A Fractured LIVE - Fractured My Ankle on Carnival Spirit - In hospital in Cartagena

TravelBluebird

Sorry your crutches are too tall.  Just makes it harder.  You might look at getting a knee roller when you get home.  So much easier than crutches.  Though my arms always get in nice shape when I have to do crutches.  Continued wishes for a safe journey home and a speedy recovery

• Like 1

I’m not at home so don’t have access to my insurance info, but you can check them out at www.emergency assistance plus.com

if crutches are giving you a problem, see if your doctor at home will prescribe a knee scooter for you.  Or for short trips around the house get a walker.   The roll at or, which has a seat is very handy and has brakes you can set, but a plain old walker that you can find at any garage sale r thrift shop will do, if y our insurance won’t cover it.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

Sorry your crutches are too tall.  Just makes it harder.  You might look at getting a knee roller when you get home.  So much easier than crutches.  Though my arms always get in nice shape when I have to do crutches.  Continued wishes for a safe journey home and a speedy recovery

@lazydayz I am definitely going to investigate the knee rollers. Although I wouldn’t mind more toned arms. Haven’t been terribly hungry since the injury; first time I’ll come home from a cruise (well, sort of) and will have lost weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I’m not at home so don’t have access to my insurance info, but you can check them out at www.emergency assistance plus.com

if crutches are giving you a problem, see if your doctor at home will prescribe a knee scooter for you.  Or for short trips around the house get a walker.   The roll at or, which has a seat is very handy and has brakes you can set, but a plain old walker that you can find at any garage sale r thrift shop will do, if y our insurance won’t cover it.

I will check it out!

Just was talking about a knee scooter above; that seems to be a good solution (plus I hear you can get a basket on them since with crutches your hands are useless) which sounds like it would be useful around the house.  

We are all packed up for the plane journey home tomorrow. I’ve been resting with my ankle elevated as much as possible since tomorrow I won’t have much ability to do that. Now we just wait for the COVID test at 7am tomorrow then we’ll be on our way. Although I am truly dreading the plane journey, I am looking forward to being home.

• Like 7

Hi,

My experience:

We have a medical supply service here (Apria) 

You call and they drop off things like scooters, wheelchairs, shower chairs…for a rental fee, and when you are done, they pick everything up I even got a waterproof shower cover for my cast

We rented a small lightweight wheel chair that fit in the trunk of our small car, and was so easy to use

With it, I didn’t miss out on our theater performances or dinner dates

I did have to specify which side of the wheelchair to put the attachment that kept my leg elevated 

I wish you well

My dear husband has a saying that helps me and might help you get through tomorrow: “There will never be another day like today” 

• Like 1

I was on crutches twice for broken foot then for the surgery 6 months later to put a screw in as it would not heal.  Both times the first month was non weight bearing.  I live in a bilevel and worked from home which bedroom up and office down.  My husband was like oh it easy to do stairs-nope not doing it.  Figured out how to go up and down on my butt and taking my crutches with me.  Now food during the day was a challenge as I was by myself so my keurig went in my office and I had bread and lunch meat in the fridge in the utility room and used a bag with a handle to carry things in.  I was allowed a knee scooter but I actually did well on the crutches but they have to be the right fit.  Make sure your hand grips are in the right place.  

I was proud of my strength built up in my arms and I was 61 at the time.  You do what you have to do.

Good luck on your journey home!

1 hour ago, ginabab said:

Hi,

My experience:

We have a medical supply service here (Apria) 

You call and they drop off things like scooters, wheelchairs, shower chairs…for a rental fee, and when you are done, they pick everything up I even got a waterproof shower cover for my cast

We rented a small lightweight wheel chair that fit in the trunk of our small car, and was so easy to use

With it, I didn’t miss out on our theater performances or dinner dates

I did have to specify which side of the wheelchair to put the attachment that kept my leg elevated 

I wish you well

My dear husband has a saying that helps me and might help you get through tomorrow: “There will never be another day like today” 

@ginabab Thank you for this helpful information. Rental seems to be a good way to go to get what I will need.

