Reported symptoms on health assessment, now getting cancellation message. Help!

KmomChicago

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

I have seasonal allergies. I get a stuffy nose and a cough sometimes as a result. I know my body and I know these are not symptoms of COVID, they're just seasonal allergies. So I have no problem saying "no" when it asks me if I have shown those symptoms. Because with my negative test, my general lifestyle as a pensive recluse, and my history of seasonal allergies I know I do not have COVID.

I not only have season allergies, I also have chronic sinus issues.  Technically I would have to answer yes about any type of runny or clogged nose for every cruise I have been on.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

just a different interpretation. I too would have assumed the questions were to find out if you had covid symptoms. If I had a allergy and knew it i wouldnt have said yes to the symptoms.

You had to have know a yes answer would endanger your cruise. You even said you knew you were toying with a problem or some such.. so you knew saying yes would cause issues. 

I didn’t KNOW or I would have answered differently. I wasn’t sure if being honest was a good idea but when I talk about testing fate, I mean karma. I hoped doing the right thing would be fine. It might still be but I’m scared poop less now because I wasn’t hoping for an actual problem. I hoped it would be fine and obviously immediately regretted my choice. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I didn’t KNOW or I would have answered differently. I wasn’t sure if being honest was a good idea but when I talk about testing fate, I mean karma. I hoped doing the right thing would be fine. It might still be but I’m scared poop less now because I wasn’t hoping for an actual problem. I hoped it would be fine and obviously immediately regretted my choice. 

I really think everything will be fine. Please try not to get stressed out about it. John Heald has it right I think. The negative test do the trick. 

• Like 1

Honesty is always the best policy. Admitting to having any of the symptoms and presenting a 2 or 3 day prior negative test should allow Carnival's medical team to screen you again with questions about the nature of your ailment, taking your temperature, and possibly administering a PCR test. I think the end point is that you will have a great voyage.

• Like 1

It's a real comedy of errors.

And yes I am feeling like a massive idiot so go ahead and rub salt in if you like, I get it. I generally loathe myself more than the interwebs can so it will be fine.

I went and took my rapid NAAT test today which Walgreens website said would give results in 2 hours, and my husband got his, but not me. Turns out it can take up to 24 hours. On top of that, I gave them the WRONG email address (one extra character) when I set up the appointment so I will never get the email results as they cannot edit that now. IF the test results come back by 11pm tonight they will print them out and I can drive over to the store for them.

Sooo I went ahead and booked the $100 test at the cruise terminal through Carnival. I know I don't have Covid. My health assessment in the cruise planner is not considered completed and it is still telling me to do so, but when I try that pop up is there.  It's possible I'm not really flagged at all as I would think I'd be complete, even if maybe badly complete or whatever. I also can't do my husband's health assessment. It's like it's locked up.  So in any case we are going to have to manually do the health assessment at the port. 

Maybe I will get results later tonight and maybe not but with the way things are going, I won't and if I don't schedule the port test they'll be sold out or unavailable and that will end up being my downfall here. . We are leaving early in the morning for the airport so I won't be able to drive back to Walgreens after that, obviously. 

Maybe the reason I'm screwing this up so bad is to make me super duper grateful when it all miraculously works out anyway.  And yes I will handle the situation differently next time, which is very soon, a 4 night on Radiance out of Long Beach CA on May 30. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

It's a real comedy of errors.

And yes I am feeling like a massive idiot so go ahead and rub salt in if you like, I get it. I generally loathe myself more than the interwebs can so it will be fine.

I went and took my rapid NAAT test today which Walgreens website said would give results in 2 hours, and my husband got his, but not me. Turns out it can take up to 24 hours. On top of that, I gave them the WRONG email address (one extra character) when I set up the appointment so I will never get the email results as they cannot edit that now. IF the test results come back by 11pm tonight they will print them out and I can drive over to the store for them.

Sooo I went ahead and booked the $100 test at the cruise terminal through Carnival. I know I don't have Covid. My health assessment in the cruise planner is not considered completed and it is still telling me to do so, but when I try that pop up is there.  It's possible I'm not really flagged at all as I would think I'd be complete, even if maybe badly complete or whatever. I also can't do my husband's health assessment. It's like it's locked up.  So in any case we are going to have to manually do the health assessment at the port. 

