccinations yet, much more severe variant, no real knowledge what we are dealing with etc. Now everyone on board is vaccinated, and even if there are some cases, very few need hospitalization because this variant is so mild.

So yes, I definitely think Cunard is over-reacting, but more importantly, changing the rules without a notice. 

I think you might be missing something here...

When you travel on a ship at sea normal contractual rules do not apply.

It's much the same on a plane. The captain on a ship or the captain on a plane has absolute authority to take whatever action they consider is in the best interests of their passengers or plane or vessel.

I don't know about the reliability of the googled source but this appears to be the relevant reference to the legal text:

"The captain of a vessel still has overriding authority. That is to say, he can override any other demand made on him. It’s his word, on board the ship, that is law. This is enshrined both in the International Safety Management (ISM) Code Sec. 5.2 and in the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Chapter 5 Regulation 34-1, which gives the captain the right to make any call necessary in order to protect the life of persons on board or to safeguard the vessel."

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, D&N said:

It's much the same on a plane. The captain on a ship or the captain on a plane has absolute authority to take whatever action they consider is in the best interests of their passengers or plane or vessel.

I don't know about the reliability of the googled source but this appears to be the relevant reference to the legal text:

"The captain of a vessel still has overriding authority. That is to say, he can override any other demand made on him. It’s his word, on board the ship, that is law. This is enshrined both in the International Safety Management (ISM) Code Sec. 5.2 and in the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Chapter 5 Regulation 34-1, which gives the captain the right to make any call necessary in order to protect the life of persons on board or to safeguard the vessel."

You are missing the point. It’s not about legal authority. As they say, it’s Kosher but it stinks. 

Mask update : QM2  Sunday May 8th 

Guests sailing on the West Bound Crossing yesterday have been advised that Masks are now only mandatory when visiting the Medical centre. It would appear that the rule has been relaxed for the Theatre and when walking from one venue to another ?  no reference was made to other areas around the ship in the letter that was handed to everyone at check-in yesterday. 

How long this will stay in place is anyone's guess before it reverts back , apparently the above update does not apply to QE where masks are still required in certain venues. 

The exact wording in the letter states;  Whilst it is recommended that you wear a mask indoors on the ship, they are only required when visiting the Medical Centre . 

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Guests sailing on the West Bound Crossing yesterday have been advised that Masks are now only mandatory when visiting the Medical centre. It would appear that the rule has been relaxed for the Theatre and when walking from one venue to another ?  no reference was made to other areas around the ship in the letter that was handed to everyone at check-in yesterday. 

How long this will stay in place is anyone's guess before it reverts back , apparently the above update does not apply to QE where masks are still required in certain venues. 

The exact wording in the letter states;  Whilst it is recommended that you wear a mask indoors on the ship, they are only required when visiting the Medical Centre . 

They seem to be aligned with P&O who have recently just adopted the same protocol - good that there is some consistency. The Queen Elizabeth is travelling wider so that is probably why it has different rules. I have heard the Azura (based in the Med is also an exception to the P&O rule). I mention both of these because I wanted to make everyone aware that the recent rules do not seem to be hard and fast and it appears that some destinations, and infection rates onboard, can mean that masks are imposed which might annoy people that book thinking we are now definitely maskless from now on. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It's only maskless for those who would ignore a recommendation to wear masks indoors, perhaps not so many.

Just had an update from friends onboard QM2, they mention it was about 50/50 last night in the Theatre -those continuing  wearing a mask and those not . 

14 hours ago, D&N said:

True , but the Captain, is still constrained in that these orders must be reasonable and proportional. So for a captain to introduce rules out of line with head office and practice on other ships would leave him/her on very shaky ground and perhaps personally liable .

3 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Excellent news!!! Common sense finally prevailed.

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Are N95 masks still supplied in cabins or do we need to bring our own?

When mask wearing was compulsory a FFP2 Mask was supplied in your stateroom with other 3 ply Blue  masks available around the ship. 

IMG_2632.jpeg

18 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think you were fortunate when you cruised with Oceania.  Reading recent postings, it sounds as if some passengers on the Riviera had to be taken to an Italian hotel because they tested positive for covid.