And your husband’s saying is a good one—you are right, tomorrow is just one day and it will be over! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteOptima said:

I was on crutches twice for broken foot then for the surgery 6 months later to put a screw in as it would not heal.  Both times the first month was non weight bearing.  I live in a bilevel and worked from home which bedroom up and office down.  My husband was like oh it easy to do stairs-nope not doing it.  Figured out how to go up and down on my butt and taking my crutches with me.  Now food during the day was a challenge as I was by myself so my keurig went in my office and I had bread and lunch meat in the fridge in the utility room and used a bag with a handle to carry things in.  I was allowed a knee scooter but I actually did well on the crutches but they have to be the right fit.  Make sure your hand grips are in the right place.  

I was proud of my strength built up in my arms and I was 61 at the time.  You do what you have to do.

Good luck on your journey home!

@WhiteOptima I am expecting to use the “butt scoot” to get to my bedroom tomorrow night after travel.  We have a large laundry room and may set up a mini-kitchen in it  (coffee machine, small fridge or cooler, microwave) so when my husband can’t be there all day, I can prepare some light food. Luckily, he is retired so will be with me most of the time. He has 2 short trips planned in the next 8 weeks so one of my children may be able to come to the house to assist for those.

Like you I work from home (gotta afford my cruises somehow!) and my office is luckily on the same level as my bedroom.  Working on that crutch fit and I can see where the arm strength will happen!

Indeed, we do what we have to do. Travelers in particular are a resilient bunch. If you travel you have to be able to adjust to a change in plans or circumstances on a dime, flexibility is so important. Look at the way we all had to adjust to post-covid cruise travel.  No one wants an injury like you or I had, but we are some of the people best equipped to get through it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hockeyluver said:

So sorry to hear of your accident .  Praying for a full fast recovery and safe travels home !! I will be looking into more into our travel insurance tomorrow!!  It is through our credit card.   

Safe travels !

@hockeyluver. Thank you!  I’m happy that my experience has made others decide to get travel insurance or look more closely at the insurance they already have. It was right here at Cruise Critic that I first learned that you could buy yearly travel insurance plans that covered all your travel. I had no idea; I always thought you had to buy the insurance per trip from the cruise or touring company.

Definitely a silver lining for me, that others could learn from my medical emergency.

• Like 3

I’m off to sleep early tonight since we have our required COVID test to fly to the USA tomorrow at 7am. 

I’ll leave you with some photos my husband took on his walk today, of the Old City in Cartagena, the beach near the hotel, and the neighborhood of Bocagrande where we are staying.

If you get a chance to come to Cartagena on a cruise (or otherwise), you won’t be disappointed. Its a city filled with history yet also extremely cosmopolitan. This is my first time in South America (not the way I wanted to do it, but YAY one continent to go, Antartica!).  I am disappointed I did not get to explore the city, but I would like the chance to visit again.

My husband said that he has felt very safe walking around this part of Cartagena, in case you are wondering. And the people here have been wonderful to us.

6AA2EB52-8AD4-48CE-9038-8364F772C73B.jpeg

95AEECE6-768C-4C93-A2F5-649E4208E7CB.jpeg

91621EB7-3373-43E1-8589-E749309F31CA.jpeg

6697BE28-1FBB-428A-AEA5-F54EEA6573F7.jpeg

0834DBB6-4D2D-4AC6-9AD0-2FE3F08A79FD.jpeg

40658A57-CF65-411A-9E96-DB99286690BF.jpeg

1AFC6476-1313-443D-B056-F432DD853784.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12

Another option instead of crutches is a device called an iwalk.  It is basically a peg leg that allows you to walk freely so you have use of both hands.  It is great for things like cooking or daily chores so you have use of your hands.

• Like 1

@TravelBluebird  Just now reading this.😲  Was hoping to see your Panama Canal transit. but reading your "escape from Columbia" journey is very enlightening. Truly a poster post on the need for travel insurance.  And  a poster post on maintaining a positive attitude in face of adversity as well.

Wishing you safe travels home and as speedy of recovery as you can manage.  So many cruises coming up you can't miss..  Best and prayers up!

Crew

• Like 3

Today is the long travel day home.  I take all of your kind words, prayers and thoughts with me, Thank you all so much.

We had our COVID tests right after 7am  in our hotel room; we will have our results in 2 hours. Those HAVE to be NEGATIVE after all this, right?