Maybe I will get results later tonight and maybe not but with the way things are going, I won't and if I don't schedule the port test they'll be sold out or unavailable and that will end up being my downfall here. . We are leaving early in the morning for the airport so I won't be able to drive back to Walgreens after that, obviously. 

Maybe the reason I'm screwing this up so bad is to make me super duper grateful when it all miraculously works out anyway.  And yes I will handle the situation differently next time, which is very soon, a 4 night on Radiance out of Long Beach CA on May 30. 

Oh I don’t want to stress you but check with Carnival what needs to be on the paper copy. 

we sailed the end of March and Walgreens was having an issue with emails. They printed me a copy. I picked it up the next day and did some running around. By the time I got back to the hotel the email had arrived. 

When I went to put the information from the paper copy into the VeriFLY it didn’t contain some of the information I needed, like time and who did the test. 

I don’t know how strict they were with hard copies so maybe it doesn’t matter. I just wanted to let you know. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Oh I don’t want to stress you but check with Carnival what needs to be on the paper copy. 

we sailed the end of March and Walgreens was having an issue with emails. They printed me a copy. I picked it up the next day and did some running around. By the time I got back to the hotel the email had arrived. 

When I went to put the information from the paper copy into the VeriFLY it didn’t contain some of the information I needed, like time and who did the test. 

I don’t know how strict they were with hard copies so maybe it doesn’t matter. I just wanted to let you know. 

Thanks for the tip. I feel like I better just plan to do the test at port at this point. I already booked and paid for it. Meanwhile my teen had a good idea, create an email account with the address error - and it seems to have been available - so I did so. Maybe I will get the results that way. Or not. I'm also on hold with Carnival to see why the health assessment won't show complete and see if they can unlock it or something. Maybe I can get this resolved. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

People are so judgemental and snippy on here sometimes.  Hope you have a great stress-free cruise. Please keep us updated.  Thanks for posting to forewarn us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I am so sorry you are having such a stressful time with this, especially when you were only trying to do the right thing. I REALLY hope that you'll get your test at the terminal and be on board soon and all of this hassle will be a distant memory.

I have a general rule of thumb for answering the health assessment form:

I do not check yes when I know any of the symptoms they have listed is expected and normal for me at the time of the cruise; i.e.,; runny nose when the pollen count is high with my known allergens, or when I was on a one year regime of a post cancer treatment drug that cause me gastrointestinal problems.

46 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I am so sorry you are having such a stressful time with this, especially when you were only trying to do the right thing. I REALLY hope that you'll get your test at the terminal and be on board soon and all of this hassle will be a distant memory.

I'm fine Travel Girl. Walgreens was able to give me the printout this morning, DH and I are both negative, and I assume all is well.  I will only do the terminal test if for some reason they don't "like" the printout, but it looks pretty official to me. I'm not stressed anymore. I'm doing all I can and I'll do better next time.  Thanks for the supportive comments.  

I also called Carnival late last night for another opinion. Like JH, they said it's fine as long as I have a negative test to present at embarkation, and it's not uncommon for people to report symptoms, test negative, and board the cruise.  She also said they are only canceling based on the health assessment if the person selects "uses oxygen" as they can't support that safety onboard right now. That restores my faith in humanity considering as we all seem to agree, people have "congestion" constantly for various reason and I'd like to believe some people answer that question without assuming you are supposed to interpret that congestion ONLY means Covid congestion.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

That restores my faith in humanity considering as we all seem to agree, people have "congestion" constantly for various reason and I'd like to believe some people answer that question without assuming you are supposed to interpret that congestion ONLY means Covid congestion.

There is a thing called common sense.

If one knows the cause of that congestion or other symptoms and it is is a common occurrence or condition, there is no reason to flag oneself.

I recently came home from an eleven day cruise. The night before disembarkation, I developed a scratchy throat and a mild cough. My noise was runny the next morning as we disembarked and we drove home (one hour from port).

The pollen count was ten (scale of 1 -10) for my tree allergens and I would normally put it down to allergies. However, my eyes were not itching (the "wanna scratch them out with a fork" itching).

So I tested and I was positive.  

That is knowing my own body and what is normal.

21 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

We are working on alternate plans if we are turned away at the pier. I can get a great rate on a rental car for a week. Galveston itself is a beach resort town. Boo hoo, poor Kmom doesn’t know when to break the rules and now maybe she has first world problems.

I think we’ll be okay but having a plan B and a prepared mindset will exponentially reduce the stress of a nasty surprise. 

