Honest reviews on MDR beef dishes?

baelor

4 minutes ago, Booking It said:

The strip steak that is offered every night is awful. I was expecting a proper steak, and this was... like a really thin slice of meat. 

That sounds...not great.  I am glad that they have it available for passengers, but I imagine the quality of ingredients and prep is hampered by making it an option every night.

The short rib in the MDR is hit and miss.  Sometimes it is good and other times it is very fatty.

We were on Symphony in February and did Central Park 150 twice.  First time was very good which is why we went back a second time.  Second time was disappointing.  Wife's fish was way over cooked and the short rib was very fatty and not much beef.

On the Harmony - the MDR and beef was really hit or miss. The ONLY consistency was that it was NEVER cooked to order.  My prime rib, which I ordered medium, was presented with an almost giddy flair:  "Here you go, Madam. Bloody rare!!" I didn't mind, tho, because it was tender and absolutely delicious.  (I order other cuts of beef bloody.)

The so-called Beef Stroganoff was so awful that my introverted, never complaining DH, sent it back saying it was inedible.

The lamb chops were tasty, but fatty, BTW.

• Like 1

Just off the Odyssey and ate lots of the beef dishes.  I thought the prime rib, strip steak, steak au poivre and beef tenderloin were all fantastic.  I ordered all of them medium rare.  The prime rib is my least favorite because it can be a little too fatty for my likes.  I also had lunch one day in the dining room and had the steak frites, which is a sirloin w/ fries.  The sirloin was fantastic.  My mom had the beef stroganoff in the dining room and thought the pickles on it was strange.  She enjoyed the dish though, I personally would not eat it.  I also tried the beef carparcio appetizer in the MDR for the first time this trip.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much flavor there was and would certainly order it again.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, homedepot124 said:

One more thing.  The prime rib on Brilliance OTS in March was much better than the prime rib on Symphony in February. 

I agree that the prime rib isn’t consistent. Some times it’s good and the last time on Oasis it was the strangest texture. Almost like it wasn’t real meat but I’m sure it was. 

5 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

Just off the Odyssey and ate lots of the beef dishes.  I thought the prime rib, strip steak, steak au poivre and beef tenderloin were all fantastic.  I ordered all of them medium rare.  The prime rib is my least favorite because it can be a little too fatty for my likes.  I also had lunch one day in the dining room and had the steak frites, which is a sirloin w/ fries.  The sirloin was fantastic.  My mom had the beef stroganoff in the dining room and thought the pickles on it was strange.  She enjoyed the dish though, I personally would not eat it.  I also tried the beef carparcio appetizer in the MDR for the first time this trip.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much flavor there was and would certainly order it again.  

I don't remember pickles in RCs version of Beef Stroganoff. I liked it and had it each time on our Explorer B2B cruise. 

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Why? Even the CDC (which says there's all sorts of food rules we should follow that no one does) and USDA say medium rare pork is safe.

Truth here. Cook to an internal temperature of 145 F taken at the thickest part; that should be a nice medium rare. The parasite that used to be of concern in undercooked pork (mainly Trichinella) is quite rare in the US now in farm-raised pork as feeding methods have evolved.  That being said; I'd be sure to cook any wild pork or pork raised in a forage situation to well done.  That and ground pork.

(I work in gov't food safety...)

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, baelor said:

Thanks.  I think our inclination at this point is to skip Chops and opt for 150 CP, Wonderland, and a third restaurant (maybe either Jamie's or Hooked).

My wife loves the short ribs in Jamie's!!!

Just piling on that the food in the MDR is consistently inconsistent. I have done a B2B pre-covid (ie., not a supply issue) where the food was great one week and just so-so the next (the head chef changed between the two B2Bs and for what-ever reason the quality of the food did as well). I have done a couple of cruises post-covid where what is listed on the menu is NOT what they actually ended up having due to supply constraints. On my last 7-day cruise it was kind of a "what-ever they happened to have in the kitchen" type of situation. It was evident that even the "classics" were being modified since they were missing ingredients and thus doing substitutions (seams they must have had a ton of tomato broth since a lot of the normal cream soups somehow ended up being tomato soups). 

Not that it was all bad. On the Adventure in December all the meats were great. The prime rib in the MDR was absolutely fantastic. HUGE slices, well-seasoned, cooked perfectly, etc. Pretty much as good as I have had at any high-end steak-house (Ruth's Chris, etc.). Only downside on that trip is that they did not have any lamb dished. They did have some substitutions in both the MDR and WJ but nothing major. 

Flash forward a few months to my trip on Liberty and the food wasn't even close to the same as previous (I have done 10 cruises on Liberty so have a pretty decent baseline). Prime rib was a huge let-down compared to what we had on Adventure (thin, not a lot of taste, and somewhat a mushy texture). Unfortunately, you never know until you order it and it shows up in front of you. All the other meats seemed overly "processed" (i.e., were tender but not actually tasty). My guess is that on this cruise they got their meat from a different source (likely a much cheaper supplier).     

First three are all very good, Strogenhoff not so great and strip, hit and miss. We have found on a 7 day cruise that often both the prime rib and the tenderloin are offered twice and we often eat beef 5 of the 7 nights.