Also our Carnival liaison has arranged a wheelchair for me from the hotel room to the car (no steps but a long corridor from room to elevator). I’ve still been having trouble with the too-tall crutches and almost fell last night (thankfully I didn’t but I did wrench a muscle), so I’m grateful for the wheelchair.

We hope American has pulled a First Class seat out of their hat for the first flight!

• Like 7

prayers for negative covid tests...and safe travels home...I can remember leaving St. Thomas after accident we were in...even though we were not hurt...it was traumatic having to leave ship...seeing our friend having to be jetted back to the states....spending the night in St. Thomas....getting flights...ended up flying into Philly...then Raleigh...Kids picked us up at 12 midnight two days after we left the ship....but I will say the port authority people...and volunteers at the hospital were wonderful.  I sincerely hope your recovery goes well and you are back to traveling soon!!

• Like 4

Wishing you well for your flights home. I hope you won't be too uncomfortable. 

I don't think I have seen this posted, but see if your doctor at home can help you get a handicapped parking placard for your car. When I broke my tibia and fibula (plate and 12 screws) my doctor signed the form for this. It really helped when I had doctor and PT appointments and could also be put in a friend's car if someone else was driving me. I also went the rental route for a walker when I first came home from the hospital. The company handled delivery and pick-up with a phone call. Best of luck. 

• Like 5

I feel your pain.  In 2019 I broke my ankle and it looked similar to yours.  I had to stay off my ankle for six weeks so we rented a knee scooter for getting around the house.  I found that easier than using the crutches.  I pray you have a speedy recovery.  This is an x-ray of my ankle after surgery and I'd bet your ankle looks similar.  I'm fully recovered but even now when I hear or read of someone breaking their ankle it makes me cringe.

994685202_Scan_20190201_5-Copy.thumb.jpg.b83de8ea80b3a04b99dfc1af4278024b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Today is the long travel day home.  I take all of your kind words, prayers and thoughts with me, Thank you all so much.

We had our COVID tests right after 7am  in our hotel room; we will have our results in 2 hours. Those HAVE to be NEGATIVE after all this, right?

Also our Carnival liaison has arranged a wheelchair for me from the hotel room to the car (no steps but a long corridor from room to elevator). I’ve still been having trouble with the too-tall crutches and almost fell last night (thankfully I didn’t but I did wrench a muscle), so I’m grateful for the wheelchair.

We hope American has pulled a First Class seat out of their hat for the first flight!

my prayer for you is an uneventful flight and a quick (as fast as it can be) recovery.  

virtual hugs from texas!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I feel your pain.  In 2019 I broke my ankle and it looked similar to yours.  I had to stay off my ankle for six weeks so we rented a knee scooter for getting around the house.  I found that easier than using the crutches.  I pray you have a speedy recovery.  This is an x-ray of my ankle after surgery and I'd bet your ankle looks similar.  I'm fully recovered but even now when I hear or read of someone breaking their ankle it makes me cringe.

994685202_Scan_20190201_5-Copy.thumb.jpg.b83de8ea80b3a04b99dfc1af4278024b.jpg

Similar story to me! I feel your pain and still have a large scar and my ankle has never been the same. My screws were set a bit off and gait was permanently altered and now permanent supination on one side and burn through shoes like crazy. The scooters can be limited with spacing and more tiresome than using the spring loaded crutches. I used the same ones they use in pro sports for the big fellas and it really helped with the crutch fatigue. 

OP, might want to look into something like this. I used a different brand that was more heavy duty but similar design. Made life much easier. I feel for you and wish you speedy recovery.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennial-Medical-Motion-Ergonomic-Folding/dp/B011NXK1LU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=PUJ66KNIX8OX&keywords=spring%2Bloaded%2Bcrutches&qid=1650908848&sprefix=spring%2Bloaded%2Bcrut%2Caps%2C748&sr=8-5&th=1  

It does show the model I had down in the description (the red ones) that are called In Motion Underarm Crutch (heavy duty)  but it looks like Amazon is no longer selling them.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Thank you for sharing your entire adventure with CC.
I am planning a PC cruise. My maternal Grandparents met in Panama in 1930-1931, so I have a longing to see the country where they met. 

Note to all travelers:  BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! ✔️

• Like 1