Just notified for Grand LA-Vancouver on April 19--testing required at pier

rj59

20 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

did the extra test at the pier for Hawaii in January. Very efficient. One hour from Lyft drop-off, through testing, checkin and onboard.

Keith on Princess Passenger Facebook posted notice he got for today’s cruise on the Grand.  He followed up posting that they did indeed do the testing at the pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The difference is 35 people boarding with a false negative or developing infection vs 8.  While the risk of serious disease amongst a vaxxed population is low, the risk of infection, the spread to workers who need to be on the ship and the inconvenience of a bunch of asymptomatic/low-severity are real. 

Testing before the pier keeps people out of the pier.  Testing again at the pier keeps them off the ship.  That’s the part that matters. 

Thanks For that Great comment.....and now we go back to our regularly Scheduled Show " Reality 101"

8 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I wish that too, but the OP said test "again" so it looks like we would still need to do the other test. I'm expecting to get an email dropping the bomb on us that we'll need to test again at the pier on Saturday. That's going to be a mess.

Especially since i just ordered the test kits for around $77..

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Its got to be a Canada thing bc even in California morning news states that counties are not requiring us to quarantine ×5 days if asymptomatic  ... recommend but not require .... should stay home but don't need to. I'm confused but I'm a Californian

Adding: maybe it's bc the OP's cruise disembarks in Canada and the Canadians rightly don't want them quarantining there?? Guess I'll know soon ....

Then this could all be solved with a little common sense....Pass the exemption to the PSVA and just by pass Canada...Their the ones adding to all the stress with these Alaska Cruises...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

Pass the exemption to the PSVA and just by pass Canada...

From what I have read on the topic, it's just not that easy to repeal the PVSA, simply because it touches on several government entities.  The exemption was only granted last year because of need; that is why it was specifically crafted to last only as long as Canada kept it's borders closed to cruise ships.  The need is gone, and so is the exemption. 

What other government entities, you might ask?  The CBP for example.  If the ship never left US waters, by visiting only US ports, the CBP would require a different work visa for the crew.  If the crew never leave US waters, then they can no longer be called foreign crew, now can they?  So they lose the ability to qualify for the foreign crew visa, which is much easier to obtain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

for the last time:: the OP is on a cruise that begins in USA and ends in Canada. This may only apply to those embarking / disembarking in Canada. This may not apply to simply having a port call there. Will know Friday for boarding Saturday. Will post then

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are getting on the May 2 sailing of the Royal Princess out of Vancouver.  We can test two days before we sail.  If people get tested, then get on a plane without masks, and then board the ship with a two day old COVID test, this makes perfect sense to me!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

for the last time:: the OP is on a cruise that begins in USA and ends in Canada. This may only apply to those embarking / disembarking in Canada. This may not apply to simply having a port call there. Will know Friday for boarding Saturday. Will post then

Thanks Ombud!  I was wondering how this digressed into a discusion about bypassing Canada again. Which would not be helpful to those of us already booked on cruises embarking or disembarking in Vancouver. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

one more test at the pier is a HUGE deal, sorry regardless of vac status and "previous" testing - just ask those people who were negative showing up at the pier and then test positive with no symptoms - ask them if it's no big deal ...

Like others who have quoted you, I'm very confused. I mean of course it would be a big deal to those individuals who test positive at the pier, but to the (hopefully) vast majority, it's just another swab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, julia said:

You might be able to "mentally prepare" for the chaos at the pier, but it will be physically taxing as well...  try standing for 3-4 hours!

Yeah, Princess is going to need to provide us some chairs.  This is not going to work for me and so many others.  Also does not sound like a fun beginning to my vacay! 

8 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Thanks Ombud!  I was wondering how this digressed into a discusion about bypassing Canada again. Which would not be helpful to those of us already booked on cruises embarking or disembarking in Vancouver. 

Your right, i should have looked at the title of the thread more closely...My Bad...

The testing was pretty smooth. We entered the terminal, went to the first station in the check-in area, took the test. After about 10 minutes a whole group of us were cleared. We then continued through normal check-in and security. Boarded the ship about 11:10. 

It could have been so smooth because there are only 490 passengers on board.

My opinion only, but I think the testing is probably a result of the CDC Orange status. Either the CDC wants it or else Princess is trying to get the ship down to yellow or green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/19/2022 at 7:08 PM, dog said:

Keith on Princess Passenger Facebook posted notice he got for today’s cruise on the Grand.  He followed up posting that they did indeed do the testing at the pier.

1 hour ago, Cariboocruisers said:

The testing was pretty smooth. We entered the terminal, went to the first station in the check-in area, took the test. After about 10 minutes a whole group of us were cleared. We then continued through normal check-in and security. Boarded the ship about 11:10. 

It could have been so smooth because there are only 490 passengers on board.

My opinion only, but I think the testing is probably a result of the CDC Orange status. Either the CDC wants it or else Princess is trying to get the ship down to yellow or green.

Thanks so much.

first hand experience says it all!

• Like 1