Experiences with Abbott BinaxNOW™ for RC

My wife and I used this kit a couple of weeks ago. We ordered the 6 pack. Not so much because we were concerned it might be missing something, but because we were concerned, we might mess up, drop something, maybe do something wrong, come up with a potential false positive, or something else that might require a backup.

Therefore, we both took 2 of the kits with us in our carry-ons.  We only needed 1 kit each as everything went smoothly.

• Like 3

We’ve used the Binax now tests for 6 trips. We did have one kit that was missing a swab. We had extras so it was not a problem. EMed is replacing the defective kit. Other than that the home eMed testing has been very convenient and easy to do!

We've used this test once so far...very stressed about doing this...but it all worked out easier than I imagined. 

Now we're going to do our 2nd test in our hotel this weekend...and I'm stressing now about that. At least the first time I was at home and knew I had a good connection...fingers crossed !!

• Like 2

I bought the 6 pack from eMed.com.  Very easy to use. I just got my reimbursment check from my health insurane for the full amount, including shipping!! 
There are several videos on YouTube that take you through step by step. We watched a couple before we did ours. Waiting the 15 mins for the results is the only scary part  😄

• Haha 1

I've done it from an Airbnb room and also from home, and will do it again in a couple days.  

Never had any problem with it. Very convenient.

But yeah, that 15-minute wait until you get your results is like sitting in the bathroom waiting for a pregnancy test to finish!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't have anything missing, but ran into another problem.  The proctor seemed to take forever to give directions.  She'd say something then pause for what seemed like minutes.  I finally got to where I opened the box.

I was waiting for her next instructions when I was disconnected.  A message appeared on my screen stating something to the effect that my session was completed.

I called back and was unable to use that test because the box was opened before the actual test.  Fortunately, I had another test, so I used the new one.

When I returned from my cruise, I called EMED and told them what happened and what the proctor's name was etc.  They mailed me a replacement test which I will now use on my next cruise.

First used in November (had expiration date of Dec.) and no problems. Our March cruise (with expiration of Oct) and had trouble. So glad we brought extras. One package didn't have solution bottle in package. Proctor was watching and said contact Emed for replacement.  Don't know what we would have done if we didn't bring an extra in case! Poor wifi can cause lots of problems so make sure you are in a location with good strength. (we were in a hotel with poor wifi in room....will know next time!)

We did ours last night.  So easy, and the proctors were great.  We used our laptop.  The camera was on us at first, then the proctor would ask you to hold up the box to see the QR code/expiration date, then your ID.  They then had you tilt the camera down to the box sitting on the table and open the box.  Open the card, solution, put drops of solution on card, then open the swab.  Tilt camera back up to watch you swab, then tilt back down to watch putting the swab into the card.  They set a timer for 15 minutes and leave.  You can get up and walk around during the 15 minutes.  When the timer goes off, someone else connects, you tell them if you see one or two pink lines, hold up the card to the camera, and you're done!  They sent the results immediately to the app.  We signed into the app and printed our results.  

We have used them a few times with no problems. I had read that others had issues so I have always booked back up appointments at Walgreens and have cancelled as soon as we got our negative results from the home testing.

Edited by ownedbypets

6 hours ago, rdtpm64 said:

We did ours last night.  So easy, and the proctors were great.  We used our laptop.  The camera was on us at first, then the proctor would ask you to hold up the box to see the QR code/expiration date, then your ID.  They then had you tilt the camera down to the box sitting on the table and open the box.  Open the card, solution, put drops of solution on card, then open the swab.  Tilt camera back up to watch you swab, then tilt back down to watch putting the swab into the card.  They set a timer for 15 minutes and leave.  You can get up and walk around during the 15 minutes.  When the timer goes off, someone else connects, you tell them if you see one or two pink lines, hold up the card to the camera, and you're done!  They sent the results immediately to the app.  We signed into the app and printed our results.  

did you sign in on computer so that you could print out?  I am not setup to print from app on the phone

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

did you sign in on computer so that you could print out?  I am not setup to print from app on the phone

I find using a laptop is the easiest...I can then access my email and print the hard copy. It seems that having a hard copy works best considering the several staff in the terminal that have had to look at it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I also print out the hard copy that gets emailed to me as an attachment.  

I prefer having paper copies of my SetSail and COVID test, it's easier at check-in instead of flipping around between screens.

I also print these out. Only as a back-up though until I'm convinced the electronic versions will work flawlessly.

So far, electronic has worked. Still got my Plan B though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I also print these out. Only as a back-up though until I'm convinced the electronic versions will work flawlessly.

So far, electronic has worked. Still got my Plan B though.

I just hate all the fumbling around with screens and having the orientation change and people needing to zoom in and out and having the screen lock out and I have to unlock it and hand it back to the check-in person, blah blah blah.  

So much easier to just have each item printed out, folded to the appropriate parts, and handed all over -- no fumbling needed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

So much easier to just have each item printed out, folded to the appropriate parts, and handed all over -- no fumbling needed.

No fumbling needed? 

You must not remember when people drop all the papers, or when wife/hubby didn't put them back in the proper place, or when the other family of 5 forgot where just 1 of the family members put their paperwork.

Please.... The current electronic system has only been in place for a very short while. The old paper way was in place for 50 years and people still mucked it up. As I said on a different thread, if the electronic way can save the cruise line 1 hour of processing time while trying to process 3000 guests, it's worth the trouble in the beginning as us old people who fight change move along.

We had great experience testing with these from home to provide to the ship for boarding. We are looking at a Europe cruise now and concerned about also having to test to board our USA flight home....anyone done that on the ship and was the on-ship Internet good enough to do 30 minutes consecutive streaming (per person)? 

48 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

No fumbling needed? 

You must not remember when people drop all the papers, or when wife/hubby didn't put them back in the proper place, or when the other family of 5 forgot where just 1 of the family members put their paperwork.

I find it's easier for each person to hold their own papers...  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:52 AM, jhigdon said:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-emed-test-kit-rc-2-pack/

I'm interested in hearing about your experience in using this product to sail/meet the COVID sailing requirements. I've heard people say they opened their box and not all the items were there, and I'm wondering if that's a common issue.

We have used eMed for all of our cruises (Royal and NCL) with no problems at all. Fast. Easy. Efficient. Do my test at the kitchen table while sipping coffee. Test results within seconds of showing the proctor a negative result. Could not be more happy.... but we do have a spare kit in case there is a problem with the kit or with our test. 

We've always tested using an iPhone. And just log on to our laptop to print the result (although I suppose I could print directly from the email). 

Edited by BirdTravels

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We have used eMed for all of our cruises (Royal and NCL) with no problems at all. Fast. Easy. Efficient. Do my test at the kitchen table while sipping coffee. Test results within seconds of showing the proctor a negative result. Could not be more happy.... but we do have a spare kit in case there is a problem with the kit or with our test. 

We've always tested using an iPhone. And just log on to our laptop to print the result (although I suppose I could print directly from the email). 

Did you use a stand to hold your iPhone?