Complimentary Wine List

John117

We disembarked Ovation in Lisbon two weeks ago ( wish we were still on board)and the list posted above by Margbem has the wines that we could choose with the exception of the Trivento Malbec.

We had a great time, met up with lots of people that we had met on previous cruises over the years, and we are still pretty rubbish at Trivia!

• Like 2

At first glance that list seems geared towards American clientele?  There are not many that I recognise as being available in the UK and those that I do I would class as standard supermarket plonk 😁

Research required methinks😋

I love the word “plonk”!  Very descriptive!  As an American grocery store shopper, I would imagine that “plonk” would describe the bottles on the bottom shelf, priced below $10 and used for cooking purposes.  That said, there seems to be a lot of bottles from mass market wineries that do appear in grocery stores in the $15-20 bottle range.  Living in the vast wasteland of suburbia, not all of us have access to a nice bottle shop and the grocery store wine selection is what we have to make do with.  Personally, I get a lot of nice wines delivered to my door from the west coast via the big brown truck…sadly I don’t see any of those wines listed here either.  

9 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

At first glance that list seems geared towards American clientele?  There are not many that I recognise as being available in the UK and those that I do I would class as standard supermarket plonk 😁

Research required methinks😋

I've long argued that the luxury cruise lines should offer wines in between the "complimentary" list and the "connoisseur" list.   Probably not going to happen.  The whites on the list are passable for lunch or a cocktail.   Also excellent for wine wine spritzers 😲 😁.   When on vacation we like a nicer bottle of wine with dinner so we now just budget to pay extra most nights.   The connoisseur lists are usually reasonable and start around $75.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was doing my research of the premium list on Cellar Tracker and some of the bottles are coming up as more expensive than the the price listed on the Seabourn wine list!  I agree with the poster above, a nice bottle of wine at dinner makes all the difference.  I have my eye on several bottles I would like to “upgrade” to at dinner that I would consider to be a good value.

21 hours ago, Asquare said:

I was doing my research of the premium list on Cellar Tracker and some of the bottles are coming up as more expensive than the the price listed on the Seabourn wine list!  I agree with the poster above, a nice bottle of wine at dinner makes all the difference.  I have my eye on several bottles I would like to “upgrade” to at dinner that I would consider to be a good value.

Care to share your research.  I promise not to drink it all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What concerns me about the list is the age of the wines. Most wines at this price point are best consumed within 1-2 years of vintage. Hopefully all their pre-pandemic stock will have been finished before my September cruise.

23 hours ago, Asquare said:

was doing my research of the premium list on Cellar Tracker and some of the bottles are coming up as more expensive than the the price listed on the Seabourn wine list!  I agree with the poster above, a nice bottle of wine at dinner makes all the difference.  I have my eye on several bottles I would like to “upgrade” to at dinner that I would consider to be a good value.

Good idea! Our next cruise is well into next year. No doubt the listing will change but it will be worthwhile keeping an eye on the old and néw ones for common denominators and research accordingly.

I use wine-searcher as pricing reference.   Only SB, that I know of, pours its house wines in mini wine glasses.  The wine subject is a routine topic on here.  If bottles are decently priced, I'm all for paying.

I can usually find a house wine that can be had for a day, but not more than two consecutive days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, saminina said:

Only SB, that I know of, pours its house wines in mini wine glasses. 

12 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

That's outrageous!!  

It might be outrageous if it were true.

The "standard" glasses hold maybe 8 oz. white and 10 oz. red;  the "revenue" glasses are almost twice as large.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, saminina said:

A mini wine glass is......that's a good question.   You will see once on board.   It's not a big deal.   It's kind of comical watching adults drinking wine out of a glass designed for children.

Not a big deal?  Sounds awful, you would think at least from a worker productivity stand point it makes no sense.  Can you bring your own glass?  

I would expect a luxury cruise line would serve wine in a Riedel-quality of wine glass, if not, Riedel itself, in the dining venues and in the Lounges.  Out on deck, around the pool, perhaps a lesser quality of glass would be acceptable.  I use Riedel glasses at home.  Why would I accept a lesser quality when I am paying significant sums of money/day on Seabourn?  Or on any luxury cruise line?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh no!  A mini wine glass sounds terrible!  I am really picky about my wine glasses.  I don’t know that I want to go to the trouble of packing my own glassware, either.  I agree with rkacruiser.  Even on Princess they have decent quality wine glasses.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I did not think Seabourn had butlers as the glass article suggested?