I'm with you Kmom.  Not knowing when to lie seems to be looked down upon by many.... apparently those of us who are honest are stupid for not knowing how to scr3w the system.... sigh.  Good luck to you - hopefully your test will override anything else.

21 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I knew it was a risk. I thought about answering differently. 

Long story short: I am sorry you are going through this and I am glad you posted about it so that other people will know not to answer technically truthfully (when they know they are Covid negative) for something like allergies or a cold that they know isn't Covid because apparently the autobots will kick you off your cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

There is a thing called common sense.

If one knows the cause of that congestion or other symptoms and it is is a common occurrence or condition, there is no reason to flag oneself.

I recently came home from an eleven day cruise. The night before disembarkation, I developed a scratchy throat and a mild cough. My noise was runny the next morning as we disembarked and we drove home (one hour from port).

The pollen count was ten (scale of 1 -10) for my tree allergens and I would normally put it down to allergies. However, my eyes were not itching (the "wanna scratch them out with a fork" itching).

So I tested and I was positive.  

That is knowing my own body and what is normal.

And the fact that the allergens did not come out to the ship the night before to greet you home.

19 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Long story short: I am sorry you are going through this and I am glad you posted about it so that other people will know not to answer technically truthfully (when they know they are Covid negative) for something like allergies or a cold that they know isn't Covid because apparently the autobots will kick you off your cruise.  

Thanks Eli. All is well. I think we’ll prevail over the autobots but they are certainly irritating little artificially intelligent creatures. And yes the lesson is not to engage them in friendly debate in the first place.

We’re at O’Hare now so we’ll get out of Chicagoland at least. It’s another rainy day in a spring that hasn’t been very springlike so far.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

We’re at O’Hare now so we’ll get out of Chicagoland at least. It’s another rainy day in a spring that hasn’t been very springlike so far.

The weather is warm and sunny down here, and you should have a beautiful sailaway tomorrow! The tree pollen allergens are still through the roof here - they've been calling it "oakpocalypse" - but at least you havwe your negative results and you'll know it's not covid. 🙂 Have an awesome time on our favorite ship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

And the fact that the allergens did not come out to the ship the night before to greet you home.

Actually, no.

We were cruising north to the port of Tampa along the coast of Florida. We were close enough that the various lights on the coast could be seen from the ship. 

We probably was close enough to enter the ship's channel for Tampa around  3AM.

Wind was blowing at 20 mph out of the east (per navigation channel); i.e.; across the entire Florida peninsula from east to west and out to where our ship was cruising along the coast. 

So, yes, I thought it may have been pollen as it was tree pollen season here on the west coast of Florida.

It was the fact that my eyes weren't itching that made me wonder. And the Covid symptoms were so mild that that they were gone by Sunday (left ship on Friday morning).

On 4/21/2022 at 8:06 PM, KmomChicago said:

....Meanwhile my teen had a good idea, create an email account with the address error - and it seems to have been available - so I did so. Maybe I will get the results that way. Or not..... 

I was so proud of your teen for their creative thinking skills! Did you get the results emailed to this new account? I'm (probably way too) curious!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaucyWench said:

I was so proud of your teen for their creative thinking skills! Did you get the results emailed to this new account? I'm (probably way too) curious!!!

My teen is a smartie! ❤️Not as of this morning when we left the house. I haven’t signed into that account from my phone yet and once Walgreens gave me the printout I decided that was good enough. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, KmomChicago said:

I knew it was a risk. I thought about answering differently. 

I just want to say, having been following this, while you may regret it now - I commend you for being honest in your answers.  Too many people think it is OK to be less than honest because it gets them what they want - you probably don't have Covid.  But how many people are lying in their answers and don't know what it is they may or may not have and it could be Covid, but they just don't care. They risk the health of others around them for their own selfish reasons.  

Karma is a !@#%@

I am sure you will have to go through a bit more rigmarole for check in, but you did the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I just want to say, having been following this, while you may regret it now - I commend you for being honest in your answers.  Too many people think it is OK to be less than honest because it gets them what they want - you probably don't have Covid.  But how many people are lying in their answers and don't know what it is they may or may not have and it could be Covid, but they just don't care. They risk the health of others around them for their own selfish reasons.  

Karma is a !@#%@

I am sure you will have to go through a bit more rigmarole for check in, but you did the right thing.

Thank you so much. Your minority opinion is refreshing and appreciated.